Native Band Loses Their Land To Rising Sea Levels

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Biloxi-Chitimacha-Choctaw just received $48 Million to move off of their disappearing south Louisiana island.

The Isle de Jean Charles has been reduced from 11 miles long and five miles wide in the 1950s, to around a quarter-mile wide and two miles long today. The tribe’s disintegrating homelands have already displaced and scattered many families, and some of the funding will pay for homes to re-establish community.

Biloxi-Chitimacha-Choctaw Get $48 Million to Move Off of Disappearing Louisiana Island - ICTMN.com

Much has been made of small Alaska Native villages falling prey to erosion and sea level rise way up near the Arctic. But similar problems are being faced in the Lower 48 as well, specifically coastal tribes in Louisiana whose members are seeing their small island being slowly devoured by the Gulf of Mexico.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/01/30/louisiana-tribes-battle-rising-gulf-waters-158965

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
River deltas are notoriously unstable. Tuktoyaktuk has the same problem at the mouth of the vast MacKenzie delta.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Just a quick research check, oil drilling, logging and levee's built on the Mississippi contributed more to the erosion of this Island than global warming.

I guess when you're grasping at straws there's no lie you won't tell.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Right, right, because coastal areas never disappear to flooding unless humans are pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.
Want to have some "fun"? Look up all the ancient cities, towns, villages and settlements that were built along a coastal area that are now under water and have been since long before the Industrial Revolution.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
They're even telling us now that a Brexit would lead to more global warming. Talk about scaremongering.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What's the penalty for falsely screaming fire in a theater? Will these corrupt advocates of carbon sequestration and global warming scare mongering be brought to justice? Will they be made to pay the already huge costs associated with political bullshjt?

Always wondered why anyone would build on land that is below sea level.

The availabilty of sea food.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
What's the penalty for falsely screaming fire in a theater? Will these corrupt advocates of carbon sequestration and global warming scare mongering be brought to justice? Will they be made to pay the already huge costs associated with political bullshjt?

The availabilty of sea food.
New Orleans is famous for it's seafood that's for sure. I worked there for a short spell after Katrina it sure was a mess.