Elizabeth May wins Green Party of Canada leadership, set to co-lead with Jonathan Pedneault

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

Elizabeth May will once more lead the Green Party of Canada, along with Jonathan Pedneault, after her victory in the party's leadership race Saturday.

May and Pedneault have promised to helm the party under a co-leadership model, which will require an amendment to the party's constitution. For now, Pedneault will serve as deputy leader.
That party fell apart so fast that people got hit by the shrapnel. It's a bunch of leftie kooks, and basically without lizzie it's nothing. It's pretty sad actually, she spent 20 some odd years trying to get that party off the ground and make it relevant and these guys managed to let it fall apart in 20 seconds. Now she's got to cancel her retirement and her world wide donut factory/wine tasting tour and do this crap again.
"It's difficult to put into words what it means to take the stage as the next leader of the Green Party of Canada," May said.
I'm pretty sure I can help you out there Lizzie. I'm pretty sure it would sound something like this:

SERIOUSLY!?!?! YOU PEICES OF $*#^ COULDN'T HOLD YOUR $#&( TOGETHER FOR 1 LOUSY LEADER WITHOUT $&#(&#( FALLING APART LIKE A BUNCH OF &$#(&*#$ UP *&(#$*&) SMELLING &$#($&#($ &#(& #$*&$(#*& AND #$*&#($*&( WITH YOUR $&#$( STRAIGHT UP YOUR $#&*(#$&*#$(b YOU *$&($# &#$(*$#&, YOU CAN GO #$(*&#$B YOUR *$&#($&#( AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!!! JEZUZ CHRIST - PASS ME THE CHARDONNAY!!!!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not that this will happen, but if they win, will there be co-Prime Minister's? Also, with the divisions in the party, having 2 distinct people in charge may make things worse.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Everyone's favourite political idiot has collapsed under the weight of her stupidity

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May hospitalized for 'overwork, fatigue and stress,' husband says​

Husband blames 'idiotic' House of Commons schedule for Green leader's illness​

John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Jul 10, 2023 12:18 PM PDT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
Green Party co-Leader Elizabeth May is seen praying.

Green Party co-leader Elizabeth May prays as she takes part in the National Prayer Breakfast in Ottawa on Tuesday, May 30, 2023. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May was hospitalized last week for fatigue owing to the "idiotic" schedule MPs kept in the dying days of Parliament, her husband said in a note to constituents.

John Kidder said his spouse was "undone" by a punishing workload and spent a few days "under observation" at a hospital in her Vancouver Island riding before being discharged Saturday to recuperate at home.

May, 69, will be off her feet for another week before resuming some of her usual summer duties, Kidder said.

Kidder, who is himself a founding member of the Green Party in British Columbia, blamed May's hospitalization on marathon voting sessions — which had MPs in the House of Commons until midnight some days in June — combined with her constituency duties and her role as Green Party co-leader.

"Does it not seem odd to you that we expect our parliamentarians to work double shifts through May and June, sometimes nineteen-hour days, to sit until midnight almost every day, to keep up with their always demanding constituency work, and still to have minds at all?" Kidder said.

Government House Leader Mark Holland extended the Commons sitting times to clear the legislative decks and pass some key government bills before a three-month summer recess.

Among the bills enacted were C-47, the budget bill, and C-18, legislation that forces tech giants like Facebook and Google to pay news outlets for posting their journalism on their platforms.

The opposition Conservatives tried to stall some bills but the government, with the support of the NDP, introduced a parliamentary manoeuvre called "time allocation" on several occasions to shut down debate and move bills to votes.
Kidder said that in any "decent union job," grievances would be "flying thick and fast" if workers had to deal with what MPs like May endure.

He said it's acknowledged that, in other professions, people "cannot do their best work when they're over-tired," and yet MPs are expected to handle "routine sixteen-hour days in and out of Parliament, constant travel, instant responses to matters of urgency from constituents and the press, to be available for any and all local matters."

He said May recently attended nine high school graduation ceremonies that lasted hours and Toronto's Pride parade, all while carrying out "the additional multiple-pronged job as leader of the Green Party of Canada, itself nearly regular full-time work for any reasonable mortal."
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May is seen walking in Toronto's Pride parade.

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May walks in the Toronto Pride Parade on Sunday, June 25, 2023. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)

"The summer festivities have been cut down because of the idiotic schedule in the spring, that itself because (my opinion) Parliament spends so much time in idiot bickering that actual legislation always takes longer than expected, and always backs up into the late spring. Predictable, just like climate change," Kidder said.

In response to claims that parliamentarians are overworked, MPs voted recently to permanently extend a COVID-era hybrid policy that allows for virtual attendance and voting.

Kidder also told constituents that May got "a close-up and very personal look" at "troubling elements" of Canada's "vaunted health-care system."

He said they both lack a family doctor and struggled to get May seen by a professional when she fell ill. He said public health care is "a messed-up system" staffed by "wonderful people" who endure workloads like May's with "even more personal stress."

After stepping down from the party's leadership in 2019, May returned to lead the party last year after a disastrous result for the Greens in the 2021 federal election.

The party nearly came apart at the seams due to party infighting during Annamie Paul's fractious time as leader. Paul compared her time at the helm to crawling over broken glass — a painful experience she described as the worst of her life.

Quebec human rights advocate Jonathan Pedneault is the party's co-leader.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Everyone's favourite political idiot has collapsed under the weight of her stupidity

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May hospitalized for 'overwork, fatigue and stress,' husband says​

Husband blames 'idiotic' House of Commons schedule for Green leader's illness​

John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Jul 10, 2023 12:18 PM PDT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
Green Party co-Leader Elizabeth May is seen praying.

Green Party co-leader Elizabeth May prays as she takes part in the National Prayer Breakfast in Ottawa on Tuesday, May 30, 2023. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May was hospitalized last week for fatigue owing to the "idiotic" schedule MPs kept in the dying days of Parliament, her husband said in a note to constituents.

John Kidder said his spouse was "undone" by a punishing workload and spent a few days "under observation" at a hospital in her Vancouver Island riding before being discharged Saturday to recuperate at home.

May, 69, will be off her feet for another week before resuming some of her usual summer duties, Kidder said.

Kidder, who is himself a founding member of the Green Party in British Columbia, blamed May's hospitalization on marathon voting sessions — which had MPs in the House of Commons until midnight some days in June — combined with her constituency duties and her role as Green Party co-leader.

"Does it not seem odd to you that we expect our parliamentarians to work double shifts through May and June, sometimes nineteen-hour days, to sit until midnight almost every day, to keep up with their always demanding constituency work, and still to have minds at all?" Kidder said.

Government House Leader Mark Holland extended the Commons sitting times to clear the legislative decks and pass some key government bills before a three-month summer recess.

Among the bills enacted were C-47, the budget bill, and C-18, legislation that forces tech giants like Facebook and Google to pay news outlets for posting their journalism on their platforms.

The opposition Conservatives tried to stall some bills but the government, with the support of the NDP, introduced a parliamentary manoeuvre called "time allocation" on several occasions to shut down debate and move bills to votes.
Kidder said that in any "decent union job," grievances would be "flying thick and fast" if workers had to deal with what MPs like May endure.

He said it's acknowledged that, in other professions, people "cannot do their best work when they're over-tired," and yet MPs are expected to handle "routine sixteen-hour days in and out of Parliament, constant travel, instant responses to matters of urgency from constituents and the press, to be available for any and all local matters."

He said May recently attended nine high school graduation ceremonies that lasted hours and Toronto's Pride parade, all while carrying out "the additional multiple-pronged job as leader of the Green Party of Canada, itself nearly regular full-time work for any reasonable mortal."
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May is seen walking in Toronto's Pride parade.'s Pride parade.

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May walks in the Toronto Pride Parade on Sunday, June 25, 2023. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)

"The summer festivities have been cut down because of the idiotic schedule in the spring, that itself because (my opinion) Parliament spends so much time in idiot bickering that actual legislation always takes longer than expected, and always backs up into the late spring. Predictable, just like climate change," Kidder said.

In response to claims that parliamentarians are overworked, MPs voted recently to permanently extend a COVID-era hybrid policy that allows for virtual attendance and voting.

Kidder also told constituents that May got "a close-up and very personal look" at "troubling elements" of Canada's "vaunted health-care system."

He said they both lack a family doctor and struggled to get May seen by a professional when she fell ill. He said public health care is "a messed-up system" staffed by "wonderful people" who endure workloads like May's with "even more personal stress."

After stepping down from the party's leadership in 2019, May returned to lead the party last year after a disastrous result for the Greens in the 2021 federal election.

The party nearly came apart at the seams due to party infighting during Annamie Paul's fractious time as leader. Paul compared her time at the helm to crawling over broken glass — a painful experience she described as the worst of her life.

Quebec human rights advocate Jonathan Pedneault is the party's co-leader.
Nope it can’t be just getting old , not at all .

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea

Elizabeth May says a stroke, not fatigue, led to recent hospital stay​

IAN BAILEY
OTTAWA
PUBLISHED YESTERDAYUPDATED 1 HOUR AGO
Open this photo in gallery:
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May addresses candidates and supporters during a rally in Vancouver, Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019.THE CANADIAN PRESS

Green Party of Canada Leader Elizabeth May says the health issue that sidelined her over the last week turned out to be a stroke.
However, she has suffered no lingering neurological effects and looks forward to returning to her work as party leader and British Columbia MP after a rest, she said in an interview Thursday.
“It’s best described as a miraculous near miss,” Ms. May, 69, said from her home in the riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands, where she has been the MP since 2011.
“I am not alarmed about my own situation because I had incredibly good luck in that there was an event, but it had no impact. It doesn’t affect brain functioning or speech or motor control or anything.”
She said she does not have a long road of recovery ahead: “I am just resting. I don’t have to overcome any symptoms of having had an event. There are none.”
Ms. May, speaking after she said she had received a get-well call from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, said that her doctor has told her she suffered bleeding into the tissues of her brain, otherwise known as a hemorrhagic stroke.
At the end of June, Ms. May was at a high-school graduation event, presenting a scholarship award, when she was hit by what she described as a “blindingly painful headache” unlike anything she had previously ever experienced.

It led her to seek medical assistance, and to being hospitalized for two-and-a-half days on Vancouver Island. She said her specific diagnosis is unlike any health challenge she has ever faced.
“I’ve never had a bad headache. I’ve never had high blood pressure.”
Ms. May had her first stint as Green Party Leader from 2006 to 2019. She regained the role last fall, with Jonathan Pedneault of Quebec serving as deputy leader.
“We’re focusing on party business. Elizabeth is resting. That’s all I have to say,” Mr. Pedneault said Thursday, declining to comment in further detail.
Ms. May said she does not think her health issues will affect her leadership of the party.
“I think it’s unlikely that there are very many people who want to seize on somebody having a health issue which is under control, and the prognosis fantastic, and think it means anything about that person’s political career. It really doesn’t.”
Were her medical situation to affect her ability to carry on with her leadership responsibilities, Ms. May said that Mr. Pedneault would “absolutely” be ready to carry on.
Ms. May is one of only two Green Party MPs in the House of Commons, alongside Mike Morrice of Kitchener Centre.
In newsletter remarks to the Green leader’s constituents, Ms. May’s husband, John Kidder, had expressed concerns that the heavy workload facing MPs in the final days of Parliament’s sitting before the current summer break had an impact on her health.
Asked if her workload could have affected her health, Ms. May said, “Probably, but I haven’t asked my doctor that.”
She said her last day off before her illness was May 26, and that she, alongside other MPs, experienced a long string of 19-hour days in Parliament with sittings until midnight.
“I am not one who complains. I do the work. I don’t shirk. But I recognize that this isn’t healthy for people,” she said, adding that late sittings in Parliament are not in aid of a better functioning democracy for Canadians.