Discussion of Ukraine War

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm setting up this thread as an alternative for discussion of, rather than posting stuff about, the Ukraine war.

Let's see if it works. If you wanna support something you're saying, please just give a link those interested can click on.

Been fighting with Moosie about this, and figure this may be the Versailles. The "Omnibus" thread for re-posting news and videos (and commenting on them if you want to), and this one primarily for the usual suspects posting their own thoughts and analyses.

Sound like a plan, Moosie?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'll start. I think it is clear at this point that Putin's goal is to reassemble the Soviet Union, that his methods indicate a (not unusual for Russian culture) a whatever-works mindset, and priorities based on three factors: emphasis on the White Christian former "republics" of the USSR first, willingness to go easier on those who parrot him reliably (like Belarus), and opportunism.

One major question is whether he'll make a run at the five Central Asian republics and risk running into an Islamic fundie buzzsaw, and how he prioritizes the Baltic states who hate and fear him and invasion of which is far more likely to draw an active response from the West.

He'll never stop, he regards lying and betrayal (and murder and war) as moral behavior if it serves his goal, he's willing in any situation to take what he can get and leave the rest for another day, and he is very, very smart.

He has made no major mistakes yet. Ukraine may or may not be his first.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I can't help but think of the how the world looked through the eyes of Neville Chamberlain as he watched the Germans expand in the late 30s. At what point do we risk all out war?
I'll put up a strawman to shoot at. Draw the line at actual NATO member states.

But never say what the line is. Rather, wait for him to cross it, then get real. Inject more uncertainty into his reckoning.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Right. Let me re-phrase. . .

I forgot what petty little kid and lying sack of shit you are for a second there.

Why thank you.. coming from you.. that's a compliment

• Haha
Reactions: Dixie Cup

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Like Canada, large country but we have about the same sized GDP.....The US and allies can shut them down their economy quite easily. Sanctions etc will win this war.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
If Ukraine can hold out that long. And the sanctions will affect ordinary Russians more than it will affect Putin,
This is true, it won't affect him or the rich....Until the other rich people who have supported him all this time start losing their wealth and turn on him.....Hopefully anyways.