How the GW myth is perpetuated

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Global Warming Hoaxers to Traumatized Kids: Cure Climate Anxiety with Activism

May 06, 2014

RUSH: In the meantime, I have a huge, huge See, I Told You So opportunity here combined with the latest pivot and announcement from the White House yesterday. They've dropped everything now. They've dropped Benghazi, they've dropped everything, and they're moving forward (once again) on climate change/global warming.

There is a desire on the part the Democrat Party and the left for the president to once again assume dictatorial-like powers to do what must be done in the area of climate change and global warming to accomplish whatever it is they want to accomplish. It's not "saving the planet." That is not what global warming is about. They want you to think it is, but it is not.

But the See, I Told You So is a story here from Canada, the Globe & Mail. It's a column. It's "part of a series..." Get this. It "is part of a series examining the health repercussions for Canadians of a changing climate." This is by Gayle MacDonald, and the headline of this piece: "Youth Anxiety on the Rise Amid Changing Climate."

This is entirely relevant in view of Obama's new ratcheting up of the hysteria starting yesterday with John Podesta, which I will also explain why he's there. I predicted this. Another See, I Told You So coming up. But, in a nutshell, what the story says is the climate hoaxers and their fearmongering is driving people, especially children, crazy.

The advice from these experts on how to keep them from being driven crazy by climate change is to "get involved," climate change activism.

That's what this piece is.

more

Global Warming Hoaxers to Traumatized Kids: Cure Climate Anxiety with Activism - The Rush Limbaugh Show

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Don't worry kids. The way things are unravelling in Ukraine now, we'll soon a much more immediate nuclear armageddon to worry about again.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Don't worry kids. The way things are unravelling in Ukraine now, we'll soon a much more immediate nuclear armageddon to worry about again.
Hmmmn I spent my childhood school years practising a nuclear disaster by squatting under my desk . Funny it never happened .

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Global Climate Model clique feedback loop

Elevated from a WUWT comment by Dr. Robert G. Brown, Duke University
Frank K. says: You are spot on with your assessment of ECIMs/GCMs. Unfortunately, those who believe in their ability to predict future climate really don’t want to talk about the differential equations, numerical methods or initial/boundary conditions which comprise these codes. That’s where the real problems are…
Well, let’s be careful how you state this. Those who believe in their ability to predict future climate who aren’t in the business don’t want to talk about all of this, and those who aren’t expert in predictive modeling and statistics in general in the business would prefer in many cases not to have a detailed discussion of the difficulty of properly validating a predictive model — a process which basically never ends as new data comes in.

However, most of the GCMs and ECIMs are well, and reasonably publicly, documented. It’s just that unless you have a Ph.D. in (say) physics, a knowledge of general mathematics and statistics and computer science and numerical computing that would suffice to earn you at least masters degree in each of those subjects if acquired in the context of an academic program, plus substantial subspecialization knowledge in the general fields of computational fluid dynamics and climate science, you don’t know enough to intelligently comment on the code itself. You can only comment on it as a black box, or comment on one tiny fragment of the code, or physics, or initialization, or methods, or the ode solvers, or the dynamical engines, or the averaging, or the spatiotemporal resolution, or…

Look, I actually have a Ph.D in theoretical physics. I’ve completed something like six graduate level math classes (mostly as an undergraduate, but a couple as a physics grad student). I’ve taught (and written a textbook on) graduate level electrodynamics, which is basically a thinly disguised course in elliptical and hyperbolic PDEs. I’ve written a book on large scale cluster computing that people still use when setting up compute clusters, and have several gigabytes worth of code in my personal subversion tree and cannot keep count of how many languages I either know well or have written at least one program in dating back to code written on paper tape. I’ve co-founded two companies on advanced predictive modelling on the basis of code I’ve written and a process for doing indirect Bayesian inference across privacy or other data boundaries that was for a long time patent pending before trying to defend a method patent grew too expensive and cumbersome to continue; the second company is still extant and making substantial progress towards perhaps one day making me rich. I’ve did advanced importance-sampling Monte Carlo simulation as my primary research for around 15 years before quitting that as well. I’ve learned a fair bit of climate science. I basically lack a detailed knowledge and experience of only computational fluid dynamics in the list above (and understand the concepts there pretty well, but that isn’t the same thing as direct experience) and I still have a hard time working through e.g. the CAM 3.1 documentation, and an even harder time working through the open source code, partly because the code is terribly organized and poorly internally documented to the point where just getting it to build correctly requires dedication and a week or two of effort.

Oh, and did I mention that I’m also an experienced systems/network programmer and administrator? So I actually understand the underlying tools REQUIRED for it to build pretty well…

If I have a hard time getting to where I can — for example — simply build an openly published code base and run it on a personal multicore system to watch the whole thing actually run through to a conclusion, let alone start to reorganize the code, replace underlying components such as its absurd lat/long gridding on the surface of a sphere with rescalable symmetric tesselations to make the code adaptive, isolate the various contributing physics subsystems so that they can be easily modified or replaced without affecting other parts of the computation, and so on, you can bet that there aren’t but a handful of people worldwide who are going to be able to do this and willing to do this without a paycheck and substantial support. How does one get the paycheck, the support, the access to supercomputing-scale resources to enable the process? By writing grants (and having enough time to do the work, in an environment capable of providing the required support in exchange for indirect cost money at fixed rates, with the implicit support of the department you work for) and getting grant money to do so.

And who controls who, of the tiny handful of people broadly enough competent in the list above to have a good chance of being able to manage the whole project on the basis of their own directly implemented knowledge and skills AND who has the time and indirect support etc, gets funded? Who reviews the grants?

Why, the very people you would be competing with, who all have a number of vested interests in there being an emergency, because without an emergency the US government might fund two or even three distinct efforts to write a functioning climate model, but they’d never fund forty or fifty such efforts. It is in nobody’s best interests in this group to admit outsiders — all of those groups have grad students they need to place, jobs they need to have materialize for the ones that won’t continue in research, and themselves depend on not antagonizing their friends and colleagues. As AR5 directly remarks — of the 36 or so named components of CMIP5, there aren’t anything LIKE 36 independent models — the models, data, methods, code are all variants of a mere handful of “memetic” code lines, split off on precisely the basis of grad student X starting his or her own version of the code they used in school as part of newly funded program at a new school or institution.

IMO, solving the problem the GCMs are trying to solve is a grand challenge problem in computer science. It isn’t at all surprising that the solutions so far don’t work very well. It would rather be surprising if they did. We don’t even have the data needed to intelligently initialize the models we have got, and those models almost certainly have a completely inadequate spatiotemporal resolution on an insanely stupid, non-rescalable gridding of a sphere. So the programs literally cannot be made to run at a finer resolution without basically rewriting the whole thing, and any such rewrite would only make the problem at the poles worse — quadrature on a spherical surface using a rectilinear lat/long grid is long known to be enormously difficult and to give rise to artifacts and nearly uncontrollable error estimates.

But until the people doing “statistics” on the output of the GCMs come to their senses and stop treating each GCM as if it is an independent and identically distributed sample drawn from a distribution of perfectly written GCM codes plus unknown but unbiased internal errors — which is precisely what AR5 does, as is explicitly acknowledged in section 9.2 in precisely two paragraphs hidden neatly in the middle that more or less add up to “all of the `confidence’ given the estimates listed at the beginning of chapter 9 is basically human opinion bull****, not something that can be backed up by any sort of axiomatically correct statistical analysis” — the public will be safely protected from any “dangerous” knowledge of the ongoing failure of the GCMs to actually predict or hindcast anything at all particularly accurately outside of the reference interval.

The Global Climate Model clique feedback loop | Watts Up With That?

but wait, there's more

Y2Kyoto: How To Raise A Well Adjusted Temperature Record

...adjustments to the temperature record are increasing - dramatically. The present is getting warmer, the past is getting cooler, and it has nothing to do with real temperature data - only adjustments to temperature data. The climate reality our government is living in is little more than a self-serving construct.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Look, I actually have a Ph.D in theoretical physics. I’ve completed something like six graduate level math classes (mostly as an undergraduate, but a couple as a physics grad student). I’ve taught (and written a textbook on) graduate level electrodynamics, which is basically a thinly disguised course in elliptical and hyperbolic PDEs. I’ve written a book on large scale cluster computing that people still use when setting up compute clusters, and have several gigabytes worth of code in my personal subversion tree and cannot keep count of how many languages I either know well or have written at least one program in dating back to code written on paper tape. I’ve co-founded two companies on advanced predictive modelling on the basis of code I’ve written and a process for doing indirect Bayesian inference across privacy or other data boundaries that was for a long time patent pending before trying to defend a method patent grew too expensive and cumbersome to continue; the second company is still extant and making substantial progress towards perhaps one day making me rich. I’ve did advanced importance-sampling Monte Carlo simulation as my primary research for around 15 years before quitting that as well. I’ve learned a fair bit of climate science. I basically lack a detailed knowledge and experience of only computational fluid dynamics in the list above (and understand the concepts there pretty well, but that isn’t the same thing as direct experience) and I still have a hard time working through e.g. the CAM 3.1 documentation, and an even harder time working through the open source code, partly because the code is terribly organized and poorly internally documented to the point where just getting it to build correctly requires dedication and a week or two of effort.

Nobody cares. Science checked out of this debate a long time ago. If anything, a preamble stating your scientific qualifications to comment on the issue works against you. The bloviators and professional pundits have the floor now, and scientists can't last two seconds agianst those guys.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'm waiting for the shamwow guy to get his own program.

infotaintmercialnews

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys, how's it going over here in the new flat earth society.

http://desmogblog.com/2012/11/15/why-climate-deniers-have-no-credibility-science-one-pie-chart
Polls show that many members of the public believe that scientists substantially disagree about human-caused global warming. The gold standard of science is the peer-reviewed literature. If there is disagreement among scientists, based not on opinion but on hard evidence, it will be found in the peer-reviewed literature.

I searched the Web of Science for peer-reviewed scientific articles published between 1 January 1991 and 9 November 2012 that have the keyword phrases “global warming” or “global climate change.” The search produced 13,950 articles.

By my definition, 24 of the 13,950 articles, 0.17% or 1 in 581, clearly reject global warming or endorse a cause other than CO2 emissions for observed warming. The list of articles that reject global warming is here. The 24 articles have been cited a total of 113 times over the nearly 21-year period, for an average of close to 5 citations each. That compares to an average of about 19 citations for articles answering to “global warming,” for example. Four of the rejecting articles have never been cited; four have citations in the double-digits. The most-cited has 17.

0.17% of peer reviewed science papers reject Anthropogenic Global Warming, climate change denial has about as much real world support as the earth being flat.

And guess who helped create and fund the climate change denial movement.

George Monbiot on climate change and Big Tobacco | Environment | The Guardian

So the fight against a ban on passive smoking had to be associated with other people and other issues. Philip Morris, APCO said, needed to create the impression of a "grassroots" movement - one that had been formed spontaneously by concerned citizens to fight "overregulation". It should portray the danger of tobacco smoke as just one "unfounded fear" among others, such as concerns about pesticides and cellphones. APCO proposed to set up "a national coalition intended to educate the media, public officials and the public about the dangers of 'junk science'. Coalition will address credibility of government's scientific studies, risk-assessment techniques and misuse of tax dollars ... Upon formation of Coalition, key leaders will begin media outreach, eg editorial board tours, opinion articles, and brief elected officials in selected states."

By May 1993, as another memo from APCO to Philip Morris shows, the fake citizens' group had a name: the Advancement of Sound Science Coalition. It was important, further letters stated, "to ensure that TASSC has a diverse group of contributors"; to "link the tobacco issue with other more 'politically correct' products"; and to associate scientific studies that cast smoking in a bad light with "broader questions about government research and regulations" - such as "global warming", "nuclear waste disposal" and "biotechnology". APCO would engage in the "intensive recruitment of high-profile representatives from business and industry, scientists, public officials, and other individuals interested in promoting the use of sound science".

So this thread is just one more extension of an overall campaign intended to defraud the public and cause wide spread misery for profit.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't really give a rat's a$$ what the scientists think, common sense tells me that every living organism has an impact on the environment. That's not to say humans are the main cause of climate change, but they definitely have an impact to some degree.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I don't really give a rat's a$$ what the scientists think, common sense tells me that every living organism has an impact on the environment. That's not to say humans are the main cause of climate change, but they definitely have an impact to some degree.

Common sense evolved to encompass individual experience, for something this extensive we need new methods of understanding the world around us. For instance quantum mechanics indicates why CO2 is such a powerful moderator in the Earth's radiative balance, it's quantified to absorb outgoing longwave EM radiation in the 14 micron band, but not EM radiation arriving from the Sun at short wavelengths. This means the inwards loading of energy is unchanged but the outward emission is slowed. Think of it like a dam across a river, it prevents the flow of water downstream causing the water level to rise until the dam is topped. The same is happening with the increase in atmospheric CO2, it acts as a dam to the outward flow of heat making the overall temperature increase until the barrier is topped. When the difference between how much energy from the SUn is coming in and how much is able to be transmitted back to space is reduced then the warming will end, but as we add ever more CO2 to the atmosphere we push that point further and further into the future and the end temperature and resulting climate change will be more significant.

Your common sense isn't going to tell you anything about quantum mechanics as it's counter-intuitive, but verifiable by experimentation.