Eclipseses are against a religion

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
  1. 20 March 2015 at 12:16pm
Pupils 'banned from watching solar eclipse' for cultural and religious reasons

Simon Harris ITV London Senior Correspondent

A headmaster has admitted primary school children were banned from watching the eclipse for 'cultural and religious' reasons.

Credit: PA Council officials demanded an explanation from the head of the school in a multi-cultural suburb of west London.

North Primary School, Southall Credit: ITV News Phil Belman, the father of a seven-year-old girl at North Primary School in Southall, rang the headteacher to express his anger.

Phil Belman Credit: ITV News
My daughter was sent home yesterday to make a pinhole camera for the eclipse.
This morning I heard for religious and cultural reasons the kids were going to be banned from any part in the eclipse.
I was put through to him straight away and he confirmed it, religious and cultural reasons. I said that was totally outrageous. I asked him to elaborate and he refused.
It's just going back to the dark ages really.
– Phil Belman, Parent

Credit: Reuters Ealing Council confirmed the pupils were not allowed out of their classrooms but said they were able to see the eclipse on TV screens.
The headmaster, Ivor Johnstone, issued a statement saying he was sorry for any disappointment.
The school made this decision when we became aware of religious and cultural concerns associated with observing an eclipse directly.
Although we are sorry for any disappointment, pupils were still able to watch the eclipse on screens in classrooms.
However, the overcast conditions in West London today meant they would not have been able to see it live in any case.
– Ivor Johnstone, Headteacher North Primary School

Last updated Fri 20 Mar 2015

Is this what 'free' people should expect from freedom of religion?

It may be cliche but "Thin edge of the wedge" does come to mind.

source

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The school made this decision when we became aware of religious and cultural concerns associated with observing an eclipse directly.

?

I don't get it

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's rather amazing. The more scientifically advanced we become, the more some elements of society turn their back on science. Whether it's the supernatural, naturopathic medicine or understanding the environment and our place in it, people choose to believe what they want to believe...and it's ok to make fun of religious people you don't agree with but anybody that disagrees with your religion is insensitive at best and an ******* at worst.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I guess it has something to do with Stonehenge sun cults and Druid mysticism, ca. Neolithic Britain.. North Primary School seems a little behind the times... although who knows.. maybe its coming back.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I guess it has something to do with Stonehenge sun cults and Druid mysticism, ca. Neolithic Britain.. North Primary School seems a little behind the times... although who knows.. maybe its coming back.
Catholicism is a Sun cult and if you knew anything about the origins of your religion, you would know that. But it is so much easier to just let the church tell you what to think and believe.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Catholicism is a Sun cult and if you knew anything about the origins of your religion, you would know that. But it is so much easier to just let the church tell you what to think and believe.

Of course, how could I have been so wrong all these years. Coldstream, have your eyes been opened like mine? Has the almighty cliffy shown you the path?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Neither do I, Sal. The kids can't see it with their own eyes but it's a-okay to watch it on TV???
if this is offensive to a religion why can it not be revealed?

this is where things get shady for me because if that were my kid in that particular school, do I not as a parent have a right to know who is influencing the curriculum? I believe I do. I would be down the throat of that school board and requesting a meeting of the trustees now

there are many people in this forum who are anti separate school

the kind of response that happened at this public school would not happen in a Catholic Separate school and this is precisely why as a non Christian my kid would still be going to the Catholic Separate school.

no Cliffy, this would never happen in the separate school system...never...see my other post

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Interesting stuff here, for one thing the school board is pandering to religion again.
That is why religion should be removed from government institutions because it is
being used as to dictate the public agenda.
As for why people are turning on science there are a host of reasons starting with the
global warming, the non transparency in vaccinations (I agree children should be vaccinated)
and other findings. Scientists are marching to the orders of governments and or private
companies like Monsanto. Companies many have no confidence in.
The question about scientists is this Who's Science?
Then there is the religious crowd who are equally nuts in many cases.
It spills over into everything from food to abortion and the internet allows for additional whack
jobs to spout about the visions they have.
There is a basic loss of confidence in the the societal high Archy
Eclipses are against religion the tinfoil hat crowd has been let out before nightfall again

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
North Primary School - Home

Solar eclipse: schoolchildren banned from watching on 'religious and cultural' grounds - Telegraph

From the article...

"Sometimes known as Little India, Southall is a diverse community in west London with a large Hindi population.

Although headteacher Ivor Johnstone would not comment on what the ‘religious and cultural’ reasons were, some Hindu scriptures say that an eclipse makes believers impure.

And fundamentalists believe that they need to bathe immediately after an eclipse and chant the name of God to overcome the forces of darkness."

And also from the article...

“I am outraged - is it going to be Darwin next? We will be like mid America.”

No azzhole... It is happening right now and where you are and that is England.