Finally - someone at the CBC Gets it!

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
As a kid my parents listened to the CBC all the time and I hated it.

Now, I find myself listening to some of their programs.

Their news is as biased as anything else anywhere else, but the programs are interesting at least.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Their news is as biased as anything else anywhere else, but the programs are interesting at least.
I grew up in a few places where your TV choices were either CBC or CBC French. That was it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Start earning today from $600 to $754 easily by working online from home. Last month I generated and received $15663 from this job by giving this only a maximum 2 hours a day of my life. Easiest job in the world and earning from this job is just awesome. Everybody can now get this job and start earning cash online right now by just following instructions, just open the web and visit..............➤ www.CanadianContent.net
Yeah, but jerking off on command whilst perverts watch'll drain ya pretty fast. Keep a good supply of little blue pills handy.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Shoulda streamed video on the internet.
The internet didn't exist back then and what passed for cable TV at the time didn't really make it to very many places up north. As such we got to watch such incredible shows like the 'Beachcombers' and 'King of Kensington. Or if you liked comedy there was the dry, tame humour of Wayne and Schuster. Frankly the only thing the CBC was good for was Hockey Night in Canada. Hell when we moved to Windsor I just about shit myself. We could get 8 TV channels, and sometimes 10 or 11 channels if the weather was good and cloud was light.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Funny, their programs are what I hate the most. So much left wing bias or just outright uninteresting. Somehow I really don't care about Aunt Martha's homemade jelly.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I grew up in Northern Alberta and we were likely one of the last people in town to get a T.V. - only because my uncle left it for us when he went further north to the "camps". We were pretty excited about it. CBC was the only channel we could get as well - I don't even think we got French CBC but I can't honestly remember.

Watched hockey (with my dad) and Bonanza, Red Skelton, the Forrest Rangers - they did have some good programs back then but we didn't really watch all that much - too much fun playing outside, especially in the summer and we were often at the homestead even further up north (High Level) where I learned how to drive - tractors, 1 - 3 ton trucks. The driving was fun too - I had to "scootch down" in order to push in the clutch to shift the various gears and people would see the truck going down the road with no driver for a bit - :LOL:. (ah, reminiscing but I digress).

Those were the good ol' days LOL

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I grew up in Northern Alberta and we were likely one of the last people in town to get a T.V. - only because my uncle left it for us when he went further north to the "camps". We were pretty excited about it. CBC was the only channel we could get as well - I don't even think we got French CBC but I can't honestly remember.

Watched hockey (with my dad) and Bonanza, Red Skelton, the Forrest Rangers - they did have some good programs back then but we didn't really watch all that much - too much fun playing outside, especially in the summer and we were often at the homestead even further up north (High Level) where I learned how to drive - tractors, 1 - 3 ton trucks. The driving was fun too - I had to "scootch down" in order to push in the clutch to shift the various gears and people would see the truck going down the road with no driver for a bit - :LOL:. (ah, reminiscing but I digress).

Digress as much as you like. I'm lovin' it!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I remember when the first TV sets came to stores in Regina. Us kids would stand outside and watch through the window absolutely amazed at what we were seeing. I was around 10 when we got our first black and white TV. My parents were pretty strict about when and what we could watch. CBC was the only channel we got and back then it was great. Hockey was a perennial favorite as my Dad was a Canadians fan. Like Dixie, my sisters and I didn't spend much time watching in the summer as there was so much to do on the farm. With only six daughters, my Dad made do with what he had and learning to operate equipment on the farm was a priority.
We also listened to CBC radio and my favorite program was This Country in the Morning with Peter Gzowski. Peter loved this country and his interviews with people from all parts of Canada including some of the most far flung parts, taught me more about its people then much of what I learned in school. I miss him to this day

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Funny, their programs are what I hate the most. So much left wing bias or just outright uninteresting. Somehow I really don't care about Aunt Martha's homemade jelly.

Must be the programming where you're at. Maritime Morning and Maritime Noon can be interesting, Quirks and Quarks, As it Happens; depends on the mood I'm in if I listen or not, or if there's a good subject.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I grew up in a few places where your TV choices were either CBC or CBC French. That was it.
I grew up in Regina (but later than Mowich) where we had three channels.

CBC, CBC French, & the one we actually watched (except for Disney at 6pm on Sundays on CBC).
1641343164842.jpeg
The ONE other Channel was 2 (CKCK).

Last edited: