Hijab Day...good idea or bad?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
http://www.thestar.com/article/202275

One has to wonder if professors initiating such activity are opening a can of worms or simply doing their job. But, similarly, I also wonder what would be the effect on the Jewish community if she suggested Skull Cap Day. Would said community embrace it or see it as disrespectful?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Tracy, I remember in high school we used to have Toga Days as part of our Latin studies. Kinda neat. But I wonder though if this professor isn't simply courting controversy on this particular proposal.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
She has actually been wearing a hajib herself every Friday for the past semester. She said she wanted to experience what it was like. Then she organized this day for other women on campus to give it a try, but more as a remark on current expectations about beauty. Her comment was that these expectations, the make-up, fashion, etc is itself a veil and wears more heavilly on women than the hajib does. I can't speak to that really, as I wear no make-up, and my style has been described to me as haphazard.

Anyways, the people who vandalized her office door probably knew nothing more than she organized a day celebrating Islamic tradition, which isn't so rosey when it comes to treatment of women. It's a sad day when University professors have to fear this kind of backlash, especially when the intent was so innocuous. Universities as an institution are meant for open minds. I wonder if the perpetrators were even students.

Nowadays I guess nobody should be surprised at the knee-jerk reactions associated with these actions.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It does make you wonder. Certainly Concordia and the U of T have seen similar nastiness in the past as professors seeking to broaden the horizon of their students met with unintended consequences. It was a given in the 60's and 70's that universities were to foster dialogue on issues of the day. Looks like that's becoming more and more difficult.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A group of students and the professor helping them found themselves in the middle of some drama at my school this semester. They wanted to raise support to bring a refugee to our school. We have plenty of International students but they are here on their own dime, or sponsored through our exchange programs.

The idea is that you bring a refugee here to learn modern agricultural practices, which they can take back to their home country.

The backlash was mostly things like sponsoring poor Canadians first, and some harsh racist language, but mostly sponsorship for people in Canada. It wasn't a large group of people who spoke out, but they wrote some responses in the school paper without their names of course.

My question was, if we bring a refugee here, what home do they have to go back to? Will they be able to farm at all? Are modern agricultural practices relevant to their geographic circumstances? I have no problems supporting such programs, it just seemed like it was a proposal thrown together at the last moment, wasn't very clear on the details.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
It isn't the hijab which is offensive it is the treatment of women - the oppression by those who would insist that is their only acceptable mode of garment.
The innocence of this suggested change seems mild - until one considers the total regard/disregard of women in Islamic 'society'.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Muslims caused 911... Muslims killed over 3000 Americans 6 years ago.

I refuse to being culturally correct by supporting their middle aged practices.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
OK the way I'd approach this is as follows:

like anyone else, muslems can wear what the hell they like outside of school
like anyone else, in a school, muslems should respect the dress-code of the school, and most schools agree that it's best not to wear head-covering garments of any sort, including hoodies, balaclavas and silly hats with stuffed birds on them

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I think hijabs and all head coverings should be banned from public.

Your face should never be covered in public, EVER... its to suspicious and scares people.

Muslims came to this country, abide by our culture and get rid of your hat things from our public life, or go back to where you came from if you want to keep your ``hijabs``

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
manipulating words... I don`t mean facial hair, but clothing coverings on FACE not top of head where hair is.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
exactly my point... manipulating words, you know what I meant, and you choose to discourse the discussion.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think hijabs and all head coverings should be banned from public.
Nuns too? Try and take the toque off my head, just try it...;)
Your face should never be covered in public, EVER... its to suspicious and scares people.
Hajib covers the hair, burka covers the face.
Muslims came to this country, abide by our culture and get rid of your hat things from our public life, or go back to where you came from if you want to keep your ``hijabs``

Do Jewish followers have to remove their head dress as well? I guess the Pope if he comes to Canada is to leave his head dress as well?

I say ban the hats that guy from the 70s show wears, someone mught punk me...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
exactly my point... manipulating words, you know what I meant, and you choose to discourse the discussion.
rotfflmfao
I didn't know my short little comment was a whole discourse:
Main Entry: 1dis·course
Pronunciation: 'dis-"kors, dis-'
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English discours, from Medieval Latin & Late Latin discursus; Medieval Latin, argument, from Late Latin, conversation, from Latin, act of running about, from discurrere to run about, from dis- + currere to run -- more at [SIZE=-1]CAR[/SIZE]
1 archaic : the capacity of orderly thought or procedure : [SIZE=-1]RATIONALITY[/SIZE]
2 : verbal interchange of ideas; especially : [SIZE=-1]CONVERSATION[/SIZE]
3 a : formal and orderly and usually extended expression of thought on a subject b : connected speech or writing c : a linguistic unit (as a conversation or a story) larger than a sentence
4 obsolete : social familiarity
5 : a mode of organizing knowledge, ideas, or experience that is rooted in language and its concrete contexts (as history or institutions) <critical discourse>

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
another manipulation of words.

You understood what I meant and ya chose to take the convo to a new sector.