Human apathy in a big city…

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The big city shows it’s apathetic ugliness, a man put his life on the line to save another fellow human being, and two thugs kill him while people walked by with out any human empathy. Many humans are confused when it comes to understanding the reason their soul exists in this life time. This Samaritan was not confused, he believed in humanity in spit of the fact that he was destitute.8O

Samaritan who saved New Yorker left to die on the street - The Globe and Mail

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
My wife and I saw this story this morning. Its sad and disheartening that two calls went in that might have been for this man, yet the addresses were wrong... and at least 8 people walked by, doing nothing...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
A senior was mugged by 2 guys in the Toronto subway yesterday and nobody came to his aid either.

Sorry, wolf, I missed your post above...

Last edited:

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I don't know how to feel about this because I know that indifference can be self-defense. I wouldn't be surpised if the people who passed the guy on the street did so because they feared he might do something to them if they tried.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I kind of feel that if people walk by, don't do something, they have no right to complain about crime.

I also wonder if they really simply didn't notice too wrapped up in their own selfish world?

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
The big city shows it’s apathetic ugliness, a man put his life on the line to save another fellow human being, and two thugs kill him while people walked by with out any human empathy. Many humans are confused when it comes to understanding the reason their soul exists in this life time. This Samaritan was not confused, he believed in humanity in spit of the fact that he was destitute.8O

Samaritan who saved New Yorker left to die on the street - The Globe and Mail
Please this happens in small towns as well. In a small town everyone knows everyone else's business - they all know who beats his wife, or what children are neglected but they do nothing - they 'walk on by'. Is that really any different than this?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Please this happens in small towns as well. In a small town everyone knows everyone else's business - they all know who beats his wife, or what children are neglected but they do nothing - they 'walk on by'. Is that really any different than this?

Yep, everyone thinks someone else will take care of it. A cell phone call to 911 could make a huge difference without having to even get directly involved.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
A couple of months ago while my wife was back in Australia after her father passed away from cancer, a family member of hers was killed trying to help someone.

He lived in a crappy neighborhood and was continually either calling the cops over noise complaints and such, or going over to this house politely asking for them to keep their partying down, etc. He's been over all sorts of times, was getting fed up with the neighborhood and was a week or two from moving to a better place, when one night he heard a girl scream. He decided to go out and see what was going on and if anybody needed his help, and in turn, he was ganged up on by a dozen or so punks, they beat the crap out of him, dragged him onto his neighbor's lawn, slit his throat and left him to die.

The worst part of it is that he was in a motorcycle accident a while back and due to his injuries, he wasn't able to properly defend himself, let alone while being out numbered. His neighbor came out to try and aid him when she saw what happened, but he died before the police and ambulance got to him.

All because he thought someone needed help.

Hindsight being 20/20, perhaps he shouldn't have gotten involved, but that's hindsight for you. We still don't know if they got the people responsible for his murder, let alone if they were found guilty, but indeed... this sort of crap happens all over the world, every single day.

So what do you do? Play it safe, avoid contact with others, never help those in need to try and save your own skin, or do you continue to stand up for your principles and what you think is right regardless of the possible risks to you?

There are those who are too afraid to get involved in a situation because of stories such as these..... but if one just gives up and doesn't get involved when someone needs your help, not only will more of these situations occur, but chances are, more will take the same position as you and when something does happen to you and you need help.... it won't be there for you.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
A few years ago SEINFELD was one of the most succssful sit-coms on the air. When it finally wound down its last episode was about the main characters ignoring a citizen in distress.

They all went to jail.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
One part in the report:

“Is anybody human any more?” asked Raechelle Groce, visiting her grandmother at a nearby building on Monday. “What’s wrong with humanity?”

Is anybody human anymore?

You're human, you tell me.