Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Two of the world's largest auto manufacturers — Ford and General Motors (GM) — made headlines this week by announcing a significant widening of their electric offerings in the near future, seen by many as emblematic as a broader industry move away from the gasoline engine.

But is B.C. ready for that change?

While electric vehicles are becoming increasingly popular in urban centres like Vancouver and Victoria, much of rural B.C. still has concerns.

Michelle Mungall, provincial energy minister and MLA for Nelson-Creston, says electric vehicles will be an important part of reducing B.C.'s carbon emissions. But she says her constituents have concerns about the adoption of new technology when their cars are such essential lifelines.

"I have one of the highest mountain passes that I have to cross over right in the middle of my riding," Mungall said, referring to Kootenay Pass between Salmo and Creston.

"My number one concern is, will an electric vehicle get me through a blizzard on that highest pass in Canada?"

Winter conditions can hamper the performance of electric cars because low temperatures affect battery capacity.

Dispelling myths

Andrew Weaver, leader of the B.C. Green party and owner of an electric vehicle himself, says these concerns represent the biggest hurdles facing the wider adoption of electric vehicles.

While [Weaver admits] it is true that an electric vehicle's range suffers in the winter, he said electric vehicles already have ranges comparable to gasoline-powered cars.

"A lot of what's out there is folklore that's not true and barriers that are artificial," Weaver said.

He also disputed the notion that electric vehicles take a long time to charge, saying he can charge his vehicle from 20 to 80 per cent in 15 minutes with a specialized DC fast charger.

Infrastructure lacking

But that belies another significant problem, which is the lack of infrastructure. It can be hard enough to find standard charging stations outside of major urban centres, let alone fast chargers.

Weaver said one of the main reasons charging infrastructure isn't more widespread is because of unnecessary regulatory barriers. He noted, for example, that a company must be registered as a utility before it can charge a customer for use of charging station.

While B.C. already has a number of incentives in place — including a $40 million commitment to increasing electric vehicle adoption in the NDP government's recent budget update — Weaver said it's still not enough.

"We are lagging behind many other jurisdictions [in this]," he said.

Major market shift

While the difference in transportation needs between urban and rural dwellers is significant, moves like those from GM and Ford may help with rural adoption of electric vehicle technology.

Matthew Klippenstein, a professional engineer and co-host of the podcast Cleantech Talk, says such a dramatic lineup overhaul from major manufacturers is a signal to consumers that electric vehicles are ready for prime time.

"I'm sure that we'll see dozens if not hundreds of new options in the coming, say, five years — not just from GM but every other auto maker, making sure that, if a customer wants something, they have a product to meet that desire," Klippenstein said.

There are about as many Ford F-150s — a top-selling truck — sold in a month as there are electric vehicles sold in a year in Canada, he noted, so the electric conversion of that one product line alone is a significant market shakeup.

Tomorrow comes today

But the auto industry moves at a glacial place when it comes to adopting new technology, Klippenstein said — largely due to the massive investment required in development.

For Weaver, the detrimental environmental effect of B.C.'s continued reliance on the internal combustion engine means it's too important to wait. He wants the province to reduce barriers and adopt a zero-emissions vehicle policy similar to Quebec's.

"We cannot afford to be not aggressive," Weaver said.

Is B.C. ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution? - British Columbia - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The heaters will draw more kwh than the drive motors cutting their 160km range in half.

People in FSJ won't have issues, everybody has an outdoor plug for block heaters.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I hear that Dysan is going to manufacture an electric car in a few years.

Those 'll really suck.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
There is almost no place to plug in a car in Toronto unless you own your own home. Most apartments and condos don't have plugs and some condos have rules against charging a car. If you are driving someplace, forget it. Do you think you can just call CAA when you run out of power?

And people are not going to shell out more for an electric car.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Believe it or not I have great faith in the free enterprise system; at least so far a fulling a demand is concerned. Once there are enough electric vehicles I suspect that the network of gas stations will install charging systems. There are thousands of service stations across Canada and I suspect that most of them would be happy to make a little extra money by installing charging systems.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No and hopefully never will be. Oil production is our forte and water is becoming a precious commodity. How much longer can we be producing more and more electricity? :)

Believe it or not I have great faith in the free enterprise system; at least so far a fulling a demand is concerned. Once there are enough electric vehicles I suspect that the network of gas stations will install charging systems. There are thousands of service stations across Canada and I suspect that most of them would be happy to make a little extra money by installing charging systems.

What fuel do you feel will be used in the charging systems? :) :)

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Dyson did great with his carbon exhaust cleaning technology..
;)
Oh wait, no one bought it because it would have killed global warming, and the death of industry, as maurice strong always said was the goal, could not happen.

Note the legal situation were the lie barral Volkswagen is today.

lol
"free enterprise"
Hah hah...
After the taxes and subsidies, where the frick do you see free enterprise in carbon related anything? When Obombya said he was going to kill the coal industry with taxes and loans to a$$bags like Solindra, or when the government and companies like Volkswagen turned down Dyson's exhaust cleaners because disposing of the resultant particulates was an expense?

LOL "free enterprise" costs the poor old tax payer HUGE.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Hydrogen electric.. the car will charge itself on a hydrogen fill up.

Quick and efficient as gasoline.. same grange as gas..

So, where does the electricity come from that is needed to split the hydrogen and oxygen apart from water? Burning coal? Nuclear? Windmills?

Also, hydrogen is almost impossible to contain. The H2 molecule is so small that it leeches out of any containing material. It literally floats through the interstices between the molecules that make up any tank wall. As your car just sits, your fuel evaporates away.

p.s. Imagine a hydrogen tank going up in a collision.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
If you sell hydrogen that's exactly what you want!
;)
We ought to force liebarrals to learn some damn science BEFORE they ever get to run ANYTHING.
It ought to be a law.

geez there are some places where a canoe and a dog sled will eat an electric car

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I see green party leader Andrew Weaver proudly proclaiming that he has an electric vehicle . His daily commute from his riding to the legislature is about 10 klicks . Yet this same leader is behind the cancellation of Site C . So where does all the extra electricity come from ?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
just sayin

Site C Expert Report: In first year, Site C will lose $376 million exporting power to the USA
Site C Expert Report: In first year, Site C will lose $376 million exporting power to the USA - Take Action Stop Site C Dam in British Columbia
The BCUC and the BC Cabinet must ignore the $2.1 Billion Sunk Cost when Considering Site C's Future
The BCUC and the BC Cabinet must ignore the $2.1 Billion Sunk Cost when Considering Site C's Future - Take Action Stop Site C Dam in British Columbia

Well, there may be real reasons why cite C might not be a good idea idea as its planned.
but this electricity doesn't need to go other places cheaper then it goes for here.

If Canada was to go greenish, then we do have to power it up somehow...

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
First you have to create a wealthy population that can buy you’re 100,000$ electric cars, By selling oil, like they have in Dubai,where ordinary people can afford 120,000$ cars while selling us oil.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
First you have to create a wealthy population that can buy you’re 100,000$ electric cars, By selling oil, like they have in Dubai,where ordinary people can afford 120,000$ cars while selling us oil.

Create a wealthy population?

Easier to drive them further under the gubmint heel by eliminating any alternative and (generously) offering to lease these EVs for the equivalent of a small mortgage

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Only when the government leaves them alone. I don't have that much faith in any government and none at all in our current dippers.
DO you want to sit in a gas station for 2 hrs. Waiting for your car to charge?
Recently I ran into a guy has an electric smart car. No range at all. To go from Campbell River to Nanaimo he has to stop in QUalicum Beach to charge to guarantee that he will make it one way. O f a person lived in say Pt. Hardy he could never drive out of town because it is too far to the next place to recharge.

Hydrogen electric.. the car will charge itself on a hydrogen fill up.

Quick and efficient as gasoline.. same grange as gas..

Didn't work out so well for the busses.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Though I must say, electric bikes rock around town, and on the local trails.
:)
We buy Escooters when they are toast for the homeless cripples that use the foodbank, or shelter when we can.
Ontario disability won't pay for a new one, but they will pay for repairs and batteries.
;)

Only those needies with wealthy help should not have to walk I guess.
We hope to change that.