Half of Canadians Want Refugees Deported

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do you think that means these people are illegal refugees? You're trying to reply with an irrelevant point. The fact that refugees cannot be illegal and the fact that these people didn't cross the border legally are two separate concepts.

In fact, if these people had crossed at an official border crossing, our agreement with the United States would have had us turn them away. Because they crossed illegally, they take advantage of a loophole in that agreement which is only possibly because crossing the border illegally has no bearing on a refugee's legal status.

People try to apply the label "illegal" as excuse for their lack of compassion. The fact is, whether they crossed the border at an official crossing or not, Jesus-loving conservatives don't want them here anyway. They need to stop covering up their hatred for their fellow man with spurious nonsense about legality.

Having trouble figuring out the difference between an asylum seeker and a refugee?

Hehehe...

Best me to it.

It's easy to best you.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Of course I don't...that's why in our previous exchange I stated that as far as I was aware, there is no such term as illegal refugee.

So what are you arguing with me about?

What are you talking about?? They aren't even refugees...they're refugee claimants. Their claim hasn't been processed and they haven't deemed to be admissible or inadmissible into Canada. The only way they would be processed and cleared on arrival is if they followed proper protocol and applied for refugee status before they got here. This is not the route they have chosen, so anyone referring to them as refugees is simply incorrect and inaccurate.

You should stop calling them refugees then.

This is such a bullsh*t insinuation. No one is saying they can't come here, only that they need to follow the rules.

Of course they are. When we let in Syrian refugees, it's done through the official bureaucratic process and plenty of people said we shouldn't be doing it. Because the legality of their crossing wasn't an issue, it couldn't be used as an excuse. Now with these people coming from the United States, the legality of their crossing is an issue and people can use it as an excuse, and they have. Shockingly it's the same people.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Twila on that high horse yet again... sigh... how typical.

nice dance es. Don't worry nobody cares that you used name calling while denegrating those who call names. My riding a high horse on this has nothing to do with it either. Besides, my horse is only this high cause yours is so very very low.

LOL.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Of course they are. When we let in Syrian refugees, it's done through the official bureaucratic process and plenty of people said we shouldn't be doing it. Because the legality of their crossing wasn't an issue, it couldn't be used as an excuse.
As you apparently must not be aware, the OP has nothing to do with Syrian refugees, it is stating that a high percentage of Canadians believe that illegal border crossers coming from the US should be sent back. They call them illegal refugees in the link, and we both agree this is not correct terminology. I however, understand that this term is being used (incorrectly) to define illegal border crossing asylum seekers, since as we agree, true refugees following established process do not illegally cross the border.

If you read the link in the first post, the first line states that "Support is growing among Canadians to deport illegal refugees who are entering Canada at unofficial border crossings." To try and suggest that this has anything whatsoever to do with Syrian refugees who have entered through the proper refugee system is disingenuous and irrelevant. Trying to argue that this is not an issue because terminology is being used incorrectly is missing the point entirely.

Now with these people coming from the United States, the legality of their crossing is an issue and people can use it as an excuse, and they have. Shockingly it's the same people.
What "people" are you talking about? Do you have anything to back up your allegation or is this just baseless rhetoric?

Do you agree or not agree that people crossing the border illegally is an issue?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As you apparently must not be aware, the OP has nothing to do with Syrian refugees, it is stating that a high percentage of Canadians believe that illegal border crossers coming from the US should be sent back. They call them illegal refugees in the link, and we both agree this is not correct terminology. I however, understand that this term is being used (incorrectly) to define illegal border crossing asylum seekers, since as we agree, true refugees following established process do not illegally cross the border.

As for terminology, I reject the expression "illegal refugee" because it implies that refugees could be legal or illegal, which they cannot. But I do accept calling people refugees who haven't been granted refugee status but are seeking it. In discussion, using the expression with a general meaning without legal implications is useful. However, when you use the term "illegal refugee" you suggest that it's possible to be an illegal refugee and, in my experience, are using the term as an excuse deny refugee seekers legitimacy.

If you read the link in the first post, the first line states that "Support is growing among Canadians to deport illegal refugees who are entering Canada at unofficial border crossings." To try and suggest that this has anything whatsoever to do with Syrian refugees who have entered through the proper refugee system is disingenuous and irrelevant. Trying to argue that this is not an issue because terminology is being used incorrectly is missing the point entirely.

You seem to have misunderstood why I mentioned Syrian refugees.

Do you agree or not agree that people crossing the border illegally is an issue?

Yes, of course, these people are risking their lives to come here. They need immediate medical attention on arrival and they need places to live and food to eat while their claims are processed.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Whenever he discusses Trump. I know that bothers you.

lol if you call that "factual" we will call you "dimb" [sic]
don't worry though
;)
its all good...unkle georgie S will hone you a new one on train day

Yes, of course, these people are risking their lives to come here. They need immediate medical attention on arrival and they need places to live and food to eat while their claims are processed.
yeah its called 'where they came from"
and if your ol SOROS funded nazis pals would stop bombing the place and stealing all the gold and resources, these folks could go home

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
As for terminology, I reject the expression "illegal refugee" because it implies that refugees could be legal or illegal, which they cannot. But I do accept calling people refugees who haven't been granted refugee status but are seeking it. In discussion, using the expression with a general meaning without legal implications is useful. However, when you use the term "illegal refugee" you suggest that it's possible to be an illegal refugee and, in my experience, are using the term as an excuse deny refugee seekers legitimacy.
So you accept calling people refugees who aren't, but reject calling people illegal who cross an international border illegally. This is where we disagree...I prefer to deal in logic.

Ironically, if you accept calling these people refugees even thought they are not, then technically the term illegal refugee is correct by this standard.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So you accept calling people refugees who aren't, but reject calling people illegal who cross an international border illegally. This is where we disagree...I prefer to deal in logic.

No, I reject calling refugees illegal. Did you deliberately drop the word "refugee" to warp my words and not think I'd notice?

Technically, if you accept calling these people refugees even thought hey are not, then the term illegal refugee is correct by your standard.
I could explain it to you again, if you want. I thought it was easy to understand.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
No, I reject calling refugees illegal. Did you deliberately drop the word "refugee" to warp my words and not think I'd notice?
No, deception is not my style. Logic demands that if people are crossing an international border illegally, they're here illegally. If you prefer to call people who have not been granted refugee status refugees, that's you're call...but it's incorrect.

I could explain it to you again, if you want. I thought it was easy to understand.
Better not, you may confuse yourself more.