Hamas attacks Israel

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If there was a ruckus brewing between Ottawa and Saskatoon, and the belligerents were the Canadian Forces vs the He-Man Woman Haters Club of Saskatoon, should the U.S. call on Canada or Saskatchewan to protect the Saskatooners?
Capital punishment is Saskatoon pizza. (Vern's gets amnesity)

What is a Regina-style pizza?

Regina-style pizza

This style of pizza was created by Greek immigrant Jim Kolitsas in the city of Regina, Saskatchewan, during the 1970s. The pizza is made with deli meat that is piled high and green peppers as a tribute to the colours of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki
Pizza in Canada - Wikipedia

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If there was a ruckus brewing between Ottawa and Saskatoon, and the belligerents were the Canadian Forces vs the He-Man Woman Haters Club of Saskatoon, should the U.S. call on Canada or Saskatchewan to protect the Saskatooners?
Been there, but it was a settlement NNE of Saskatoon called Batoche in Saskatchewan that Ottawa had issues with, or at least the people there.
1708564416376.jpegOnly nautical battle fought in SK that I’m aware of also. Predates selfies & social media as we currently know them though.
1708564449489.jpeg
Not sure if those outside Canada knew this was even happening…but I’m doubtful outside dictates would’ve been welcomed.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Been there, but it was a settlement NNE of Saskatoon called Batoche in Saskatchewan that Ottawa had issues with, or at least the people there.
View attachment 21242Only nautical battle fought in SK that I’m aware of also. Predates selfies & social media as we currently know them though.
View attachment 21243
Not sure if those outside Canada knew this was even happening…but I’m doubtful outside dictates would’ve been welcomed.
Cool place. The hotel in St. Louis made the best Chesters chicken ever.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
View attachment 21242Only nautical battle fought in SK that I’m aware of also. Predates selfies & social media as we currently know them though.
View attachment 21243
Maybe the same is true in Israel?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe the same is true in Israel?
I’m pretty sure it is.

Currently the outside dictates aren’t beneficial to either Israel or the Palestinians, but only to Hamas in their asymmetrical propaganda warfare.

I know you don’t like hitting links on the forum, so here’s some tools to find this yourself on YouTube. “Eylon Levy is interviewed by Brian Lilly.” It’s long (35 minutes) and there’s no chopped down version, but it’s interesting and eye opening and pertains to your question.

This Eylon Levy became a spokesman for the Israeli Gov’t after Oct 7th, in trying to combat Hama’s propaganda wing.

Among other things, he discusses why the Palestinians are where they are in Gaza (Rafah) instead of the safe area that Israel tried to direct them too, the western aid agencies, etc…and it explains things like the following:

With Ramadan just around the corner, a (Canadian) national Muslim organization and several local congregations are warning members of Parliament they won't be welcome in their mosques until they call for:
1) an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, (leaving Hamas in power and control of Gaza)
2) demand restoration of funding for the UN's aid agency (specifically UNRWA)
3) and condemn what they call Israel's "war crimes” which are all lopsided for Hamas and against Israel. (they don’t mention Hamas in their demands though, which is consistent)
An open letter signed by the National Council of Canadian Muslims and a number of prominent mosques, obtained by CBC News, says MPs who refuse to make these pledges publicly will not be "provided with a platform to address our congregations."

"Ramadan (like the Jewish holiday of Shemini Atzeretis on Oct 7th, 2023) is about humanity. This Ramadan (which starts March 10th), more than ever, only those MPs who share in our commitment to humanity will be welcome to address us in our sacred spaces."

The Israeli’s have given Hamas & the Non-Hamas Palestinians weeks notice about this March 10th deadline on the start of this holiday, as opposed to Hamas on Oct 7th with their sneak attack on that holiday.

Respect our Muslim beliefs, but don’t mention our disrespect for the Jewish beliefs…which again is pretty consistent.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's hard to know how to think about Gaza, or "Palestine," that being the West Bank and Gaza. Are they part of Israel by reason of being captured in the 1967 war? Are either or both of them countries? If so, Israel is free to romp & stomp until they surrender. If they're part of Israel, then the Israeli government and courts have the authority and responsibility to define and limit what the Israeli military can do.

The laws of war apply much more vaguely and imprecisely to "internal rebellions" than to international wars. And they're pretty weak sauce anyhow, but at least they give some structure for how to think about the conflict, for anybody whose thinking goes any deeper than "Jews GOOD! Ragheads BAD!" or vice versa.

And Canada, with all due respect, should make some vague noises about human rights and otherwise stay the hell out of it. The key players here are the U.S. and the countries of the Middle East. And I know most of the usual suspects here would scream blue murder if Biden proposed that "niceness is good," but he's done a pretty good job of walking the line of supporting Israel whilst trying to restrain Israel from turning Gaza into an uninhabitable parking lot.

It's complicated and everybody has a valid point. The back-and-forth has been going on for millennia, and it ain't gonna be solved by next week. But if there is a solution, it involves talking, not shooting. Regardless of how justified either side feels in shooting. They'll get there eventually, or they won't.

Only thing I know for certain sure is that deciding one side or the other are white knights and entitled to do any damn thing they feel like will only perpetuate the suffering. Maybe some study of other "intractable" conflicts could produce some ideas?

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Note to Americans.....are you enjoying the cyber attacks?

Americans reporting nationwide cellular outages from AT&T, Cricket Wireless and other providers

A number of Americans are dealing with cellular outages on AT&T, Cricket Wireless, Verizon, T-Mobile and other service providers, according to data from Downdetector.

AT&T had more than 64,000 outages this morning, in locations including Houston, Atlanta and Chicago. The outages began at approximately 3:30 a.m. ET. The carrier has more than 240 million subscribers, the country’s largest.

“Some of our customers are experiencing wireless service interruptions this morning. We are working urgently to restore service to them. We encourage the use of Wi-Fi calling until service is restored,” AT&T said in a statement.

Cricket Wireless had more than 13,000, the outage tracking website said Thursday. Verizon had more than 4,000 outages and T-Mobile had more than 1,900 outages. Boost Mobile had about 700 outages.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Note to Americans.....are you enjoying the cyber attacks?

Americans reporting nationwide cellular outages from AT&T, Cricket Wireless and other providers

A number of Americans are dealing with cellular outages on AT&T, Cricket Wireless, Verizon, T-Mobile and other service providers, according to data from Downdetector.

AT&T had more than 64,000 outages this morning, in locations including Houston, Atlanta and Chicago. The outages began at approximately 3:30 a.m. ET. The carrier has more than 240 million subscribers, the country’s largest.

“Some of our customers are experiencing wireless service interruptions this morning. We are working urgently to restore service to them. We encourage the use of Wi-Fi calling until service is restored,” AT&T said in a statement.

Cricket Wireless had more than 13,000, the outage tracking website said Thursday. Verizon had more than 4,000 outages and T-Mobile had more than 1,900 outages. Boost Mobile had about 700 outages.

They hit Canada 2 months ago.

TORONTO -
Payments processing company Moneris is reporting "intermittent network slowness" this afternoon, one day after experiencing a network outage(opens in a new tab) that it says affected customers' ability to process transactions.

Moneris issued a social media post today saying all systems are operational despite the current issue, but the network slowness "may affect transactions."

The post does not specify how payments may be affected.

Service disruption tracker Downdetector(opens in a new tab) shows Interac and Visa users began reporting issues after 2 p.m. and reports began to subside about an hour later.

This screengrab of a chart on Downdetector.ca shows a view of problem reports submitted in the past 24 hours compared to the typical volume of reports by time of day (Source: downdetactor.ca/status/interac/)

The number of reports Downdetector recorded today is just a fraction of the high volume that apparently poured in during Friday's network outage, which the company reported resolved that afternoon.

Moneris is a joint venture between Royal Bank of Canada and the Bank of Montreal.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 23, 2023

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I’m pretty sure it is.

Currently the outside dictates aren’t beneficial to either Israel or the Palestinians, but only to Hamas in their asymmetrical propaganda warfare.

I know you don’t like hitting links on the forum, so here’s some tools to find this yourself on YouTube. “Eylon Levy is interviewed by Brian Lilly.” It’s long (35 minutes) and there’s no chopped down version, but it’s interesting and eye opening and pertains to your question.

This Eylon Levy became a spokesman for the Israeli Gov’t after Oct 7th, in trying to combat Hama’s propaganda wing.

Among other things, he discusses why the Palestinians are where they are in Gaza (Rafah) instead of the safe area that Israel tried to direct them too, the western aid agencies, etc…and it explains things like the following:

With Ramadan just around the corner, a (Canadian) national Muslim organization and several local congregations are warning members of Parliament they won't be welcome in their mosques until they call for:
1) an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, (leaving Hamas in power and control of Gaza)
2) demand restoration of funding for the UN's aid agency (specifically UNRWA)
3) and condemn what they call Israel's "war crimes” which are all lopsided for Hamas and against Israel. (they don’t mention Hamas in their demands though, which is consistent)
An open letter signed by the National Council of Canadian Muslims and a number of prominent mosques, obtained by CBC News, says MPs who refuse to make these pledges publicly will not be "provided with a platform to address our congregations."

"Ramadan (like the Jewish holiday of Shemini Atzeretis on Oct 7th, 2023) is about humanity. This Ramadan (which starts March 10th), more than ever, only those MPs who share in our commitment to humanity will be welcome to address us in our sacred spaces."

The Israeli’s have given Hamas & the Non-Hamas Palestinians weeks notice about this March 10th deadline on the start of this holiday, as opposed to Hamas on Oct 7th with their sneak attack on that holiday.

Respect our Muslim beliefs, but don’t mention our disrespect for the Jewish beliefs…which again is pretty consistent.
Yes let’s bring in more and we can make Toronto into Gaza . Sort of a mini Dearborn .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Vetted I hope.
As much as we vet any refugee, as opposed to how immigrants are vetted, I’d assume.

Ex-Daughter-in-Law from Utah was vetted up the wazoo but her family where Mormons a couple generations back so…& she was an immigrant as opposed to a refugee, etc…so she couldn’t flush her passport down the airline crapper mid-flight or anything like that and then claim asylum.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I believe Canada has only committed to 1000 from Gaza at this point, or maybe that’s from Palestine (?) which is still Gaza, plus the West Bank?
Plus ongoing family reunification, should bring it up to 10,000 in a couple of years .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I believe Canada has only committed to 1000 from Gaza at this point, or maybe that’s from Palestine (?) which is still Gaza, plus the West Bank?
The federal government has officially launched its special immigration measures program for extended family members of Palestinian Canadians trying to escape the war in Gaza, allowing 1,000 of them to move to Canada temporarily…from the CBC.

The federal government has officially launched its special immigration measures program for extended family members of Palestinian Canadians trying to escape the war in Gaza, allowing 1,000 of them to move here on a temporary basis.

The program's website went live Tuesday afternoon. It says applicants are required to have up-to-date passports and results of biometric tests, such as fingerprints and photos for facial recognition. They must also show they will be supported by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for a year.

Successful applicants will receive temporary visas good for three years.
The government has capped the number of successful applicants at 1,000, citing the volatile situation on the ground in Gaza and the obstacles it has faced in getting people out.

In an interview with CBC's Power and Politics on Tuesday, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said the government would show some flexibility.

"It would be pointless to shut things down once a thousand applications come in of varying quality," he said.
Plus ongoing family reunification, should bring it up to 10,000 in a couple of years .
"We want to get a sense of what that volume is and we will be flexible. You know, we don't have a sense of what the numbers are that we're dealing with. We're speculating."

The National Council of Canadian Muslims, which had been advocating for such a program, has said it is in contact with the families of more than 1,000 potential applicants.
Vetted I hope.
Refugee advocates have criticized some of the program's requirements.

The process starts with Palestinian Canadians providing a sworn statement attesting they can support their relatives financially for up to a year after their arrival, and help them access social services and schooling.

That statement has to be notarized — a requirement not previously publicized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Palestinian-Canadian community has mobilized to welcome far more than 1,000 applicants — a number she said represents a fraction of the demand, given the census estimates the number of Palestinian Canadians at close to 45,000.

Anyway, link, etc…

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The federal government has officially launched its special immigration measures program for extended family members of Palestinian Canadians trying to escape the war in Gaza, allowing 1,000 of them to move to Canada temporarily…from the CBC.

The federal government has officially launched its special immigration measures program for extended family members of Palestinian Canadians trying to escape the war in Gaza, allowing 1,000 of them to move here on a temporary basis.

The program's website went live Tuesday afternoon. It says applicants are required to have up-to-date passports and results of biometric tests, such as fingerprints and photos for facial recognition. They must also show they will be supported by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for a year.

Successful applicants will receive temporary visas good for three years.
The government has capped the number of successful applicants at 1,000, citing the volatile situation on the ground in Gaza and the obstacles it has faced in getting people out.

In an interview with CBC's Power and Politics on Tuesday, Immigration Minister Marc Miller said the government would show some flexibility.

"It would be pointless to shut things down once a thousand applications come in of varying quality," he said.

"We want to get a sense of what that volume is and we will be flexible. You know, we don't have a sense of what the numbers are that we're dealing with. We're speculating."

The National Council of Canadian Muslims, which had been advocating for such a program, has said it is in contact with the families of more than 1,000 potential applicants.

Refugee advocates have criticized some of the program's requirements.

The process starts with Palestinian Canadians providing a sworn statement attesting they can support their relatives financially for up to a year after their arrival, and help them access social services and schooling.

That statement has to be notarized — a requirement not previously publicized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

The Palestinian-Canadian community has mobilized to welcome far more than 1,000 applicants — a number she said represents a fraction of the demand, given the census estimates the number of Palestinian Canadians at close to 45,000.

Anyway, link, etc…
So which airport do they depart from?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So which airport do they depart from?
I’m assuming the closest functional one would be Israel’s….But maybe from Egypt, but that would make them hitting Canada as a third country…and the same with Syria, assuming they have a functional airport…that’s actually a really good question.

I’m gonna ass/u/me from Egypt, and they just take the subway there under the wall and avoid the crowds and the rush?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I’m assuming the closest functional one would be Israel’s….But maybe from Egypt, but that would make them hitting Canada as a third country…and the same with Syria, assuming they have a functional airport…that’s actually a really good question.

I’m gonna ass/u/me from Egypt, and they just take the subway there under the wall and avoid the crowds and the rush?
Egypt is not letting them in , they don’t want them .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Jordan most likely as it borders West Bank.