Hijab Day...good idea or bad?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I think hijabs and all head coverings should be banned from public.

Your face should never be covered in public, EVER... its to suspicious and scares people.

Muslims came to this country, abide by our culture and get rid of your hat things from our public life, or go back to where you came from if you want to keep your ``hijabs``

I find black burkas kind of skarry but hijabs can be cute. Especially if they are in red.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I don`t like those hutterite coverings. Immigrants should either conform to our values and culture or stay in their own darn country.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
well then canada should take a lesson from usofa and turn into a melting pot society.

multiculturalism is the way the muslims are trying to take over the 1st world nations.

They are invading Europe because of their ``multiculturalism`` and no they are doing the same thing with us.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don`t like those hutterite coverings. Immigrants should either conform to our values and culture or stay in their own darn country.

No, they should follow and respect our laws. They're free to keep their culture so long as it doesn't conflict with our laws.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Gilbert made the point I was going to make. Who decides what are Canadian values. Also what consequence does imposing national values have upon our individuality?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
you can be individual all you want

But out values are the judeo-christian philosophy which must be upheld.

76% of canadians believe in the Bible and 76% want the christian philosophy upheld in nation du Canada.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
No, they should follow and respect our laws. They're free to keep their culture so long as it doesn't conflict with our laws.

To me cultural is just an accepted stereotype. There can be good things about it that should be carried on but I think what is important is integration. If they keep their culture by segregating themselves then that is no way to build a United Canada.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

76% of canadians believe in the Bible and 76% want the christian philosophy upheld in nation du Canada.
My values are my values and I don’t need some book to tell me what they are and I am not alone.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
To me cultural is just an accepted stereotype. There can be good things about it that should be carried on but I think what is important is integration. If they keep their culture by segregating themselves then that is no way to build a United Canada.

The segregation is definitely an issue. I think it might be more of an issue with the first generation that moves here, just a feeling though. It's natural to associate with anything familliar in an unfamilliar place. I mean we still have segregation in the Maritimes, french and english communities. Not quite as stark but there is contrast.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
The segregation is definitely an issue. I think it might be more of an issue with the first generation that moves here, just a feeling though. It's natural to associate with anything familliar in an unfamilliar place. I mean we still have segregation in the Maritimes, french and english communities. Not quite as stark but there is contrast.

My I suggest that if groups are not integrating well then it may be a reason to increase the immigration standards for that group to limit the numbers. Macedonia took in a lot of Albanian refuges during the second world war and they tanks they get for it is that there are now a large group of people in the country that want to form a greater Albania.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I believe in the Bible.. Do I expect others to? Heck no. Do I want its philosophy upheld? Well, that would of course depend which one, since even amongst Christians, we're not clear what that is. But, even assuming it's MY philosphy you take from it, then I'd want it upheld only so far as it can be without stripping someone else of their rights, such as their own freedom to choose their religion or lack thereof.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think it's fair or reasonable to expect immigrants to integrate immediately upon arrival to our country. It's not natural at all. All in good time. Even in the early 20th century when my father's familly moved to Canada, immigrants were still moving to communities made up predominantly of the ethnic groups from which they emmigrated. As long as they follow our laws, their kids will still be exposed to the hodge-podge that is Canada as they mature.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Good Points made here...but back to the original topic ....
Why is it necessary for western women to adopt the hijab to demonstrate acceptance of middle eastern women's dictated mode of dress when that mode is representative of the oppression of women as second class citizens who must 'hide in public'.
It is medieval and in the 'do good' mentality and kindess by these western women in showing sisterhood, are they also condoning the treatment of women in these backward nations ruled by fear and religious dictates?
Lurch back to the middle ages girls - it's ok to be treated like a domestic animal?
No way
There are far more positive ways to show acceptance and understanding that copying a mode of dress.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

I wish you'd stop claiming that figure. It is incorrect. Just how many times must you be told this before it sinks into your tv soaked brain? 76% Of Canadians DO NOT believe in the Bible, not in the way you are implying anyway. You yourself do not follow, by your own admission, everything the Bible teaches.