GOLDSTEIN: Trudeau’s handgun ‘freeze’ won’t freeze illegal handguns

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

As much as everyone knows this is bullshit of the highest order and won't save a single life, it will leave the CPC in a bit of a delicate situation next election. Erin otoole basically blew his entire campaign with his three day flip flop on the firearms issue, and PP is going to have to come up with a solid answer to that question and stick to it.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The problem with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s handgun freeze is that it won’t freeze guns smuggled illegally into Canada from the U.S. which account for 85% of all handguns used for criminal purposes.

The Trudeau government knows this — it said as much in a 2018 discussion paper on gun violence, by the public safety ministry.

It said:

“The vast majority of owners of handguns and of other firearms in Canada lawfully abide by requirements, and most gun crimes are not committed with legally-owned firearms.”

The problem with freezing handgun sales, a national handgun ban, or allowing cities to ban handguns — all ideas the Trudeau government has floated since being elected in 2015 — is that they reduce focus on illegal handguns.

“Many participants felt strongly that a ban would target law-abiding owners, rather than illicit firearms, and would not greatly impact crime reduction (particularly gang violence). As a result, many called for enhanced enforcement capacity for law enforcement and border services, as well as harsher punishments for firearms trafficking and gun-related crime” from a federal government report on public reaction to its 2018 discussion paper.

“A handgun ban in Toronto will do nothing to abate gun crime. A city ban would have to be a bylaw, and criminals are totally ignoring criminal law, so a bylaw ticket likely won’t scare them! And the ‘law abiding’ handgun owners are just that, and not a threat” from Chris Lewis, former commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Meanwhile, the Trudeau government is eliminating mandatory minimum sentences on a wide range of gun crimes including:

Using a firearm or imitation firearm in the commission of an offence; knowingly possessing an unauthorized firearm; possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition; possession of a weapon obtained by commission of an offence; extortion with a firearm; discharging a firearm with intent; discharging a firearm — recklessness; robbery with a firearm; and extortion with a firearm.

That legislation, has received third reading in the House of Commons and is now being debated in the Senate.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Gun wont go away. How they are used will. Ill swap out any weapon I have for the equivalent with a biometrics lock out. If not in my hands it just another chunck of iron and wood.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Gun wont go away. How they are used will. Ill swap out any weapon I have for the equivalent with a biometrics lock out. If not in my hands it just another chunck of iron and wood.
From the outside looking in, does this technology exist yet and is it already being used by government, military, and law-enforcement?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

As much as everyone knows this is bullshit of the highest order and won't save a single life, it will leave the CPC in a bit of a delicate situation next election. Erin otoole basically blew his entire campaign with his three day flip flop on the firearms issue, and PP is going to have to come up with a solid answer to that question and stick to it.
Make a clear choice. Make handguns mandatory for anyone that doesn’t have a criminal record, and a hanging offence for anyone that does.

Reactions: The_Foxer

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Reactions: Ron in Regina

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
From the outside looking in, does this technology exist yet and is it already being used by government, military, and law-enforcement?
Yes - but it's unreliable. So the cops won't use it because nobody wants to hear "fingerprint scan not recognized" when they really needed to hear "bang' :) There's a few models and methods but it's just not ready for mainstream yet. There are companies still working on refining it.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
You mean Jerome will still be selling Bubba a gun on the street corner? Say it ain't so.
Apparently, if I want one, I'll have to find out where "bubba" stays so I can get me one & if I find I need one, that's exactly what I'll do. I have contacts LOL

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
???????????????????????????????????????

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s new handgun prohibitions and confiscations aren’t yet in effect, Blacklock’s Reportersaid today, challenging Trudeau’s claims that they took effect October 21.

Regulations can come into force only after they are published in the Canada Gazette, the government’s official newspaper, Blacklock’s said. The anti-gun measures are scheduled for publication on November 9.

“Doesn’t matter what @justintrudeau says. If it’s not in @CanadaGazette, it’s not a law,” Blacklock’s said on Twitter. They followed up with a podcast on the topic.
Why It Matters
  • Legal experts disagreed today in their interpretations of Canadian law defining when regulations take effect.
  • If Blacklock’s is right, it means handgunners have more time to shop before Trudeau kills the market.
  • The RCMP and many Chief Firearms Officers are acting as if the regulations are in effect, and they will prohibit new handgun purchases.
  • The confusion and uncertainty show how Canada’s anti-gun policy regime is designed to create complexity and confusion to make it easier to criminalize and confiscate.
  • Government Response
  • Tim Warmington, a spokesperson for the Department of Public Safety, e-mailed the following statement to TheGunBlog.ca this evening in response to our request for clarification on the date.
  • The national freeze on handguns came into force following approval by the Governor General and registration, the latter of which occurred on October 21, 2022, through regulatory amendments to the Firearms Act. The regulations are in force: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=42706&lang=enas the regulations prescribed the coming into force date as the registration date.

The text of the regulations will be published officially in the Canada Gazette on Nov 9, 2022. Until then, a courtesy copy of the regulations are temporarily posted on the Public Safety Canada website : https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cntrng-crm/frrms/2022-rgltns-tmp-en.aspx
    ??????????????????????????????????