U.K. PM says wine and cheese gathering was 'people at work'
Author of the article:
Reuters
Reuters
William James
Publishing date:
Dec 20, 2021 • 15 hours ago • 2 minute read •
Join the conversation
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is seen at 10 Downing Street in London, December 16, 2021.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is seen at 10 Downing Street in London, December 16, 2021. Photo by Frank Augstein /Pool via REUTERS
Article content

LONDON — Boris Johnson issued the latest of a string of denials on Monday that he and his staff had broken lockdown rules after a photograph appeared of the prime minister and more than a dozen others drinking wine in the garden of his Downing Street office.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

The photograph of the gathering, reportedly taken in May last year, follows reports of other apparent social events during times when his government had told Britons they should not mix with others.

Growing public anger at the gatherings has raised doubts about Johnson’s authority within his Conservative Party as ministers consider new restrictions to control a surge in COVID-19 cases. The Conservatives lost a long-held parliamentary seat in a by-election last week.

The picture, published by the Guardian newspaper late on Sunday, shows Johnson with his partner Carrie, who appears to be holding their newborn son, and two other people at a table on a terrace in the Downing Street garden with cheese and wine.

Nearby is another table of four other people, and a short distance away are a larger group standing on the grass around a table with bottles of wine. At the time, the government had told the public they could only meet one person in an outdoor public place, keeping two meters apart.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“Those were people at work talking about work,” Johnson told broadcasters when asked about the picture and whether he understood why people were angry and might now be less likely to follow future government restrictions.

Earlier Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab said it had not been against the regulations because Downing Street is a place of work as well as Johnson’s residence.

“It is palpably not a social gathering, because you had people in work suits, following meetings that they were having at work,” Raab told Times Radio.
More On This Topic

People visit a Christmas market in London, Dec. 20, 2021.
U.K. may tighten COVID curbs after Christmas as Omicron sweeps Europe
Vials labelled
EU approves Novavax COVID-19 vaccine as region's fifth COVID-19 shot

The opposition Labour Party seized on the photograph, calling it further evidence that Johnson and his staff did not take the restrictions they had imposed on others seriously.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“Ask yourself, is that a work meeting going on? Or is that a social event? And I think the answer is pretty obvious,” Labour leader Keir Starmer told reporters.

“During that period that were funerals of people where very few people could go and mourn those that had tragically died … that’s the contrast.”

Johnson has faced a barrage of criticism since a video emerged showing his staff laughing and joking about a Downing Street party during a 2020 Christmas lockdown when such festivities were banned.

Raab said the latest photograph to appear was taken on a day when the government had just held news conference and that sometimes staff had a drink in the garden after a long day.

Besides anger over alleged parties, Johnson is grappling with a rebellion inside his party over the direction of his government which critics say is chaotic and has dramatically expanded the power of the state.

Brexit minister David Frost resigned on Saturday over disillusionment with the direction of the government. Speaking to reporters on Monday he cited his opposition to “coercive policies” on COVID.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
‘OVER MY DEAD BODY’: Sarah Palin will not be getting vaccinated against COVID-19
Author of the article:
Denette Wilford
Publishing date:
Dec 20, 2021 • 12 hours ago • 2 minute read •
28 Comments
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin addresses the 42nd annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) February 26, 2015 in National Harbor, Maryland. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin addresses the 42nd annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) February 26, 2015 in National Harbor, Maryland. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images) Photo by Alex Wong /Getty Images
Article content

Sarah Palin swore she will not be getting vaccinated against the coronavirus while she is alive and kicking.

The former governor of Alaska and one-time vice-presidential candidate was in Phoenix on Sunday attending the AmericaFest conference where she boasted about her unvaccinated status.

Her statement was met with cheers from the audience, which only got louder as she said they could all stand together against those who want them to get the shot.

“Enough is enough, especially when it comes to government telling us what we have to inject in our own bodies,” she said, punctuating that with a hard “No.”
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Palin’s comments were part of a discussion on vaccine mandates with organization founder Charlie Kirk.

“I will not do it. I won’t do it, and they better not touch my kids, either,” Palin continued.

“If enough of us, though, rise up and say, ‘No, enough is enough’ — there are more of us than there are of them. You need to all look around and… realize that those around you, as you stiffen your spine, their spines, too, will stiffen. And there is an empowerment in a group like this where you all can feed off each other, and really be strong.”

Palin and two of her children tested positive for COVID in March 2021, after which she urged people to take the virus seriously and wear masks.

“As confident as I’d like to be about my own health, and despite my joking that I’m blessed to constantly breathe in the most sterile (frozen!) air, my case is perhaps one of those that proves anyone can catch this,” she said at the time.

By September, Palin was back to her old self .

During an appearance on Fox News’ Gutfeld! , she revealed her vaccination status and that she gained immunity naturally.

“If you’ve had COVID — I’ve had COVID — well then, Mother Nature was creating an immunity.”

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Fuck COVID and Masks 😷

They have pushed fear threats and bull shit to much.. now the Government and these pansies who are afraid of their own shadow can go get fucked..

call COVID-19 bullshit burnout
Wow, this is quite a dramatic about-face from someone who only a couple of short months ago was screeching on here that "people who don't believe in government, science, and vax should stay home, ride it out, and if they die....oh well...they deserve it." You seem to change the channel faster than Faucci or Bonnie Henry do on all this "bullshit". Maybe your third time catching covid despite obediently lining up and taking the miracle vax shone some light on what's going on?

At least it's nice to see you're finally waking up, good to hear.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Wow, this is quite a dramatic about-face from someone who only a couple of short months ago was screeching on here that "people who don't believe in government, science, and vax should stay home, ride it out, and if they die....oh well...they deserve it." You seem to change the channel faster than Faucci or Bonnie Henry do on all this "bullshit". Maybe your third time catching covid despite obediently lining up and taking the miracle vax shone some light on what's going on?

At least it's nice to see you're finally waking up, good to hear.

No it’s not about face..

If you want to get Vaxxed.. get vaxxed..

However, I was never for restrictions or people being fired or hearing about it 24/7

Also, hospitals crying about bed space need to prioritize..

If you’re an alcoholic you don’t get Liver Transplants

If you’re a smoker, no to heart or lung transplants.

Same needs happen with COVID-19.. no shot, no bed.. simple.

It’s a shit thing this pandemic.. but ending someones livelihood and closing down a business is wrong..

The virus is growing weaker..

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
No it’s not about face..

However, I was never for restrictions or people being fired or hearing about it 24/7

It’s a shit thing this pandemic.. but ending someones livelihood and closing down a business is wrong..

The pandemic should have been down graded to an emergency in June 2020 when the breakdown of the virus was mapped and effective antiviral medications were known like Remdesivir, HCQ, Ivermectin, that effectively handled the virus in it's early stages.

Past June the pandemic was used as a political weapon to change the world and take down a controversial POTUS. In Canada Trudie tried to use it to take complete control of our Gov. so he didn't have to pander to the NDP

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
No it’s not about face..

Not going to dig up old posts or hold you to the garbage you were talking previously. I'm just glad to hear you discussing things a little more civilly now, it's nice to see you being a bit more balanced in your perspective. I appreciate your take above and agree with much of it. I still don't agree with your point of view however... of denying health care to Canadians who are part of their public system, who do not have the option to opt out, and who have contributed massive amounts of hard-earned tax dollars into it... in many cases for decades.

Anyone who has been paying any attention at all knows that the health care system had serious foundational problems long before all of this started. Government has suddenly been given a perfect and convenient scapegoat to blame all of their mismanagement on. If 50 people in a provincial ICU can blow up the health care system, maybe there are other factors at play. I mean…this isn’t a sudden surprise. Governments have known about this risk for 2 years and have spent literately hundreds of billions of dollars supposedly getting ready for the inevitable. They completely dropped the ball. They put all of their eggs in the vaccine basket, which now is showing to be significantly less effective at mitigating or controlling the virus than first advertised. Is it really realistic to think that this is the fault of 10-15% of the population… that 10% are really to blame? I don’t think so. Covid has been a perfect opportunity for the government to dodge all of their failed policies and bad decisions, and put all of the blame and demonize on a small segment of the population. And most people are buying the lie, they're just eating it up like a bunch of mushy headed fools.

You're right though....the virus appears to be mutating into a much less dangerous entity. Yet governments see this a a threat to their newfound, unchecked authoritarian rule. So despite the fact that this is no longer a pandemic...that we are now in the endemic stage, they are pulling out all the stops to ratchet up new lock-downs, remove more liberties, and peddle more fear. It is going to be up to people whether they choose to continue playing this foolish game, or if they're ready to finally grow some freaking balls and push back against the tyranny.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Not going to dig up old posts or hold you to the garbage you were talking previously. I'm just glad to hear you discussing things a little more civilly now, it's nice to see you being a bit more balanced in your perspective. I appreciate your take above and agree with much of it. I still don't agree with your point of view however... of denying health care to Canadians who are part of their public system, who do not have the option to opt out, and who have contributed massive amounts of hard-earned tax dollars into it... in many cases for decades.

Anyone who has been paying any attention at all knows that the health care system had serious foundational problems long before all of this started. Government has suddenly been given a perfect and convenient scapegoat to blame all of their mismanagement on. If 50 people in a provincial ICU can blow up the health care system, maybe there are other factors at play. I mean…this isn’t a sudden surprise. Governments have known about this risk for 2 years and have spent literately hundreds of billions of dollars supposedly getting ready for the inevitable. They completely dropped the ball. They put all of their eggs in the vaccine basket, which now is showing to be significantly less effective at mitigating or controlling the virus than first advertised. Is it really realistic to think that this is the fault of 10-15% of the population… that 10% are really to blame? I don’t think so. Covid has been a perfect opportunity for the government to dodge all of their failed policies and bad decisions, and put all of the blame and demonize on a small segment of the population. And most people are buying the lie, they're just eating it up like a bunch of mushy headed fools.

You're right though....the virus appears to be mutating into a much less dangerous entity. Yet governments see this a a threat to their newfound, unchecked authoritarian rule. So despite the fact that this is no longer a pandemic...that we are now in the endemic stage, they are pulling out all the stops to ratchet up new lock-downs, remove more liberties, and peddle more fear. It is going to be up to people whether they choose to continue playing this foolish game, or if they're ready to finally grow some freaking balls and push back against the tyranny.

Dude, I am seriously considering leaving Canada for good..

I am in Winnipeg getting a haircut.. everywhere you go you need to scan to eat..

It’s fascist behaviour..

22EB0917-EC40-463C-B31C-A97B7A47076E.jpeg

…and people comply.. reminds me of..

C52AB490-9C74-4BDC-84FD-A0AED0C2D45F.jpeg

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Employer must face worker's lawsuit over husband's COVID death, court rules

Author of the article:
Reuters
Reuters
Brendan Pierson