Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
LILLEY: Trump must be jealous of Teflon Trudeau
Brian Lilley
Published:
October 31, 2019
Updated:
October 31, 2019 8:39 PM EDT
U.S. President Donald Trump, left, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hold a bilateral meeting during the G7 summit in Biarritz, France, August 25, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
As the House of Representatives in Washington voted 232 to 196 to move forward on the impeachment process, I can only imagine that Donald Trump was thinking of his friend to the north, “Justin from Canada.”
Trump must wish that he had the power to shut down investigations, to fire those that stood in his way with impunity and even to block the police from doing a proper investigation. For all those Canadians looking smugly at what is happening south of the border, it’s worth remembering that our own leader has his own problems.
In fact, if Trudeau were dealing with an American style system, he’d probably be on his way out the door. Now that he has moved from a majority government to a minority, Trudeau may still face some problems but not to the extent that Trump is even though objectively, Trudeau is guilty of far worse than Trump.
After the 2016 Presidential election there were claims of Russian interference and collusion between Russian agents and the Trump campaign. Despite spending nearly two years and tens of millions of dollars, and having the full resources of the Justice Department behind him, Special Counsel Robert Mueller couldn’t prove Trump guilty of anything.
He didn’t even recommend any action and Democrats didn’t move to impeach.
In fact, Democrats only moved to impeach when Trump allegedly used a phone call with the leader of Ukraine to go after Joe Biden. Essentially to the Democrats, Trump could do what he wanted as long as he didn’t attack one of their own.
Now they are going to try to remove him from office over a phone call where they say he tried to get benefit for his own personal re-election from a foreign leader.
Let’s compare that to our own newly re-elected PM.
Trudeau, and those in his office, repeatedly interfered in a criminal prosecution of a Canadian company on bribery and corruption charges and part of the reason was his own re-election.
‘I am an MP in Quebec — the member for Papineau,’” Trudeau said to then attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould. Trudeau was asking that Wilson-Raybould to step in and stop the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin because Trudeau was worried about the loss of jobs in his riding.
He worried that if SNC started shedding jobs in Montreal that it would hurt his own re-election chances. That is what the Americans might call a quid-pro-quo.
He wanted SNC protected so that they would keep jobs in Montreal and he could stay the PM and an MP.
“We can have the best policy in the world, but we need to be re-elected,” Trudeau advisor Mathieu Bouchard said at the time hinting that if SNC didn’t get the deal they wanted the Liberals would have trouble at the ballot box.
Of course when Wilson-Raybould wouldn’t do what Trudeau and his advisors wanted she was fired from the position of attorney general.
If only Trump could fire his attorney general without any issue the way Trudeau could.
When the Justice Committee of the House of Commons tried to look into SNC-Lavalin, Trudeau shut it down. When the Ethics Committee tried to do the same, Trudeau’s Liberal MPs voted to stop it.
Even when the RCMP and the Ethics Commissioner tried to investigate and gain access to key witnesses and documents, Trudeau blocked them by refusing to waive privilege and allow access.
LILLEY: Trudeau's election win came with an assist from Big Labour
LILLEY: New home warranty paid the execs, screwed the homeowners
LILLEY: Move to shut some Ontario agencies, streamline services overdue
These are the powers that Trump could only dream of having.
Objectively when it comes to SNC-Lavalin, Justin Trudeau has committed far more grievous sins than Trump has because we have actual proof.
Yet Trudeau remains in power with the support of 33% of the population and levers of power that any American president can only dream of.
http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trump-must-be-jealous-of-teflon-trudeau
Too true .

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BYE BYE NYC: Trump making Florida his permanent home
Reuters
Published:
October 31, 2019
Updated:
October 31, 2019 11:00 PM EDT
U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during the Medal of Honor ceremony for Army Master Sgt. Matthew Williams in the East Room of the White House October 30, 2019 in Washington, DC. Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images
WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he will be making Palm Beach, Florida, his permanent residence instead of his Trump Tower apartment in New York City.
Trump has owned the Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach since 1985 and has spent more time there during his presidency than at his penthouse apartment on Fifth Avenue in New York.
“My family and I will be making Palm Beach, Florida, our Permanent Residence,” Trump said on Twitter.
“Despite the fact that I pay millions of dollars in city, state and local taxes each year, I have been treated very badly by the political leaders of both the city and state,” he said, referring to New York.
A life-long New Yorker, Trump was raised in the city’s Queens borough and later moved to Manhattan. Trump Tower serves as both his residence and the headquarters of the Trump Organization, his real estate company.
“As President, I will always be there to help New York and the great people of New York. It will always have a special place in my heart!” Trump said.
Trump, a Republican, has feuded with New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York state Governor Andrew Cuomo, both Democrats.
“Good riddance. It’s not like @realDonaldTrump paid taxes here anyway. He’s all yours, Florida,” Cuomo said in a tweet.
De Blasio said on Twitter: “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out or whatever.”
Trump filed to change his primary residence in late September in Palm Beach County Circuit Court, the New York Times reported.
Trump is running for re-election in November 2020 and, if he wins, would make the White House his home until January 2025.
http://torontosun.com/news/world/bye-bye-nyc-trump-making-florida-his-permanent-home

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
Well, yeah. What did you expect from Cadet Bone Spurs? You expected him to stay in NY and fight battles? haha
Run, fat, orange man, run away from those meanies that treat you so badly. lol
As Mattis said, "I won my spurs on the battlefield, he won his from a doctor".

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well, yeah. What did you expect from Cadet Bone Spurs? You expected him to stay in NY and fight battles? haha
Run, fat, orange man, run away from those meanies that treat you so badly. lol
As Mattis said, "I won my spurs on the battlefield, he won his from a doctor".
And as I always say , he beat the best and the brightest candidate the democrats could produce and low and behold , became President of the United States of America . Isn’t democracy a wonderful thing ?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And as I always say , he beat the best and the brightest candidate the democrats could produce and low and behold , became President of the United States of America . Isn’t democracy a wonderful thing ?

He's certainly brought out the sour grapes!

AnnaEmber

Council Member
Aug 31, 2019
Kootenays BC
Democracy? In America? hahahahaha True democracy would have been if Clinton's votes would have mattered (she thumped Trump by about 3 million votes, remember, so the Trumplicans had to rig the EC). Trump even flaunts his orange a$$ at rule of law so America isn't even a republic now.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Democracy? In America? hahahahaha True democracy would have been if Clinton's votes would have mattered (she thumped Trump by about 3 million votes, remember, so the Trumplicans had to rig the EC). Trump even flaunts his orange a$$ at rule of law so America isn't even a republic now.
So should Sheer be PM of Canada ? He got the most votes .

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Prog shit. The EC was rigged by the founding fathers in 1789.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Carly Simon: Donald Trump was 'all over me like an ugly ape'
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Published:
October 31, 2019
Updated:
October 31, 2019 12:58 PM EDT
Singer-songwriter Carly Simon attends the 2016 Pre-GRAMMY Gala and Salute to Industry Icons honouring Irving Azoff at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on Feb. 14, 2016 in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Larry Busacca/Getty Images for NARAS)
Carly Simon once turned down an invite from U.S. President Donald Trump to visit his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida, because she “thought he was kind of repulsive.”
In an interview with Britain’s The Guardian newspaper published Thursday, the singer-songwriter recalled meeting Trump during a luncheon in New York for the late Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, who was assassinated in 2007.
During the chat, the singer revealed Trump paid her no attention until she spent time in Bhutto’s bedroom talking with the leader about her music.
“When I went out of the bedroom, obviously I had all of a sudden become important through the eyes of Donald Trump,” she told the publication, adding the businessman-turned-politician then became “very anxious to meet me” and was “all over me like an ugly ape.”
He then offered the Nobody Does it Better singer an invitation to his famed hotel resort, which Simon declined because she “thought he was kind of repulsive.”
Elsewhere in the interview, the 74-year-old also discussed reworking her 1972 hit song, You’re So Vain, into an anti-Trump anthem ahead of the 2016 election, which she agreed seemed apt for the controversial POTUS.
“He is so vain, that’s for sure, and not in the best possible way,” she continued. “He doesn’t bring humour to the word. In the song, hopefully, the person could wink at himself in the mirror because he got the joke.”
http://theguardian.com/music/2019/o...nald-trump-i-thought-he-was-kind-of-repulsive
http://torontosun.com/entertainment...donald-trump-was-all-over-me-like-an-ugly-ape

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Harmless? Yeah, the Kurds are sure amused.
So are American farmers suffering from his tariff wars.

At least he came up with a compensation package for his farmers and came through in the end with phase 1, unlike our supreme leader that left our farmers to fend for themselves after China and Saudi Arabia hit our farmers with grain bans, over a Freeland tweet.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
At least he came up with a compensation package for his farmers and came through in the end with phase 1, unlike our supreme leader that left our farmers to fend for themselves after China and Saudi Arabia hit our farmers with grain bans, over a Freeland tweet.
Only because those farmers don't have Quebec mailing address