John Kerry supports the Troops...

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
And nobody said it didn't. I just said that that I didn't see that photograph as the Holy Grail. If I struck a nerve, I'm sorry, but so be it. Lots of men died in the second world war. A good many of them died in the two and a half years it took for the Americans to even get into that war.

No need for apologies #juan, I have come to expect nothing less from you. The only nerve you hit was your attempted revisionism. It would help an awful lot if you actually picked a history book instead of getting it from the internet. A reputable historian that can actually backup history with citations and historiographical analysis can go a very long way to support your skewed opinions.

There are always gray areas in history which you need a bit of critical thought to connect certain dots, the flag at Iwo Jima isn't one of those, and certainly not the "lateness" of the US into the second World War. There are reasons for everything, history is there for all to see, if you choose to do so.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Somebody is going to have to explain how that is "stabbing the military in the back." I honestly don't get it.
Oh by the way, when you use the term anti-american like its been trademarked, it really loses its effectiveness.
Congradulations on a comment that is completely useless and only serves to polorize the discussion. Expand the problem, that'll help things.:rolleyes:

Little Running Gag

You didn't get the whole point at the very first - yet most of the U.S. got it and resented it - from both sides of the ideological scale. The military are the guys in the middle remember? The students didn't need to be fed crap like Kerry delivered. He is a U.S. Senator and he acts like some kind of thug.

You then address Thomaska:
This is what I'm talking about. Whatever happened to open, frank debate? What ever happened to attacking the issue, not the party? We're never going to get anywhere insulting each other. It won't accomplish anything.

So........ I ask you Gag - why did you start your sarcasm in the first place - you weren' talking issues you were telling us "you didn't get" and went on to prove it. Anti-American has become well trademarked on Canadian forums. You guys are pretty creative but seem to stray from fact so often. We all feel like gatekeepers watching it happen.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I can't let Juan go around being the bigger man, so like I said before I know there are many examples of Canadian bravery in the military. So If I stepped on toes or hit a nerve, then I apologize as well.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thomaska

Well said - but I think there was no controversy here until Juan had his input. The Iwo Jima flag remark
will never be acceptable - and it has nothing to do with the honor and bravery of the Canadian Forces - ever. God bless em.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005

This is the clearest and most succinct I have ever heard Kerry. Normally he waffles.

The Bush administration has lost two wars. Afghanistan is on the edge and Iraq has been totally lost. One would have to be an idiot not to correlate the absence of any military experience among the top politicos and secretaries and these failures. And further in setting up the infrastructure and administration for the transference to democracy the lack of any experience seemed to be the number one criteria for employment. Outside of the military anyone with any competence was excluded from participating in Iraq.

Imperial Life in the Emerald City provides a detailed account of the staffing and organizational structure or lack thereof that was set up in Iraq. Failure in Iraq was not accidental.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Absolutely correct........I just finished reading that part in Flags of our Fathers, and came here to correct myself.

Flags of our Fathers is an excellent book, I finished reading it a couple weeks ago. I think I might have to check out the movie as well, it's supposed to be quite good.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I Was For This War Before I Was Against It.
-----------john Kerry In 2004 Presidential Campaign

I Was For This Joke Before I Was Against It.
------------john Kerry During 2006 Midterm Elections In Front Of School Kids.

I Was For Thinking Before I Was Against It, Therefore I Am......john Kerry.
----------------john Kerry After Reading Descartes

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Absolutely correct........I just finished reading that part in Flags of our Fathers, and came here to correct myself.

And didn't the photographer say, "Okay, who wants to be famous?", or have you read that yet?

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
And didn't the photographer say, "Okay, who wants to be famous?", or have you read that yet?

Did you read the part where Rene Gagnon is threatened by Ira Hayes if he gives up his name?

My grandfather was a Boatswain Mate Chief aboard the U.S.S. Wisconsin (BB-64) and was there at Iwo Jima when the Marines went ashore. He remembers the cheering and morale boost that happened when the Marines raised the first flag on Mt. Suribachi. He doesnt remember any other flag raisings. So maybe we could give some credit to eye-witness accounts instead of revisionist america haters? Just this once?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

According to the book, Rosenthal (the photographer) was distracted for a moment, turned and saw the flag going up, and snapped the photo without even looking through the view finder. A true "snap shot", if you get my drift. Dumb luck it turns out to be one of the most famous shots ever taken.

Nobody realized that it was anything special. The "posed" shot was the next one Rosenthal took, which was of 18 Marines gathered at the foot of the flagpole............he might have said "Who wants to be famous" then, but it doesn't mention it in the book, as I recall.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Colpy

Thanks for all the information sharing. I think I'll just hang here and I won't need to get the book ....lol

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Curiosity,

You need to learn how to quote people. The way you did it made it look like I was addressing one person, instead of two people on two different topics.

I pointed out to JU that I didn't understand how Kerry stabbed anyone in the back by using that picture in his book (except perhaps those few troops that raised that flag a half century ago). I also took issue with the comment anti-american because it is both over and miss-used. Any time anyone has any kind of negative comment regarding the United States or American policy, it is deemed anti-American. When sometimes it just happens to be bad policy.

I then complained about a blatant attack by Thomaska against anyone holding a differing vew from his. An attack like that does nothing more than encourage more comments like that of Kerry's.

The students didn't need to be fed crap like Kerry delivered.
I think the students can make their own minds up about that, don't you?

He is a U.S. Senator and he acts like some kind of thug.
Melodrama much? I must have missed it when he started dealing drugs and killing people for a living.

So........ I ask you Gag - why did you start your sarcasm in the first place - you weren' talking issues you were telling us "you didn't get" and went on to prove it. Anti-American has become well trademarked on Canadian forums. You guys are pretty creative but seem to stray from fact so often. We all feel like gatekeepers watching it happen.
What? What guys? You are suggesting that I am anti-american because I take issue with overuse of the word, and a slander on people who hold leftwing values? Wow, thanks for providing me an excellent example of what I was talking about.