Neil Young blasts Harper government for allowing development of Alberta oilsands

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"Shell's assessment projects that 185,872 hectares of wetlands in the area will be lost or altered as a result of the Jackpine Mine expansion and other industrial activity.

In order to mitigate impacts, the company has purchased about 730 hectares of former cattle pasture in northwestern Alberta to help compensate for 8,500 hectares of wetland that would be lost just from the expansion.

Shell has also drafted plans to move caribou and wood bison to a conservation offset zone. They also plan to create a compensation lake complete with fish and fauna in order to further mitigate impacts on wetlands and wildlife. "

That would be pretty funny if it wasn't going to actually happen. Good luck herding the buffs and boos.

Call it "Jackpine". Makes it sound all pristine wilderness and everything.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Pretty ridiculous isn't it.

The company actually comes out and admits they will be permanently destroying the land and Harper approves it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Considering Harper has stopped any progress on Northern Gateway because of environmental concerns, this should be an easy decision for him.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Pretty ridiculous isn't it.

The company actually comes out and admits they will be permanently destroying the land and Harper approves it.
You live in a place that didn't destroy pristine wilderness I take it. In other words your house didn't permanently "destroy" the land when it was built. How is land destroyed? Does it disappear?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I can use the word 'lost' instead of destroyed if you only accept Shell-speak.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm assuming lost means we won't get it back because it was oh.. what's that word again... Destroyed.

But if either of you think lost means something other than lost, then feel free to correct me.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You can always tell when the losing party is getting butthurt because the only thing they have in their toolbox is the lefty excuse.

Perfectly scripted Walt.

Oakley is proud.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Poor neocons. They never get cool rock stars supporting their cause. I wonder why that is...

Neil Young is cool?

Good grief.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You can always tell when the losing party is getting butthurt because the only thing they have in their toolbox is the lefty excuse.

Perfectly scripted Walt.

Oakley is proud.

It's funny but when the lefties pull out the 'neocon' card that is considered a valid counter-argument.

Personally, I don't care what Neil Young or Bono say. They are entertainers and I can enjoy their old music without caring about their political beliefs because they are just that -- entertainers. I also think they would be better off putting the energy they are wasting on politics into perhaps producing some good current music. It should be possible even if they need to use a walker to get to the recording studio. But until they do, there is always their old stuff.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's funny but when the lefties pull out the 'neocon' card that is considered a valid counter-argument.

Personally, I don't care what Neil Young or Bono say. They are entertainers and I can enjoy their old music without caring about their political beliefs because they are just that -- entertainers. I also think they would be better off putting the energy they are wasting on politics into perhaps producing some good current music. It should be possible even if they need to use a walker to get to the recording studio. But until they do, there is always their old stuff.

Hollywood actors and entertainment personalities are very important to the left. They look to people who can sing, act, and walk the runway for leadership and guidance.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Whether or not you agree with his position, you cannot dispute there will be a significant loss. This was admitted by Shell itself.