Driverless Cars: Pro or Con?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Personally I think technology is going too far.

Technology has given us many benefits and done a lot of good things but like everything else that starts out beneficial, it has gone much too far.

Regarding driverless cars; Multitudes of people drive for a living. What will they do when they are no longer needed? There is already a scarcity of jobs. This new technology will do away with tens of thousands of 'driving' jobs.
I also think that most drivers of private vehicles like the feeling of control, power and speed they get from driving. Therefore will not rush to buy driverless cars.

Much of the new technology is designed for instant gains, namely to save money for employers. There is no thought given to the future impact of technological creations on society.

The impact of future unemployment on society will be devastating. 'Idle minds breed mischief' and 'idle hands are the devil's tools' are two very true statements. Rise in crime, rise in mental illness are two of the results that could be predicted for the future.

There is also the economic impact. When unemployment increases somehow the unemployed will have to be compensated and provided with a means of living. Who's going to pay for that?
If technology keeps advancing at the present rate eventually the only people employed will be the ones creating and maintaining the equipment. Not a very large percentage of the population to support the country and its people.

What do you think?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
maybe pro, if robots ( and anti-trumpet bots ) don't make union wages...

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Ugh.. i want a v8, rwd, manual transmission.. with no drivers aids like abs, traction control, electronic performance modes.. 400hp.. and with the catalytic converter removed.. AND i'll bet i'd be a lot safer and environmentally responsible than in a Tesla Electric with driver-less technology.. which are driven exclusively by nerds.. who are a clear and present danger to themselves and others on the road.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
When I bought my F150, it came with traction control. I had never owned a vehicle with this feature before. I was leaving work and there was 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground. It was crusted over, after a short period of freezing rain. I got stuck and couldn't move. :lol:

When I accelerated, my rear wheel(s) began slipping and the computer cut back on the gas. The more I attempted to accelerate, the more the computer countered my effort.

After ten minutes of embarrassment, a guy knocked on the window and told me to turn off the traction control. It was a button on the dash somewhere, he said. I found it, killed the TC and drove out of the parking lot. :???:

Technology like this is great when you're moving on a road. It prevents inadvertent slipping, and prevents your vehicle from fishtailing or sliding off the paved surface (I suppose). It can also prevent you from using defensive driving techniques however. An over-dependence on tech is, IMV, not always a good thing. Drivers should learn basic avoidance and control methods, using brakes, the gas pedal and steering, rather than being wholly dependent on tech.

I'm glad the button is there to deactivate the TC. I have to turn it off in the winter in order to leave my laneway. The question is, how much longer are they going to provide a switch? One day, I suspect disabling it will be impossible.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sure, as long as they run on existing rails. Right track for traffic in one direction and the other rail for going the other way. Make it bank itself in turns and starting and stopping so the 'glass of water' doesn't fall over. There should be some way for the ones on two wheels to pass as they are for speed rather than comfort. Best on the rails that run beside the interstate as they scoot along at 300KPH per hour and the rider is the that decides how far over the bike leans in the corners and that determines the speed.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
No, but probably not due to any driving skills!:) :)

Hey Sleepy- I'm not sure that having this guy flashed in our face enhances the thread! :) :) :)
This is waaay more productive.....
Since any dialogue with him is a complete waste of any one's time....
When more people realize that...........?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
When I bought my F150, it came with traction control. I had never owned a vehicle with this feature before. I was leaving work and there was 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground. It was crusted over, after a short period of freezing rain. I got stuck and couldn't move. :lol:

When I accelerated, my rear wheel(s) began slipping and the computer cut back on the gas. The more I attempted to accelerate, the more the computer countered my effort.

After ten minutes of embarrassment, a guy knocked on the window and told me to turn off the traction control. It was a button on the dash somewhere, he said. I found it, killed the TC and drove out of the parking lot. :???:

Technology like this is great when you're moving on a road. It prevents inadvertent slipping, and prevents your vehicle from fishtailing or sliding off the paved surface (I suppose). It can also prevent you from using defensive driving techniques however. An over-dependence on tech is, IMV, not always a good thing. Drivers should learn basic avoidance and control methods, using brakes, the gas pedal and steering, rather than being wholly dependent on tech.

I'm glad the button is there to deactivate the TC. I have to turn it off in the winter in order to leave my laneway. The question is, how much longer are they going to provide a switch? One day, I suspect disabling it will be impossible.

Perhaps add another few lines of code so the computer turns it off when you are on a roads that needs all the traction it can get..

Out of curiosity how fast does an suv go when it is in low range? Considering the advantages of being in that range that should be the 'norm' for city driving just because it save wear on the brakes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is waaay more productive.....
Since any dialogue with him is a complete waste of any one's time....
When more people realize that...........?

He is what he is, Sleepy and most people recognize it, but it doesn't hurt to "needle" him once in awhile...............if we have to put up with him we may as well enjoy a little fun. :) :)