Is NATO on Life Support???

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I think the only countries who meet the NATO defence spending targets are the United States, Great Britain and little Greece and Estonia.
Canada lags behind Greece and Estonia.
Yes but these Nimrods believe that the USA hands cash to NATO.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yes but these Nimrods believe that the USA hands cash to NATO.

The USA comprises 69% of NATO spending, with Britain in second place, meeting the spending requirements of NATO members.

You may not like to know it, but countries like Canada aren't pulling their weight and need to start spending more instead of letting three or four other countries take the burden.

Why should America and Britain come to Canada's aid as a fellow NATO member when you aren't even contributing properly?

You reap what you sow.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The USA comprises 69% of NATO spending, with Britain in second place, meeting the spending requirements of NATO members.
You may not like to know it, but countries like Canada aren't pulling their weight and need to start spending more instead of letting three or four other countries take the burden.
Why should America and Britain come to Canada's aid as a fellow NATO member when you aren't even contributing properly?
You reap what you sow.
We are joined at the hip with the USA through NORAD, etc. ... NATO or no NATO.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We are joined at the hip with the USA through NORAD, etc. ... NATO or no NATO.

So what?

There are other countries in NATO beside the USA other than Canada.

What if Italy is attacked, meaning NATO members have to militarily support her? Or any other NATO member is attacked?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So what?
There are other countries in NATO beside the USA other than Canada.
What if Italy is attacked, meaning NATO members have to militarily support her? Or any other NATO member is attacked?
We share the longest border on Earth as well as sea coasts, air space and the flipping air that we breathe with the Americans. An attack on us is an attack on them unless it is them who attack us.

Airstrip One, on the other hand .... We've already come to your aid in a big way, twice.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We share the longest border on Earth as well as sea coasts, sir space and the flipping sit that we breathe with the Americans. An attack on us is an attack on them unless it is them who attack us.
Airstrip One, on the other hand .... We've already come to your aid in a big way, twice.

I've already pointed out that NATO doesn't consist of just the USA and Canada.

What if Italy is attacked? Or Greece? Or Britain? Or Norway? Or Turkey?

Canada would be able to do f*ck all. You can barely project your military beyond your local vicinity.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The UK could become 'the new enemy' once they break away, Yes?? Oh, wait, this is the EU, why wait . . . . .

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
France is in NATO again but, unlike Britain and America, she won't commit her nuclear-armed submarines to the alliance.
In other words, our neighbour is, as she eternally is, useless.
Cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
We share the longest border on Earth as well as sea coasts, air space and the flipping air that we breathe with the Americans. An attack on us is an attack on them unless it is them who attack us.
No, the people from the Canada YOU hate did. Not YOU.
;)
You just sponge off the benefits, while trying to take everyone's' guns away like hitler did to the Jews...AND you want the west to GIVE you FREE oil for your ovens too, which you want brought to you on A TRAIN.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
France's Macron: I'm not sorry I called NATO 'brain dead'
Reuters
Published:
November 28, 2019
Updated:
November 28, 2019 12:58 PM EST
French President Emmanuel Macron takes part in a news conference with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg after their meeting at the Elysee palace in Paris, France Nov. 28, 2019. Bertrand Guay/Pool via REUTERS
PARIS — French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday said his remarks that NATO was experiencing “brain death” had been a useful wake-up call to alliance members, and he would not apologize for saying it.
Macron’s blunt verdict ahead of a Dec. 4 summit in Britain drew strong reaction from European peers who believe Europe still needs to rely heavily on the transatlantic military alliance for its defense.
But the French leader, speaking alongside NATO’s Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, made no apology for the remarks, which he said were needed after allies became too focused on budget issues instead of evolving geopolitics.
“The questions I have asked are open questions, that we haven’t solved yet,” Macron said at a joint news conference with NATO’s secretary general.
“Peace in Europe, the post-INF (Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty) situation, the relationship with Russia, the Turkey issue, who’s the enemy? So I say: as long as these questions are not resolved, let’s not negotiate about cost-sharing and burden-sharing, or this or the other.”
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
“So we maybe needed a wake-up call. I’m glad it was delivered, and I’m glad everyone now thinks we should rather think about our strategic goals,” Macron said. “So I make absolutely no apology for having cleared up ambiguities.”
NEW ENEMY
Stoltenberg responded that in uncertain times, strong multilateral institutions such as NATO were essential.
“It’s no secret that there certainly are differences between allies,” he said. “But the strength of NATO is that we have had the same kind of differences before, and every time we have been able to overcome them.”
Macron, whose overtures to Russia in past months have worried allies in eastern Europe, said the key question now for NATO should be to decide who was its shared foe, given that the Soviet Union had long fallen.
“Who is our common enemy?” Macron asked. “This question deserves to be clarified.”
“Is our enemy today, as I hear sometimes, Russia? Is it China? Is it the Atlantic alliance’s purpose to designate them as enemies? I don’t think so,” Macron said.
“Our common enemy at the alliance is, it seems, terrorism, which has hit all of our countries.”
In veiled remarks to European countries who have been criticized for not spending enough on security, Macron added: “Simply proclaiming one’s commitment to collective security is not enough. It needs to be demonstrated. A true alliance means actions, decisions, not words.”
http://torontosun.com/news/world/frances-macron-im-not-sorry-i-called-nato-brain-dead