Epic Anti-Global Warming Monologue

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think it's really cute that there are no antroprogenic sources of water vapour and only CO2 can increase it by raising atmospheric temps.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I think it's really cute that there are no antroprogenic sources of water vapour and only CO2 can increase it by raising atmospheric temps.

Hey, you can finally play the skeptic for once.

Why don't you do your homework and find out the other varying causes and their degree of influence?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
He has made his position on this issue quite clear.
Yeah, Bear's pretty good about that. And sometimes adds some good humor along with it, too.

What you provide is the train of logic that you accept and denounce all other forms that have a contrary message... Hardly objective
Yep. Loads of that nonsense on all sides.

Every position has been discredited by detractors and simultaneously supported by proponents.
I wouldn't have said "discredited", I would have said "criticised and supported".
In the end, what we do have is a geologic record that highlights multiple episodes of extreme climatic swings long before the presence of an anthropogenic inputs...
Yes, it has, and quite a lot of information has come from ice cores, as well. What it seems to show is that it is a relatively delicate balance of warming surges alternating with cooling surges. The problem this time is that it appears this particular warming period has been extended longer than the previous ones even if it hasn't been the hottest one. And the data suggests it is an upset in the balance caused by a higher saturation of the atmosphere by compounds such as methane, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, CFCs, low-level ozone, et al, and as the temperature warms, water vapor (which is a feedback rather than a forcing). It may not be much in quantity, but it does not take much to upset a balance sometimes.
That said, does humanity contribute to climate change in some form - sure we do, but in the scope of this issue, it's akin to sounding the alarm that the Atlantic ocean is drying up because I removed a tablespoon of water.
I agree there's a whack of exaggeration done by both sides.

In the end, the record is clear in that humanity or not, the climate will still swing on it's heel regardless of all of the arm-flapping that goes on.
Well, certainly. It has to because that's the nature of the cycle. But in the meantime, we have to learn to adapt to the warming and see if we can figure out how not to impact the balance like we have been doing.

Consensus? - Only at the 'true believers' meetings held in Cancun annually
Yeah, consensus does not mean much. We used to have a consensus that said the universe revolved around Earth, too.

Planet warming faster than any other time? - Here's a thought; how long have we had real records kept and how does that time frame compare to geologic time... Sorry, but that is a specious argument at best.
As far as I can tell, we can fairly accurately date back to at least 800,000 years through geologic data and data from ice cores, and somewhat less data from years before that.

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2011/20110118_MilankovicPaper.pdf

http://www.lakepowell.net/sciencecenter/paleoclimate.htm

Man is responsible?
partially.
- Who/what was responsible for the multiple episodes over the millenia?
There are quite a few; GHGs emitted naturally and now from human activities, fluctuations in solar irradiance, etc.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yesterday we had no water vapour from irrigation only CO2 driven increases. Today we do. Who failed?

IPCC says that irrigation has indeed increased water vapour by 1%. Considering H2O factors in far heavier than CO2 as GHG, what percentage of warming is that 1% directly responsible for?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That says exactly what Ton was saying and you don't comprehend what even the abstract says. Simply put, as warming rises, it causes more airborn vapor. It is not an initiating cause of warming. It is only a contributor subesequent to it. That is called a feedback. If the planet wasn't warming the atmosphere simply wouldn't accept as much water vapor.Either way, you are simply adding to the fact that humans have impacted climate change.
lol Go back to digging in the dirt and planting wheat. You don't seem to have the capacity to comprehend much in this issue and what makes it worse is your donkeylike stubborness in not accepting simple scientific principles.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Just out of curiousity...

What would pumping water onto the desert do over all, with regards to the climate?

Ton?

LG?

Pete?

Fuzzy?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That says exactly what Ton was saying and you don't comprehend what even the abstract says. Simply put, as warming rises, it causes more airborn vapor. It is not an initiating cause of warming. It is only a contributor subesequent to it. That is called a feedback.

As I said before, I tried to explain this to him multiple times.

His inner skeptic must be having some trouble accepting the truth.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm ignoring water vapour being a heavy hitter on the grand scheme of global warming?

Noooooo that would be the IPCC.who are ignoring the 1% increase in water vapour from irrigation alone.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm lieing am I?

Yes. Nobody ever said irrigation won't produce water vapour you prat. There was contention about it's impact, and contention about your reversal of causal structures in relationships well known.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How much cash should we ding consumers who eat irrigated foods to reverse the 1% water vapour increase??

How about you first establish the quantification of irrigated foods effects on atmospheric water vapour. We can talk about the costs after that.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
How about you first establish the quantification of irrigated foods effects on atmospheric water vapour. We can talk about the costs after that.

But Tonnington, what does the 1% of fish steaming the water vapour causing global warming mean to the future of the universe?