Four Killed in New Brunswick Shooting

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I should point out that when police officers go down in the line of duty there is a collective sense of loss across this great nation.

Senseless tragedy, really.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Oh NOE!!! New Brunswick has been shot!!!

Those police should have chosen logging...

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
What do we know about the suspect?
What we know:
The police currently have a 48-year-old, Fredericton-based man in custody who they say is recovering from serious injuries. The suspect's parents told The Canadian Press that their son suffered from severe mental illness.
What we don't know:
His identity has not been released and his motive remains unclear.

Couple of the victims names released click the link

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Victim's widow says she called Trudeau 'piece of s---' during call
Canadian Press
Published:
August 16, 2018
Updated:
August 16, 2018 4:15 PM EDT
Donnie Robichaud, centre, poses with his sons Draiden and Zakkery in this family handout photo.HO / THE CANADIAN PRESS
FREDERICTON — The widow of a civilian killed in last Friday’s Fredericton shootings says she has no regrets about the profane phrase she directed at Justin Trudeau during his condolence call to her Wednesday.
Melissa Robichaud said her family was hurt the prime minister did not reach out to them Sunday while in the city, where he paid public tribute to Constables Robb Costello and Sara Burns at city hall.
Robichaud said Trudeau told her he had wanted to give his condolences for the death of her husband, Donnie Robichaud, but couldn’t because he was meeting with families of the police officers.
“So I said so what. They wear a vest, they carry a gun, that makes them more important than one of us? I called him a piece of (expletive),” she said in an interview Thursday.
Robichaud said she swore at him because her two sons have been made to feel that their father was somehow less important.
“Honestly I just lost my husband and my kids have just lost their father. My son put it on Facebook how hurt he was that he (Trudeau) was in town and he couldn’t even find a phone number to call and give his condolences or anything like that.”
Public visitation set for Fredericton constables killed during shooting
‘IT WAS REALLY SCARY’: Fredericton woman recounts terrifying moments after gunshots rang out
Fredericton shooting suspect had gun licence, weapon legally obtainable
‘KEEP COMING, YOU’LL GET ‘ER NEXT!’: Witnesses recount Fredericton shooting — moment by moment
FREDERICTON SHOOTING: Slain couple had ‘first date last Friday’
Donnie Robichaud and Bobbie Lee Wright were also gunned down with Costello and Burns at an apartment complex on the city’s north side.
When asked for a response Thursday, it was clear the Prime Minister’s Office was wary of commenting in detail about what was said.
“The Prime Minister reached out to personally offer his condolences to the families of the victims,” spokeswoman Chantal Gagnon said in an email.
“We cannot imagine what they are going through. He offered our support to the families and will continue to do so.”
The PMO confirmed that Trudeau had spoken to Melissa Robichaud and her two sons and that he would be speaking to Wright’s family in the next few days.
While Robichaud admitted that she doesn’t like Trudeau to begin with, she doesn’t regret what she said.
“Oh my God no,” she said. “If he was here I would say it again to his face.”
An obituary published earlier this week said there would be no visitation or funeral for Donnie Robichaud in keeping with his wishes.
Melissa Robichaud said she was getting ready later Thursday to scatter Donnie’s ashes. She said they had been married for 16 years before separating last December.
“It’s what he asked for, we talked about it,” she said. “He didn’t want a funeral, he wanted nothing to do with church … he didn’t want a memorial or anything like that. He wasn’t a religious man whatsoever and that was just him.”
The family had previously confirmed that Robichaud had been a member of the Bacchus Motorcycle Club, but said he had left about a year before his death.
“I’m taking his ashes along a strip that we all used to take on the bikes and letting them go,” said Melissa.
Meanwhile, hundreds of mourners attended a public visitation Thursday for Costello and Burns, while a regimental funeral is planned for the two officers on Saturday. Thousands of police officers and first responders from across the country are expected to attend.
A public visitation was held Wednesday evening for Wright at a funeral home near Woodstock, N.B.
http://torontosun.com/news/national...led-trudeau-piece-of-s-during-condolence-call

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BONOKOSKI: No apology or regrets for not putting polish to a perceived turd
Mark Bonokoski
Published:
August 17, 2018
Updated:
August 17, 2018 4:14 PM EDT
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau works the crowd as he attends the the International Balloon Festival in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., on Thursday, August 16, 2018.Paul Chiasson / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Unlike most Canadians, stereotyped to the point of mockery for immediately apologizing for just about anything, Melissa Robichaud has no regrets over calling our prime minister a “piece of s—.”
Few should blame her.
We have a prime minister in Justin Trudeau who loves drama and the sound of his own voice, who loves any mirror that reflects his image, and who will shamelessly insert himself into any narrative where political points can be scored by him playing the role of a compassionate knight in shining armor.
He seems to love life when it has a soap opera feel to it, especially when he can well up with tears to steal the scene.
As prime ministers go, he’s a great dramatic actor.
A week ago Friday was a hellish day for the New Brunswick capital of Fredericton. Two of its police officers, Robb Costello and Sara Burns, were murdered while responding to a gun call that had already left two civilians dead, Bobbie Lee Wright and Donnie Robichaud.
Melissa Robichaud is Donnie Robichaud’s widow, the mother of their two young sons, and estranged since December after 16 years of marriage.
What ticked off Robichaud was the fact that Justin Trudeau left her off his grief list when he flew to Fredericton last Sunday to pay public tribute at city hall to the two fallen police officers.
In fact, he did not reach out to Robichaud until three days had passed, in a phone call, where he purportedly told her he would have visited her personally if he had not been tied up meeting with the families of the downed police.
Robichaud’s response was to say, “So what?”
“Honestly I just lost my husband and my kids have just lost their father,” Robichaud told the Canadian Press. “My son put it on Facebook how hurt he was that (Trudeau) was in town and he couldn’t even find a phone number to call and give his condolences or anything like that.”
Which is why, three days later when Trudeau finally did call, Melissa Robichaud called him a “piece of s—.”
Victim’s widow says she called Trudeau ‘piece of s—‘ during call
She has no regrets, of course.
“If he was here, I would say it again to his face,” she said.
A full regimental funeral was held Saturday to “celebrate the lives” of the two gunned-down Fredericton police officers. The body of Donnie Robichaud has already been cremated, with no visitation and no funeral held.
“It’s what he asked for, what we talked about,” said his widow. “He didn’t want a funeral, he wanted nothing to do with church.”
As reported by Global, the Prime Minister’s Office was ‘wary” of commenting on any details surrounding their leader’s contact with the families of Donnie Robichaud and Bobbie Lee Wright.
“The Prime Minister reached out personally to offer his condolences to the families of the victims,” the PMO said. “We cannot imagine what they are going through.”
That would now appear to be obvious.
Melissa Robichaud has admitted she has no love for Justin Trudeau, but there is a growing number of Canadians who likely share the same thought.
It is getting harder and harder, in fact, to give Justin Trudeau the benefit of sincerity when he is so often over-the-top.
The death from cancer of Tragically Hip front man Gord Downie was certainly a sad moment, for example, but Trudeau’s breaking down in tears came across as a little too scripted and therefore contrived.
But the spotlight was on, and when Justin Trudeau sees a spotlight, he cannot stop himself from stepping in.
Bottom line, he should have stuck with teaching drama rather than entering politics to practice it.
markbonokoski@gmail.com
http://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...ts-for-not-putting-polish-to-a-perceived-turd

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Fredericton shooting: Crown asks for psychiatric assessment
Canadian Press
Published:
October 29, 2018
Updated:
October 29, 2018 11:54 AM EDT
Matthew Vincent Raymond, charged with four counts of first degree murder, arrives at provincial court in Fredericton on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018. Two city police officers were among four people who died in a shooting in a residential area on the city's north side.Andrew Vaughan / The Canadian Press
FREDERICTON — Alleged Fredericton gunman Matthew Raymond’s claims of temporary insanity have prompted the Crown to seek a psychological assessment to determine if he is able to stand trial.
In a court outburst last week, Raymond said he should be “exonerated” immediately because of temporary insanity. He said he has evidence that will show his innocence in the deaths of Fredericton police constables Sara Burns and Robb Costello, and civilians Donnie Robichaud and Bobbie Lee Wright.
The four were gunned down Aug. 10 outside an apartment complex in the city; Raymond is charged with four counts of first-degree murder.
“I had concerns based upon what he had said in court,” Crown prosecutor Darlene Blunston told Judge Julian Dickson Monday of her request for an assessment to determine if Raymond was not criminally responsible at the time of the offence.
“The Crown’s position will be that the accused has put his mental capacity for criminal intent into issue, as well as the fact that the accused has raised the issue of fitness, based primarily on his utterances in court,” she said.
In court Monday, the 48-year-old Raymond motioned to Dickson that he wished to speak again.
Wearing an orange jump suit and oversized grey sweatshirt, Raymond stood and addressed the court, saying he had tried to fire his lawyer, Nathan Gorham, four times and “now it’s going to be five times.”
“What happened in the past is something else, but right now I know what’s been going on,” he said.
Another defence lawyer, Spencer MacInnis, asked the court for a bit of time to prepare for the Crown’s application.
Dickson will hear the application next Monday for a psychological assessment that Blunston said will take 60 days.
The lawyers and family members of the victims refused comment as they left the courthouse.
Raymond is alleged to have fired from his apartment window with a long gun, killing two civilians as they loaded a car for a trip, and two police officers who responded to the scene.
Costello, 45, was a 20-year police veteran with four children, while Burns, 43, had been an officer for two years and was married with three children.
Robichaud, 42, had three children and had recently entered into a relationship with 32-year-old Wright when they were killed.
Last Monday, Raymond had interrupted his lawyer to address the judge.
“Your honour, may I interrupt? I have something really important to say, I have a statement to make,” Raymond said during that appearance.
“I should not have been in prison at all. I am not guilty due to at least temporary insanity. The evidence is all right there … it shows exactly what has happened. I am not guilty.”
Former friends and acquaintances of Raymond have offered varying memories of the accused murderer, ranging from a boy who retreated into video games, a pleasant supermarket co-worker and an increasingly isolated loner in recent years.
Some business owners have described Raymond as becoming reclusive and occasionally unpleasant in the year before the alleged shootings.
http://torontosun.com/news/national/fredericton-shooting-crown-asks-for-psychiatric-assessment