I don't like the Canadian national anthem

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I vaguely remember the school yard versions as well but I recall it being a place to stand and a place to sh!t..... Must be the western version?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
When we lived in Alberta my mother used to sing 'hey ma, I want to go back to Ontario' - ya know that army song 'they say that in the army' but she used to change the words aroudn. :D

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Oh, I remember that. And I remember singing my version

A Place to Stand
A Place to Sit
Ontario, you're full of ...

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I don't don't like it either. I think it is brassy and pretentious. It's almost impossible to intepret in different ways, like you can do with the American anthem. You basically have to blast it out, full horn.. and that's it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
French version is the same as written. English has been altered a few times to make it more politically correct. Sound familiar? I liked the brassy and blunt Maple Leaf Forever....

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
For the most part our anthem has stood the test of time and many people who did a lot of
brave things that I could never do, took a lot of pride in singing our national song.
It represents for the most part the essence of Canada. I don't like it when they tinker with
it either putting in the lyrics about God Keep Our Land and that sort of stuff. Its not that I
can't live with change, its just that change was not really warranted here, and it was done
for cosmetic reasons. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Frankly i think with some lyrical adjustments, The Maple Leaf Forever, is a more flexible tune.. and older than O Canada.

Frankly any change now though would see the Politically Correct fanatics emerge with their demands of an utterly insipid, neutered, and 'faith free' version of anything.. like their demands that O Canada remove "in thy son's command".. and "God save our land" :rolleyes:

eskavan

Apr 12, 2011
Frankly i think with some lyrical adjustments, The Maple Leaf Forever, is a more flexible tune.. and older than O Canada.

Agreed. Why not just take the third verse of the Maple Leaf Forever and tweak it a little? It's the most beautiful and the least outdated as well. O Canada is officially just one verse anyway. But really any lyrics are better than O Canada in my view, because at least the tune from the Maple Leaf Forever is very goo das well as being more versatile...it's very heartfelt when played slow and equal triumphant and bombastic when played as a march. O Canada really only works loud and bombastic.

Frankly any change now though would see the Politically Correct fanatics emerge with their demands of an utterly insipid, neutered, and 'faith free' version of anything.. like their demands that O Canada remove "in thy son's command".. and "God save our land" :rolleyes:

Which is exactly why I'm not suggesting a change, though as I said I honestly feel it would be an improvement.

As for the proposed changes to "O Canada", I really wouldn't care either way since I'm meh about the whole anthem to begin with. I'm not religious and I'm not offended by "God keep our land". It's a figure of speech to me, like God Save the Queen to many atheist monarchists. Makes no difference to me (though even as a kid I though "in all thy sons command" was rather awkward grammatically. On the other hand, "our home and cherished land", a proposed change to the anthem, just sounds weak).

Funny that before people started tampering with the lyrics in the first place the English version of O Canada was gender neutral and contained no references to God:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love thou dost in us command.
We see thee rising fair, dear land,
The True North, strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
O Canada! O Canada!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

Repetitive, sure (which is, I gather, why they changed it). But not "politically incorrect" in the slightest. Ironic, isn't it?

Mathiew

Apr 23, 2011
Montreal
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it or anything. And there are worse anthems out there. But personally (and this is just my personal, subjective, artistic taste...your mileage may vary) I think it is kind of bland and generic. As a piece of music it doesn't do too much for me, and the lyrics are perfectly "meh" (though I think the French lyrics are a bit better). I am filled with patriotic pride when it is sung at a sports match, but that is because it is the anthem of my country, not because I like it as a piece of music. I love the tune of "The Maple Leaf Forever", but it is outdated and doesn't represent Canada today...it has more do do with Britain than anything else. So I don't know what else to suggest as an anthem.

Any thoughts? Do you like the anthem as a piece of music, or just because it represents Canada?

PS. I'm not seriously suggesting a change or anything...just want peoples' opinion, whether you agree or disagree. :)
Like the song, especially when we compare it to the other one. I just see the U.S one as good as our.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Time to move to a place with an anthem that rouses your spirit - Though they may not have the same laws, protections, economy, living standards, freedom that we have. Though you could balance that off by playing your new National Anthem.

Humor aside as the above is meant to be, and not insulting.
Most National Anthems are old as they were written some time ago, so what. Tradition. Do you recall the debate over changing the Flag?