I Gotta Save Up Just to be Broke

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
In the early 90's I had a solid-paying warehouse job...two cars...renting a nice home...vacations to the States...lots of disposable income.

Most of us had a piece of the pie back then. Throughout my checkered working history, I've experienced the have years and the have-not years. It really has become a race to the bottom, the way things are going these days.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
I'm so broke that Detroit is holding a relief concert for me.

I'm so broke I don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

I came home from work only to see my front door unhinged.
All cabinets open, drawers turned upside-down.
Finally in the kitchen I found a 50 dollar bill with a note.
It just said:
sorry
signed, the burglar

I'm so po, I can't afford a second 'o' or the 'r'

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I'm so broke, the only income I declared on my Tax Return was a 15% off Shake n 'Bake Coupon I got in the mail.

Reactions: petros

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Back when I was a kid I had a paper route, some of which was in a wealthy neighbourhood. One customer in that area would "tip" a whole nickel every week. After a few weeks of being insulted by a nickel I finally said to the guy, "Gee thanks mister, now I can almost afford that bag of chips I've been saving up for" and walked away.

Reactions: Hoof Hearted

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Am I the only one?

30 bucks barely moves the needle on the car's fuel gauge. Four lousy bags of groceries costs upwards of 120 bucks...the family's cell phone bills...heating...water...credit card debt...etc.

Tough sleddin these days.
You mean your budget doesn't balance itself? Don't worry, the way to grow to the economy is from the heart outward, you just have to have more heart.

Seriously though...it's tough...and it's only going to get tougher. I suspect we will be seeing an interest rate hike of about 50 points next quarter, it's the only thing they have left in their toolbox to deal with the unmitigated debt and currency devaluation our government has incurred. We are unfortunately about to get exactly what we asked for in this country. Elect a clown to run the show, don't be surprised when you end up with a circus.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Seems at this point given a few years from now were all going to know someone who is homeless.
If you take 'em in, they won't be.

I'm actually kinda serious. The single home for a nuclear family is a fairly recent thing, historically. It wasn't actually ordained by Gawd.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
If you take 'em in, they won't be.

I'm actually kinda serious. The single home for a nuclear family is a fairly recent thing, historically. It wasn't actually ordained by Gawd.

I already help someone whose disabled who barely gets 1100 a month to live on, this causes me mental fatigue. Also I help my brothers with their kids, this gives me joy. Gotta keep those opportunities open...

I live in a bubble : / so it works lol

But it's like trudeau or Freeland have said. It's all about wealth distribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoof Hearted

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I already help someone whose disabled who barely gets 1100 a month to live on, this causes me mental fatigue. Also I help my brothers with their kids, this gives me joy. Gotta keep those opportunities open...

I live in a bubble : / so it works lol

But it's like trudeau or Freeland have said. It's all about wealth distribution.
Yeah, I own a single-family home. My brother and his wife live in it.

Reactions: Johnnny

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
We are fortunate in that we don't have any debt. As we grew closer to retirement, we made a HUGE effort to pay off our home and to incur as little debt as possible because then we'd only have our pensions. Thankfully we succeeded but I see our savings slowly going down because the cost of living continues to go up. Once our savings are gone, hopefully we'll be in an "urn" not contributing to GHG's anymore LOL.

I don't know what the younger generation is going to do so I worry about them. I suppose once the UN Agenda 2030 comes in, they won't have any worries cuz they won't own anything and gov't will take care of them - until it doesn't.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
I am basically debt free too. But by the time you pay your utilities, insurances, internet/satellite, food, gas etc things are pretty slim.

Reactions: Dixie Cup