How Conservatives Feel About Torture

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I'm not white, I'm more of a perma tan, I don't ID as white and I'm not sure what any of that has to do with my support of intensive interrogation.

Maybe you don't understand what intensive interrogation is, as compared to torture.

But hey, don't let that stop you from coming up with all sorts of conclusions.

As I understand it, intensive interrogation is a euphemism for slightly milder forms of torture...waterboarding and such...coined by politicians so that they can say they support torture without freaking out their electorate...

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As I understand it, intensive interrogation is a eupemism for slightly milder forms of torture...waterboarding and such...coined by politicians so that they can say they suppport torture without freaking out their electorate...
Nope.

Before the term was hijacked by Bush and company. It was used by the FBI and the military (Marines especially), to describe the interrogation practices developed and used to break Japanese POW's.

It's none violent, and far more effective than torture.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If I placed Liberal and Conservative foreign-policy planks side by side, there would be no visible gap. Remember the "independent" Afghan committee headed by that Liberal...what'shisname.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As I understand it, intensive interrogation is a eupemism for slightly milder forms of torture...waterboarding and such...coined by politicians so that they can say they suppport torture without freaking out their electorate...

In the new world of terror, it is probable that time would be critical in some cases. Just think of the TO 18 and what the effects of those bombs would cause. Rush hour, thousands of pedestrians. Now add in all the shrapnel they wanted in these bombs so as to cause massive causalities.

Mean while the Police know it is going to ocurr - Then they read him - her their rights. And they lawyer up.

Next thing you hear is the explosion.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The whole question of whether or not one would use any information retrieved during torture is a moot point. There is little if any evidence that torture works.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I think it's foolish. Torture works, but the trouble with it is that the tortured person will probably tell anything they think the torturer wants to hear whether it's fact or fiction. I think it's stupid to rely on information derived this way and likely why the CIA is wrong about things so much.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Once you OK using information or sharing based on torture you are ever closer to condoning it
and engaging in it yourself. This is not good policy in the long run. I am not surprised though,
given the nature of this government. This is a government of do what we please and then just
justify it later. One step at a time.
It used to be Canada had the respect of ordinary people around the world, now we are just
another player along with the civilized nations that wink and nod with little more than hollow
words. Oh I know we have saved lives by having someone else torture people, we have of
course not done such deed we condemn ourselves but we condone it and that means we do in
fact engage in it from a distance.
We don't mind that we get our information from crazy people who torture others for the hell of it.
They were after all going to torture someone so why not use the information and pass it on to
our allies?
What does that really say about the direction of our society? Remember if you lay down with dogs
you wake up with flees. We are setting ourselves up for another round of apologies in fifty or
sixty years. This type of action is not different that taking all the Japanese property and then
resettling them during WWII. The only difference is we do it from a distance but the intent of being
up to no good is the same.

This really is a tough nut. Similar concept was was done with
information gained from the Germans at the tail end of WW2. Should
we use the info....or not...on ethical boundaries. I'm thinking of medical
knowledge gained through the abuse and murder of millions of people,
into genetic testing (the "twins" experiments) and Hypothermia testing
using many-many-many prisoners.

Priceless knowledge, but gained through torture and murder of millions.
Do we use this knowledge to save many, going forward, so that isn't a
total waste.....or not use the information becouse it was gained from the
use of torture?

We used the information....but the debate (from what I understand)
came close to tossing it all away due to how the information was
obtained by the "doctors" in the camps.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The whole question of whether or not one would use any information retrieved during torture is a moot point. There is little if any evidence that torture works.

A US Battalion in Iraq, during the initial start of the War. Taking mortar fire. Captured an insurgent. Asked for info. Refused, the Col put a gun to his head and gave him a choice. The Col received the info as to where the mortars were located.
Yesiree it does not work.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Another one of Vic Toews brilliant ideas.. anyone see a pattern here?? His ancestory is German, what is he the offspring of Hitler?

So by that "logic" all people of German descent are Nazis? Another biggoted piece of crap to stand along side Machjo...

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
So by that "logic" all people of German descent are Nazis? Another bigoted piece of crap to stand along side Machjo...

No I did not say that.. I said by the actions (brilliant ideas) of Vic Towes, he would be the bastard son of Hitler.

As far as all people of German decent being racist or Nazis.. I would hope not. I would have to label myself in that category then. My birth father is Wilhelm Vaugner (William Wagner) from Kitchener, Ont.

I say birth father, because he screwed around on his then wife and I was the product. Later given up for adoption.

My descent is German.. so by your claim, I am insulting myself.. :roll:

The only thing I inherited from my birth father, in my blood, was an insatiable appetite for many, many women..

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A US Battalion in Iraq, during the initial start of the War. Taking mortar fire. Captured an insurgent. Asked for info. Refused, the Col put a gun to his head and gave him a choice. The Col received the info as to where the mortars were located.
Yesiree it does not work.
It works. The info gained by it just isn't as accurate as a lot of people seem to think.

"But a closer look at prisoner interrogations suggests that the harsh techniques played a small role at most in identifying Bin Laden’s trusted courier and exposing his hide-out. One detainee who apparently was subjected to some tough treatment provided a crucial description of the courier, according to current and former officials briefed on the interrogations. But two prisoners who underwent some of the harshest treatment — including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who was waterboarded 183 times — repeatedly misled their interrogators about the courier’s identity." - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/us/politics/04torture.html

Interrogation Experts From Every Branch of the Military and Intelligence Agree: Torture DOESN'T Produce Useful Information → Washingtons Blog

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In the new world of terror, it is probable that time would be critical in some cases. Just think of the TO 18 and what the effects of those bombs would cause. Rush hour, thousands of pedestrians. Now add in all the shrapnel they wanted in these bombs so as to cause massive causalities.

Mean while the Police know it is going to ocurr - Then they read him - her their rights. And they lawyer up.

Next thing you hear is the explosion.
the next thing you hear is a drone tearing apart an innocent village or wedding party because some poor tortured victim told interrogators stuff they wanted to hear instead of the truth. have you ever heard the expression, "violence begets violence"? Terrorism begets terrorism. Who is terrorizing who?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Well start building your case then. I would prefer that we could definitively prove torture is absolutely pointless, but I'd rather have some documentary evidence that confirms it is unnecessary.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving