Grocery Store Chain Tax?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yep. Competitiveness with those in other nations not also dealing with an ever escalating carbon tax (every April Fools Day) & a Clean Fuel Standard Tax with both taxes being further taxed with the GST Tax, is that an issue to those imposing this stupidity upon the rest of us? Apparently not.
SK has some of if not the greenest steel in the world. Evraz should be expanding to meet the high demand but they can't compete with the cheap dirty steel on the market. They cant even compete domestically with restriction free steel from Asia being imported. The carbon tax costs they have have to absorb per day would financially cripple a single person for life.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So. . . the Canadian carbon taxes are driving up food prices in the U.S., the EU, and around the world?

Impressive!
What's even more impressive is your tiny American mind can't fathom the idea that stuff like this doesn't affect every country exactly the same and that reckless, bone-headed, ideological govt policies can cause food prices to increase by a greater percentage than other countries.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What's even more impressive is your tiny American mind can't fathom the idea that stuff like this doesn't affect every country exactly the same and that reckless, bone-headed, ideological govt policies can cause food prices to increase by a greater percentage than other countries.
And yet the only factor you cited in the food price rise was the carbon tax.

"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear, and wrong."
--HL Mencken

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Things are tough everywhere right now, but we getting extra dose on top of…. Between the carbon tax and the clean fuel standard tax, and both of those taxes are taxed with the GST. Good times.

It is substantial and influential in Canada for Canadians who are competing globally with others. if the industry that you’re in is not affected by this than good on you, but mine is, and so is my cost to heat my home, and my cost for electricity, and my cost for everything that I purchase that has arrived on a truck or a train or plane. Oh, and also at the pumps for our own personal vehicles.
Don't forget the fact we are paid in Northern Peso, but most of what we buy is at some point priced in US $$$$. Even our own gas is priced on the world market. On the West coast, we pay Seattle spot price.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
That is because he is the cause of so many of our problems. Both financial and political.
And the PM before him and the PM before him...

Same shit, different players. At this point, none of them give a shit, and likely future ones won't give a shit.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
And the PM before him and the PM before him...

Same shit, different players. At this point, none of them give a shit, and likely future ones won't give a shit.
Levels & degrees. On Thursday afternoon, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a tax cut to lower the cost of housing while threatening a tax hike to lower the price of food.

The competing proposals come as Trudeau’s Liberal Party is trailing badly in the polls and looking for any populist policy that will give them a bump. Too little, too late.
On this site the stock answer is to whimper about True Dope.
Yeah, I hear you, but I’m willing to trade him for Orange Convict & Dementia Sniffer in a two for one deal if you’re interested.

Anyway, that the two ideas (tax cut to lower the cost of housing while threatening a tax hike to lower the price of food) are fundamentally at odds with each other seemed lost on him (Trudeau). Reducing the GST on new builds of rental apartments is a good idea at least eight years too late, & putting a tax on grocery stores in not.
And yet the only factor you cited in the food price rise was the carbon tax.
Carbon Taxes (plural) that’re in turn taxed by the GST at every stage along the way. It’s not the only factor, but that doesn’t make it irrelevant, and it would be an immediate measure to bring some relief by dropping these multiple carbon taxes at least as they relate to food production, transport, ect…something real and now.
"For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, clear, and wrong."
--HL Mencken
Right or wrong, it’s an actual action for “close” to an immediate result. It’s true that grocery prices are too high, that food inflation is a real problem for many, but adding extra taxes won’t help because they’ll just get passed onto the end used & be re-taxed again when that happens.

“We expect to hear from them (grocery store executives) by Thanksgiving on what their plan is to stabilize prices. And let me be very clear: If their plan doesn’t provide real relief for the middle class and people working hard to join it, then we will take further action, and we are not ruling anything out, including tax measures,” Trudeau said….not noting global supply chain issues or the war in Ukraine or the price of tea in China.

What he is clearly talking about is what the NDP has been demanding for some time, what Jagmeet Singh calls an “excess profits” tax. Now Trudeau is adopting Singh’s populist idea of taxing the rich to feed the poor.

“When it comes to these large companies that are making excess profits, we put in place an ‘excess profit tax’ on the companies,” Singh said last month standing outside a grocery store…that would get passed onto….wait for it…the end user.

He suggested the government impose that tax and then redistribute the money back to Canadians via the GST rebate because bureaucrats and bureaucracy costs nothing and those extra layers will make things better. That would help people at the low end of the economic ladder, but it wouldn’t help the average Canadian family struggling to put food on the table because they don’t get a GST rebate.

Personally, the last GST Cheque I’ve seen was in 1998. It’s horrible economics and even worse policy but it’s the type of populist claptrap that people might lap up and say, “Yeah, tax those guys over there with all the money!”

But if retailers don’t work together with producers (who are also hammered with plural carbon taxes, that are taxed) to lower prices, Trudeau is threatening to tax them more. Essentially, the Trudeau government is asking the entire grocery industry to fix prices, which is illegal, but will be OK because the government (at least at this point) is sanctioning it.

Then to housing. Since COVID, how many office towers and government buildings are essentially empty with people still “remote working” from home? Many of those would be in urban downtown districts with public transportation (or what passes for it) based around the downtown cores. Could that be part of the answer? I bet there’s several floors at Revenue Canada alone that could house the homeless, and future homeless immigrants that haven’t made it here yet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is Canadian bacon getting any cheaper for the US pizza market?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is Canadian bacon getting any cheaper for the US pizza market?
I’ve had “Canadian Bacon” a few times in my life, on pizza, and that’s it. What’s Canadian about it? Is it like pineapple on pizza making it Hawaiian?

Back to housing, removing the GST on the construction of new rental apartment buildings is a sensible idea, which Trudeau first promised in the 2015 federal election campaign eight years ago.

Two years later, he abandoned it, saying there were better ways to build more affordable housing, before reviving his promise last week, six years after he killed it. That said, at least cutting federal taxes to promote the building of more housing makes sense.

That’s a Compliment, to Trudeau, by me!! Seriously!

Trudeau’s new focus on affordable housing is at least an improvement over his tone-deaf statement last month that housing isn’t “a primary federal responsibility”.

Trudeau’s response to the high cost of groceries is heading in the opposite direction — with the PM demanding meetings with the heads of Canada’s five largest grocery chains and warning them to come up with a plan to lower prices by Thanksgiving, or the government may impose a windfall profits tax on them.

Raising taxes in order to lower prices is as asinine as taxing Canadians to put more money in their pockets…. but nobody would be clueless enough to try & push that farce.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I’ve had “Canadian Bacon” a few times in my life, on pizza, and that’s it.

Back to housing, removing the GST on the construction of new rental apartment buildings is a sensible idea, which Trudeau first promised in the 2015 federal election campaign eight years ago.

Two years later, he abandoned it, saying there were better ways to build more affordable housing, before reviving his promise last week, six years after he killed it. That said, at least cutting federal taxes to promote the building of more housing makes sense.

That’s a Compliment, to Trudeau, by me!! Seriously!

Trudeau’s new focus on affordable housing is at least an improvement over his tone-deaf statement last month that housing isn’t “a primary federal responsibility”.

Trudeau’s response to the high cost of groceries is heading in the opposite direction — with the PM demanding meetings with the heads of Canada’s five largest grocery chains and warning them to come up with a plan to lower prices by Thanksgiving, or the government may impose a windfall profits tax on them.

Raising taxes in order to lower prices is as asinine as taxing Canadians to put more money in their pockets…. but nobody would be clueless enough to try & push that farce.
No GST on any building materials post wholesale price for builders and DYI would go a long way.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No GST on any building materials post wholesale price for builders and DYI would go a long way.
Does this No GST only hit apartments and condos (?) or does it actually include single family dwellings too? Everything I’ve seen so far only includes “High-Density” dwellings jamming multiple families under the same roof sort’a thing….& is it only for rental units but not for people that actually want to own their own homes??

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Does this No GST only hit apartments and condos (?) or does it actually include single family dwellings too? Everything I’ve seen so far only includes “High-Density” dwellings jamming multiple families under the same roof sort’a thing….
Are there any developers in or were in the Trudeau Foundation?

Trudeau Foundation. Is that a product from L'Oréal which is just black Kiwi shoe polish?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
When it comes to these large companies that are making excess profits, we put in place an ‘excess profit tax’ on the companies,” Singh said last month standing outside a grocery store…that would get passed onto….wait for it…the end user.
WHo gets to decide what is excess profit? And at what point in the distribution of wealth? Should it be on the company, or the shareholders personal income? For that matter, taxing investment income at the same rate as wage income would make a significant difference in total tax revenue.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
WHo gets to decide what is excess profit? And at what point in the distribution of wealth? Should it be on the company, or the shareholders personal income? For that matter, taxing investment income at the same rate as wage income would make a significant difference in total tax revenue.
There are no excess profits they go to dividends which are taxed at the personal rate as income.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Perhaps the definition of excessive profit is an individual owning more than one wrist watch in excess of a $5000 retail value each? I personally think that’s apt.
1694976921509.jpeg
1694977013137.jpeg
According to a 2018 profile of Singh in Toronto Life, he actually owns two Rolex models: an Oyster Perpetual Datejust and a Submariner. The price of the watches ranges anywhere from about $6,000 to more than $50,000, depending on the collection. That’s a demonstration of Excess Profit….but maybe that’s just me.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Perhaps the definition of excessive profit is an individual owning more than one wrist watch in excess of a $5000 retail value each? I personally think that’s apt.
View attachment 19355
View attachment 19356
According to a 2018 profile of Singh in Toronto Life, he actually owns two Rolex models: an Oyster Perpetual Datejust and a Submariner. The price of the watches ranges anywhere from about $6,000 to more than $50,000, depending on the collection. That’s a demonstration of Excess Profit….but maybe that’s just me.
He apparently also has revenue property.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Does this No GST only hit apartments and condos (?) or does it actually include single family dwellings too? Everything I’ve seen so far only includes “High-Density” dwellings jamming multiple families under the same roof sort’a thing….& is it only for rental units but not for people that actually want to own their own homes??
The Trudeau government’s move to eliminate GST on purpose built rental housing is being called a good first step by some developers…
So this is only for rental properties. That’s interesting All by itself.

After a two-day caucus retreat, the Liberals announced that newly built rental units would qualify for a rebate on the GST paid on building supplies and other costs. They also announced plans to put “more pressure” on cities to ease zoning rules to allow for more multi-unit builds and housing density near transit projects.
Housing Minister Sean Fraser said, “We’re going to change the equation and it’s going to grow supply immensely across this country, but it’s also going to change the kinds of homes that people build,” Fraser said. So temporary homes as rental units, & not homes that individuals can both purchase and occupy.

“We’re going to see more apartments go instead of condominiums that will be rented out or held onto without somebody living in them. We tend to see that apartments rent for a couple hundred bucks less every month than their comparative condominium that goes up.”

The federal Liberals are in big trouble and they clearly don’t know what to do about it. But by God they’re game to try anything, not least on social media. And so it was on Wednesday afternoon that Whitby, Ont. MP Ryan Turnbull (or someone on his behalf) took to the keyboard to assail Conservative leader (who is not Canada’s Prime Minister at this point) Pierre Poilievre’s housing policy.

(The punchline: Not even 24 hours after Turnbull’s tweet came news that his Liberal party had entirely embraced Polievre’s terribly unfancy proposal.)

Details of Poilievre’s plan that was so horrible that it was adopted by the Liberals can be found here:

Damn backwards Right Wingers and their lockstep thinking and anti-science stuff.)

There’s nothing novel about the Liberals defending a policy position like the Soviets defended Stalingrad, then abandoning it overnight in favour of the opposite position — and then immediately attacking anyone so stupid or ignorant as to still support the previous policy.

But here, they can’t attack anyone for anything. They’ve conceded Poilievre’s point in full.

“Poilievre’s plan is to cut funding to municipalities so he can intimidate them into building more homes,” Turnbull lamented. “We are already making historic investments in housing, knowing there is much more to do and we are focused on tackling this crisis head-on,”

Under Poilievre’s proposal, announced 16 months ago and fleshed out on Thursday, “cities would have to increase the number of homes built by 15 per cent each year and then 15 per cent on top of the previous target every year (it compounds).”

“If targets are missed, cities will have to catch up in the following years and build even more homes, or a percentage of their federal funding will be withheld, equivalent to the percentage they missed their target by.”

Cities that exceed their targets — what a lovely dream — would be eligible for a bonus from Ottawa.

Anyway, Globe and Mail reporter Marieke Walsh launched a journalism harpoon right into Trudeau’s thorax. The Liberals’ 2015 platform had promised that GST exemption, she noted.

“You broke that promise in your first mandate. Now eight years later, after saying that it wasn’t evidence-based and wasn’t needed, you’re saying it is. Why should voters stick with you on this?”