Huge New York Steaks

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Soon perishables will be irradiated to increase longevity and "food safety". I'm not sure if I'm keen on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Don't take me wrong but - buying perishables at SS is risky. Their meat is never triple A. They have been fined twice in the recent past for changing the date on their perishables. I never buy any meat there. I only go to that store for some items like shampoo, bath soap and some of the stuff they have on the back right side of the store (kitchen and bath type items). Sometimes they have butter on for a good price. I wouldn't buy any perishable that a new label can be added to. Sometimes SOM puts some good meat buys on but the best meat is at Costco. Even Thrifty's has good meat but it's not always at a reasonable price.:smile:

Not all Superstores are the same, the one in Vernon is good and I buy lots of meat there- mind you are far as quality is concerned Safeway is probably best (if you can afford $4.50 a lb. for lean hamburger)

You are right, the "best before" label means exactly that. It doesn't mean it is rotten or anything. There is only my wife and I at home for the most part right now so we have to pick the four liter jug of milk at it's very best so it will last in the fridge without going off before it's finished.

And probably means the date to be sold by, given the scenario that it will be at least another day or so before it is actually eaten.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When it turns green. Don't eat it. Until then, enjoy!

P.S. Don't sniff the top of the milk jug. The crusties on the cap and rim always smell bad. Pour a glass then sniff.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not all Superstores are the same, the one in Vernon is good and I buy lots of meat there- mind you are far as quality is concerned Safeway is probably best (if you can afford $4.50 a lb. for lean hamburger)

yeah, safeway is higher priced on many items, not all, and I follow their flyer closely, some good buys.
and the store is always full of shoppers.
when the ground meat is on special, I buy it, and freeze it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I was thinking about the big church not far from us in town who serve free lunches every day, and I
wonder where they get all of the food they cook, as those 'not yet quite expired' dates are actually
still good to eat, but probably will not sell, so they should go somewhere and quickly be cooked and
eaten, so a large lunch each day at the church would be lots of food cooked at one time and would suit
those particular items.

just wonderin

That would be great, but it takes volunteers daily to do the heavy lifting. There's quite a few of those.

Jobs would be better.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
yeah, safeway is higher priced on many items, not all, and I follow their flyer closely, some good buys.

Back when we lived on the mainland (Port Coquitlam)we had a Save-On and a Safeway. The two were very competitive.
In Nanaimo there is a Save-On just a few blocks away and a SuperStore a litle farther. The Safeway in Nanaimo is a tiny
little store out near Cedar and the aisles are barely wide enough for two grocery buggys to pass each other.
Btw Talloola, Is it snowing up your way? We are almost whited out with snow right now.......Don't know how long it will last...:roll:

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I give Safeway a 9/10, their products are good, their service is excellent, the store is clean and well arranged. You just have to avoid buying some items if you are thifty conscious. Where possible get Safeway brands or their Red Label brands and the bread is well priced. Meat........................be careful, just what's on sale, the delicatessan..............a ripoff as in all stores.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Run a colder fridge and things last long.
Run a colder fridge and things freeze and then you can end up throwing stuff out much faster. Have to watch those veggies and fruits because ice means slimy and out they go.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I wouldn't go near Costco for the same reason I don't shop at Home Depot. They are American conglomerates that have
forced Canadian companies out of business. I know Save - On is Canadian and so is the Superstore. I will shop Canadian
until I see a good reason not to.
Costco sells Alberta beef. I think most of us buy meat and freeze it. Naturally, by the time we consume it, it's usually past the BBD. All I am telling you is that SS has been charged twice recently with changing the BBD's meaning you could be buying meat that has already passed it's best before date before you buy it. So, you can end up taking it home, freezing it and then when you thaw it to cook, it tastes bad and how often do most of us keep our receipts to take the meat back and what if something like 2 months has passed? It's kind of difficult to expect a return at that point. I am not critizing your choice of a place to shop. Just warning you that this could happen.

How are you loving these sunny skies with some rain (not) that we have today? 8O What a slushy mess out there.

Veggies keep better out in the garage. Honest.
Do you have rats? They like garages too. I have never seen a real rat in my life but I keep hearing that they are around. I'm sure they would love to snuggle up in a nice warm garage. When my oldest was married, the part of town they lived in had rats. They had a little storage shed attached to their house - served the same purpose a garage would. Rats were always getting in there.

Even food that has passed its 'best before' date is still good to eat. I think people have stopped using common sense, and are relying on what I call the 'lawyer labels' to run their lives.

I avoid milk that is past the date, as it usually goes bad, but for the most part, meat is perfectly fine for a few days - after all, you're going to cook it, aren't you? Now, of course there is a practical limit, but some people don't have any sense whatsoever.
There are lots of foods that you can kind of ignore the BBD. Salad dressings have vinegar. I don't get bent out of shape if the date is up. Yogurt is another item that seems to last almost forever. Like you - I watch the purchase of milk just because, once it's open and it passes that date (or sometimes even before the date) it goes bad. Canned goods often come with a disguised date - one the company can read but we can't. People are paranoid about buying bent cans. One little ding in a can and they are sending someone back for a new one. Silly. Bent cans don't hurt people. "Bulging" cans hurt people. If a can is bulging - throw it out. I have watched people toss a can of veggies into their buggy and then it becomes dented and then they want a new one!!!
If common sense were to prevail - people would put back the carton of smokes, the bags of potato chips and cases of pop and buy food.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Nope, no rats in the city. The province and city spend big bucks on rodent control.
Vernon had "rat" control but I've never heard of any here. I know that they prefer people don't put out food for birds because it attracts rats! Gross eh!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I shop Save-on almost exclusively for meat, because the one near my house is awesome. That's not true of the one slightly further away. The Superstore on the East side is disgusting and I'd never buy meat from there. I have no such qualms about the Superstore further west down the same street. The Save-On one friend used to work for was notorious for reshelving thawed frozen goods.

No matter what chain you're discussing, it still boils down to individual managers and individual staff. There's no guarantee in a label.

Where i work if any produce touches the floor it is then off to the garbage - All meats etc are on temp controlled docks -

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Where i work if any produce touches the floor it is then off to the garbage - All meats etc are on temp controlled docks -

That is a big waste. Most vegetables require peeling anyway, the floor can't be worse than the dirt (including manure) where they are grown! :smile:

Costco sells Alberta beef. I think most of us buy meat and freeze it. Naturally, by the time we consume it, it's usually past the BBD. All I am telling you is that SS has been charged twice recently with changing the BBD's meaning you could be buying meat that has already passed it's best before date before you buy it. So, you can end up taking it home, freezing it and then when you thaw it to cook, it tastes bad and how often do most of us keep our receipts to take the meat back and what if something like 2 months has passed? It's kind of difficult to expect a return at that point. I am not critizing your choice of a place to shop. Just warning you that this could happen.

How are you loving these sunny skies with some rain (not) that we have today? 8O What a slushy mess out there.

Do you have rats? They like garages too. I have never seen a real rat in my life but I keep hearing that they are around. I'm sure they would love to snuggle up in a nice warm garage. When my oldest was married, the part of town they lived in had rats. They had a little storage shed attached to their house - served the same purpose a garage would. Rats were always getting in there.

There are lots of foods that you can kind of ignore the BBD. Salad dressings have vinegar. I don't get bent out of shape if the date is up. Yogurt is another item that seems to last almost forever. Like you - I watch the purchase of milk just because, once it's open and it passes that date (or sometimes even before the date) it goes bad. Canned goods often come with a disguised date - one the company can read but we can't. People are paranoid about buying bent cans. One little ding in a can and they are sending someone back for a new one. Silly. Bent cans don't hurt people. "Bulging" cans hurt people. If a can is bulging - throw it out. I have watched people toss a can of veggies into their buggy and then it becomes dented and then they want a new one!!!
If common sense were to prevail - people would put back the carton of smokes, the bags of potato chips and cases of pop and buy food.

Uuuuuuuuuuum, bent cans can hurt people, although extremely rarely. If the seal along which the can is soldered is broken the food will go rotten real fast. I opened a can of Pacific Milk a couple of years ago that was absolutely black. Generally speaking I wouldn't be too concerned about meat sold at the Super Store as such large volumes move through there, that there wouldn't be much opportunity to exceed the best by date.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That is a big waste. Most vegetables require peeling anyway, the floor can't be worse than the dirt (including manure) where they are grown! :smile:

The veggies are donated to the local zoo. There are reasons for this - HAACP - of which I bet SStore is not a member of requires this for hygiene. HAACP has strict rules to go by. Hygiene, temp controls, rodent controls - they look under the racking looking for debris, dirt etc.

Where I work they clean it all on a regular basis. not just when needed as spills - breakage occurs but all areas.

Welcome - Retail Food Certification

HACCP -

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Back when we lived on the mainland (Port Coquitlam)we had a Save-On and a Safeway. The two were very competitive.
In Nanaimo there is a Save-On just a few blocks away and a SuperStore a litle farther. The Safeway in Nanaimo is a tiny
little store out near Cedar and the aisles are barely wide enough for to grocery buggys to pass each other.
Btw Talloola, Is it snowing up your way? We are almost whited out with snow right now.......Don't know how long it will last...:roll:

we had a dusting very early this morning, nothing after that, the day has been fairly clear and pleasant.