Kathleen Wynne rips Monte McNaughton over sex-ed protest speech

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
All good points D.M. - As far as behaviour goes, I think young people run the gamut. I've met a lot of nice polite young people and I think the ones that draw attention to themselves acting out are in the minority. Is there a need to do math the way we used to do it doing multiplication long hand adding up columns of figures on a piece of paper? We did it that way because there was no other way (battery operated calculators were unheard of (at least at an affordable price) until the mid 70s- unless you were handy at logarithms. I still know how to multiply 12 X 12 but it doesn't serve any useful purpose unless you are stranded out in the bush with nothing but your wits & for some reason have to multiply 12 X 12. Facing modern day reality maybe the ability to change with the times is more important than clinging to old dogmatic procedures (much as I hate the change) :)
i am still laughing,
JLM,it is best to try not to undue something that already has,
your response makes the whole conversation worse,therefore funny,
silly person,now excuse me while i laugh.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
i am still laughing,
JLM,it is best to try not to undue something that already has,
your response makes the whole conversation worse,therefore funny,
silly person,now excuse me while i laugh.

You are entirely entitled to your own opinion! (not that there are two consecutive words of it that are understandable) :) :) :) :) (How does one undue something that already has?)

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
You are entirely entitled to your own opinion! (not that there are two consecutive words of it that are understandable) :) :) :) :) (How does one undue something that already has?)
or something like that,just don't read my "no two consecutive word" blogs,what can i say.
i never make sense,don't you remember.
just skip on to the next response my friend,no sense reading stuff you don't enjoy.
i enjoy reading your opinions without prejustice.
you don't know what undoing something that is long beyond its expiry date is,that's o.k.
keep on writing,i enjoy your views.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not sure about Canada, but in the U.S. the teen pregnancy rate peaked in 1958. That's right, 1958. When Ike was President, Chevys were the car everybody wanted, everybody loved Jesus, TV was black and white, and society wasn't. It's been dropping steadily since.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not sure about Canada, but in the U.S. the teen pregnancy rate peaked in 1958. That's right, 1958. When Ike was President, Chevys were the car everybody wanted, everybody loved Jesus, TV was black and white, and society wasn't. It's been dropping steadily since.

Sounds about right!

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
All good points D.M. - As far as behaviour goes, I think young people run the gamut. I've met a lot of nice polite young people and I think the ones that draw attention to themselves acting out are in the minority. Is there a need to do math the way we used to do it doing multiplication long hand adding up columns of figures on a piece of paper? We did it that way because there was no other way (battery operated calculators were unheard of (at least at an affordable price) until the mid 70s- unless you were handy at logarithms. I still know how to multiply 12 X 12 but it doesn't serve any useful purpose unless you are stranded out in the bush with nothing but your wits & for some reason have to multiply 12 X 12. Facing modern day reality maybe the ability to change with the times is more important than clinging to old dogmatic procedures (much as I hate the change) :)

I get where you are coming from JLM. There were things taught in the old days that were dropped from the curriculum because they were deemed unimportant.
But what those 'unimportant' things did was stimulate the learning process and discipline the mind. What comes to mind is the memory work we had to do. It served no useful function in adulthood but it did forced kids at the time to use their brains. There is no limit to what the brain can absorb, we don't use anywhere near our brain's capacity but the more we use it the sharper the mind becomes.
I learned formulae in school for finding the area of circles, triangles, etc. and never used them until in mid-life when I started renovating houses and suddenly it came back to me. I certainly made my endeavors much easier than if I had never learned them.
Once a thing is learned it stays in the mind forever. (The 3 'R's of memory: recognize, retain and recall). I don't see any reason why the old ways cannot be taught and the ability to change still be possible.
As I mentioned somewhere before, how everything comes to a standstill when a power outage occurs. All commerce would not have to stop if people still retained the old ways of calculating and recording. The way society is moving, there might come a time in the near future when we will need to know things that the kids now do not know.
Just my humble opinion, mind you; I enjoy the debate!

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

I should have mentioned too the changes I saw take place during my years of nursing. When I began in the early 1980s, there were charts kept as well as computerized records. The patient's care and comfort was always the priority. Then things began to change; handwritten charts were no longer, all data was computerized. The danger in this is how easy it is to make a mistake typing on a computer when meanings are always clear in handwriting. One wrong keystroke can easily result in a wrong medication or a wrong procedure. It has happened.
Also, the nursing procedures have become completely about technology. Hands-on nursing is not a priority any more and that results in a lack of comfort and confidence in the patient's senses of wellbeing. Hygiene and good nutrition which are vital to health care are no longer priorities.
There are other 'old ways' which were outlawed due to the new human rights too but too much and too off topic to go into here. Just suffice it to say, I was relieved to retire!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I should have mentioned too the changes I saw take place during my years of nursing. When I began in the early 1980s, there were charts kept as well as computerized records. The patient's care and comfort was always the priority. Then things began to change; handwritten charts were no longer, all data was computerized. The danger in this is how easy it is to make a mistake typing on a computer when meanings are always clear in handwriting. One wrong keystroke can easily result in a wrong medication or a wrong procedure. It has happened.
Also, the nursing procedures have become completely about technology. Hands-on nursing is not a priority any more and that results in a lack of comfort and confidence in the patient's senses of wellbeing. Hygiene and good nutrition which are vital to health care are no longer priorities.
There are other 'old ways' which were outlawed due to the new human rights too but too much and too off topic to go into here. Just suffice it to say, I was relieved to retire!
If you hate computers so much, one must wonder why you're sitting in front of one.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I hear you, especially about nutrition............hospital meals don't quite follow the wisdom of the dieticians. During my brief stays in hospital it did strike me they were serving quite a bit of processed foods!

I sometimes wonder if the data on teen pregnancy is only on pregnancies carried to term?

It's a two edged sword. From what we USED to hear, babies born of teen aged mothers were deemed to be the healthiest and women in their teens were at the best age for giving birth!) I guess like most other things the wisdom has changed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is no limit to what the brain can absorb, we don't use anywhere near our brain's capacity but the more we use it the sharper the mind becomes.
I learned formulae in school for finding the area of circles, triangles, etc. and never used them until in mid-life when I started renovating houses and suddenly it came back to me.

Which brings to mind the many changes to my old occupation- surveying. When I was in my heyday it was all done with mechanical instruments followed with painstaking calculations, so you had to actually understand the process. Nothing happened that wasn't checked, generally two or three times and by independent methods. Then in the '80s instruments that could both measure and calculate arrived on the scene, it certainly was a "dream come true" for some, BUT the fun was gone. In the old days the final proof often came after many days or weeks of a long process when the survey "closed" and a great feeling of exhilaration was felt. That is gone now!

Nnaaah I just needling someone that has me on ignore.........

That would be a good thing! :) :)