Farewell, Sgt Ryan Russell

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
well I thought he was a soldier, and I thought the initial poster was a little over dramatic for someone that he didn't know.
Perhaps you should think before you speak and do you live under a rock???

Anyway my thoughts are with the family of Sgt Russell.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
no I just don't pay attention to certain news items that do not affect me what soever.

I probably read something, maybe not. but I didn't really remember anything about it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
We are lucky to live in a Country where our Officers killed in the line of duty are not statistics.

A wonderful outpouring of support for a fallen Canadian Police Officer.

Yes, it was a teriffic memorial service.

no I just don't pay attention to certain news items that do not affect me what soever.

I probably read something, maybe not. but I didn't really remember anything about it.

If you don't pay attention to certain news items, you have no business posting insulting comments in threads you know nothing about...

My apologies to the rest of the posters here...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Rest in peace, Sgt. Russell.:(

I will admit that I got a chill the first time I saw his picture as he looks quite similar to me.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
MANDEL: Sgt. Ryan Russell's killer seeks conditional discharge five years after deemed NCR
Michele Mandel
More from Michele Mandel
Published:
July 13, 2018
Updated:
July 13, 2018 8:29 PM EDT
Christine Russell, widow of Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell, speaks to media after the ORB hearing, regarding the possible conditional discharge of her husband's killer, Richard Kachkar, at the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health, in Whitby, on Friday, July 13, 2018. (Stan Behal/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
Just pick up your head and look her in the eye. And for God’s sake, just apologize.
It won’t make it right. It won’t heal her pain. But if Richard Kachkar is doing so well now, if he’s really remorseful and has insight into his “index offence” and is being fast tracked to a conditional discharge, then have the simple decency to at least look at the widow he created when he mowed down Sgt. Ryan Russell with that stolen snowplow in 2011.
Look at her and acknowledge what his illness has cost her innocent family.
Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell is seen with his wife Christine and their baby in a photo taken from Facebook on Wednesday, January 12, 2011.
But Kachkar does not. Just as he hasn’t at any of these annual hearings of the Ontario Review Board which has monitored him since he was found not criminally responsible in 2013.
Instead, the hearing was all about how well Kachkar is doing and why everyone agrees — from his psychiatrist at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences to his lawyer and even the Crown attorney — that while he still poses a danger to the public and can’t be given an absolute discharge yet, he should be given a conditional discharge.
He’s already been out of the hospital and living in the community in an approved apartment with daily support since April 2017. He’s also been allowed to visit his daughter in Hamilton on five occasions.
Richard Kachkar, shown in an undated Facebook photo, was found not criminally responsible in 2013 for killing Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell while driving a stolen snowplow.
Christine Russell called it a “joke.”
“It just confirms what I thought from the verdict — I thought five years and this guy will be free,” the widow said outside the hearing. “And sure enough this is how the system works. He’s just another notorious NCR killer out on the loose.”
In January 2011, Kachkar fled a homeless shelter in his bare feet, stole an idling plow and proceeded to go on a violent joyride through midtown Toronto, striking the young sergeant on Avenue Rd.
Acquitted of first-degree murder and found not criminally responsible (NCR) in 2013, he was initially detained at Ontario Shores in Whitby. He was gradually moved out of the secure forensic unit into minimum security and in 2016 was given unsupervised passes into the community.
Makeshift memorial for Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell on Avenue Rd., north of Davenport Rd., seen on Thursday, January 13, 2011. (Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun)
In 2017, Kachkar was released to supportive housing in Durham Region where he’s visited by a mental health worker five times a week.
His psychiatrist told the board Kachkar still suffers from an atypical chronic psychotic illness similar to schizophrenia with symptoms triggered by stress. He’s been symptom-free since the “index offence” — they never mention his killing Russell — and now understands that he must remain on his anti-psychotic medication and be wary of managing the stress in his life. Kachkar also understands that he’ll need psychiatric monitoring for life.
It was Russell’s widow who interrupted the happy progress report to inject some reality into the proceedings.
Even there, she was censored. Minutes before she was to deliver her victim impact statement, she was told most of it had to be cut because it went too far. “That’s the hardest part of being a victim in this system,” she explained. “You’re squashed time and time again, and he’s protected from hearing how I really feel and the things he’s done to me and my family.”
The funeral for slain Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on January 18, 2011. Thousand of police officers lined the streets and filed into the funeral service. Michael Peake/Toronto Sun)
But Russell was able to slip in some of what she had written.
Her voice trembling, she looked at Kachkar sitting at the conference table with his eyes cast down, as always.
“Richard,” Russell said, demanding his attention. “You killed my husband, Ryan Russell, 7 1/2 years ago, but it’s me getting the life sentence.
“I’m the one living without him. My son will never spend his life with his dad. Sitting here, hearing how you get to see your daughter, and I don’t get that. You took away my partner, my best friend, in the worst way possible.
“You took a father from a two-year-old boy. My son will never know his dad…This is so unfair.”
Christine Russell kisses son Nolan, 5, at the funeral of her husband, Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell during his funeral in Toronto on Tuesday, January 18, 2011. Nathan Denette/Pool Photo)
None of that matters to this process. It’s all incidental. Instead, the focus is always on Kachkar. “It’s all about how fast he can be pushed through the system and given the all-clear,” Russell says,
Yet no one will answer this one question, a question that was ordered stricken from her victim impact statement: “If he is so rehabilitated and so ready to be part of society again, ” she asks, “why is it impossible for him to apologize?”
The board has reserved its decision.
mmandel@postmedia.com
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...itional-discharge-five-years-after-deemed-ncr

• Sad
Reactions: Mowich

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
it would venture that he has been instructed not to apologize.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Richard Kachkar receives conditional discharge in death of Sgt. Ryan Russell
Sam Pazzano Courts Bureau
More from Sam Pazzano Courts Bureau
Published:
July 26, 2018
Updated:
July 26, 2018 8:01 AM EDT
Richard Kachkar, shown in an undated Facebook photo, was found not criminally responsible in 2013 for killing Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell while driving a stolen snowplow.
A man found not criminally responsible for crushing a Toronto police officer while driving a snowplow has received a conditional discharge.
Richard Kachkar, now 52, was ordered released with conditions by the Ontario Review Board.
Kachkar was found not criminally responsible and acquitted of first-degree murder in 2013 for killing Sgt. Ryan Russell with a stolen snow plow on Jan. 11, 2011.
Three psychiatrists agreed Kachkar could not be held responsible due to mental disorder when Kachkar fled a homeless shelter in his bare feet, stole an idling plow and took a violent joyride through Toronto’s snowy streets, striking the young sergeant on Avenue Rd.
“Obviously, our concerns haven’t changed and we still harbour fears about Kachkar re-offending,” said Toronto Police Association president Mike McCormack.
“If he’s not taking his drugs, we could see the same tragedy when he killed Ryan Russell. What assurances do we have that he won’t re-offend?”
The conditions of Kachkar’s discharge include reporting to a mental health facility every two weeks, not driving a vehicle and abstaining from drugs and alcohol. He must subject himself to random urine or breath tests to determine whether he’s ingesting alcohol, drugs or any intoxicants.
Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell is shown in an undated handout photo.
He has also been ordered not to possess any weapons.
People found not criminally responsible are subject to annual reviews where board members decided that while Kachkar isn’t ready for an unconditional release and remains a threat, he should get a conditional release.
Kachkar has already been out of the hospital and living in the community in an approved apartment with daily support since April 2017. He’s also visited his daughter in Hamilton on five occasions.
In 2013, he was initially detained at Ontario Shores in Whitby. He was moved out of the secure forensic unit into minimum security and in 2016 was given unsupervised passes into the community.
In 2017, Kachkar was released to supportive housing in Durham Region where he’s visited by a mental health worker five times a week.
spazzano@postmedia.com
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/co...ly-responsible-receives-conditional-discharge

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Widow takes aim at review board for freeing Toronto cop's killer
Sam Pazzano Courts Bureau
More from Sam Pazzano Courts Bureau
Published:
July 27, 2018
Updated:
July 27, 2018 8:27 AM EDT
The widow of slain Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell sharply criticized the Ontario Review Board after it released her husband’s killer with conditions this week.
Christine Russell said the review board has once again ignored her and her family after it ordered cop killer Richard Kachkar, now 52, released with slew of conditions.
Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell is shown in an undated handout photo.
In 2013, Kachkar was found not criminally responsible (NCR) and acquitted of first-degree murder in the Jan. 11, 2011 slaying of Russell, who was struck by a stolen snow plow that Kachkar drove in a reckless rampage through Toronto’s streets.
Richard Kachkar receives conditional discharge in death of Sgt. Ryan Russell
“Once again, the victim, Ryan Russell, and his family have been completely forgotten and shown utter disregard by the Ontario Review Board,” stated Christine Russell.
“This system fails my family every year and proves that NCR is an easy way for a murderer to get out of jail without consequence or a criminal record,” said Russell.
Christine Russell, widow of Toronto Police Sgt. Ryan Russell, speaks to media after the ORB hearing, regarding the possible conditional discharge of her husband’s killer, Richard Kachkar, at the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health, in Whitby, on Friday, July 13, 2018. (Stan Behal/Toronto Sun)
“When will the Canadian government step up and see what a farce this system is?”
Toronto Police Association president Mike McCormack echoed the widow’s concerns, saying he fears Kachkar still poses a threat if he doesn’t take his medication and could kill another innocent member of the public.
“What assurances do we have that he won’t re-offend? Our concerns haven’t changed and we still harbour fears about Kachkar re-offending,” said McCormack.
Three psychiatrists testified at Kachkar’s trial and all agreed that Kachkar could not be held criminally responsible due to a mental disorder when Kachkar bolted from a homeless shelter in his bare feet on a freezing day, stole an idling snow plow and took a violent joyride through Toronto’s snowy streets and striking the young sergeant on Avenue Rd.
The conditions of Kachkar’s release include reporting to a mental health facility every two weeks, not driving a vehicle and abstaining from alcohol and drugs. He must subject himself to random urine or breath tests to ensure he’s not ingesting intoxicants or alcohol.
He’s also banned from possessing any weapons.
spazzano@postmedia.com
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/sl...-review-board-for-freeing-her-husbands-killer

• Sad

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Banned from having any weapons? That's a joke isn't it? If he really wants to get one, he will. Just sayin'

Hard for anyone to heal when they've been hurt and the system fails to acknowledge that grief. I really feel for the widow because she's been shown what a nightmare really is courtesy of our justice system.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
I have my doubts he will not get nailed eventually on the drug and alcohol tests.

fears Kachkar still poses a threat if he doesn’t take his medication and could kill another innocent member of the public.

I have a REAL problem with that statement and all it exemplifies. Look at all the MASS killers that were EITHER ON or WITHDRAWING form those NASTY drugs...DAMN NEAR EVERYONE OF THEM.

That is the EXPENSIVE system that is a fail. But hey guess what? You won't hear squat about that because that is where all your government officials have their pensions invested..and those companies buy up about 60 percent of the ad spaces in the MSM.

Last edited: