Christian Support for Killing Iraqis

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A Catholic support group. What a great idea. Like AA.

"Hello, my name is Cliff and I am a Catholic.
"I would like to make the following confession. On Sundays, around 11:00 am, I get an uncontrollable urge to cross myself, run to the nearest church, sniff incense, and search for weapons of mass instruction. I know I'm weak; I need your help to overcome these temptations and stay in bed!"

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:;-)

My counseling fee is negotiable. The local CA (Catholics Anonymous)is held every Wednesday evening at 7pm at the pub. Thursdays we have an RA (Religious Anonymous) meeting there too. attendance has been brisk so book ahead.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Look i want to get something off my chest.

I know the majority of people reading this are anti-christian, thats ok its a free world us christians know you guys exist.

The majority of us dont care, most of us live outside of town and live in our little church communities like the ones south of sudbury. We dont go up in your face posting propoganda, most of us just stay to ourselves listening to our country music and working our jobs.

We tolerate alot, we are always learning the history and learning from it cause there are always those people who hold it against us. We are trying to change with times and are happy with who we are as people, and a community.

No ones perfect, we dont like being singled out in public for our beliefs, we dont want to isolate ourselves, and i dont like being insulted for wearing a cross around my neck.

I have had catholic relatives way back that were caught up in poland protecting the jews (guess what happened to them?????), and we get especially mad when athiests attack us but ignore other religous groups.....

I hope those who hate us for who we are understand

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Johnnny,

I don't think anyone hates the religious... feel a little sorry maybe, but not hate. That just sounds like someone with a persecution complex. I realize Catholics try to keep a low profile (except for the pro-life lunatic fringe) because of past "mistakes". I think what gets most people's goats are the evangelical nut jobs that are out to shove their brand of lunacy down everybody's throat.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Johnny, no one hates Christians. As a matter of fact, if most of us, regardless of religious beliefs, lived as pacifists, with brotherhood and charity, the world would profit from our behaviour. It's the behaviour that matters, not the myth.

Sadly, it is simply not lived by many who are nominal Christians. Or by most of us.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hey Johnny - I am a christian too. This is for you -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYI_aOyCn9Y&NR=1

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Look i want to get something off my chest.

I know the majority of people reading this are anti-christian, thats ok its a free world us christians know you guys exist.

The majority of us dont care, most of us live outside of town and live in our little church communities like the ones south of sudbury. We dont go up in your face posting propoganda, most of us just stay to ourselves listening to our country music and working our jobs.

We tolerate alot, we are always learning the history and learning from it cause there are always those people who hold it against us. We are trying to change with times and are happy with who we are as people, and a community.

No ones perfect, we dont like being singled out in public for our beliefs, we dont want to isolate ourselves, and i dont like being insulted for wearing a cross around my neck.

I have had catholic relatives way back that were caught up in poland protecting the jews (guess what happened to them?????), and we get especially mad when athiests attack us but ignore other religous groups.....

Johnnny,

I'm agnostic. I don't hate Christians and any religious group. In fact I fully support everyone's right to choose their belief system as long as they don't try to impose it on anyone and violate the rights of others...

So I support your choice to be Catholic.

The initial pointed which started this discussion pointed out correctly that a majority of American Christians supported their Christian president's call for war.

All the justifications for that war have been proven to be lies and manipulations of the truth. Iraq's WMDs had been elimintated by weapon inspections nearly a decade before the start of the war. Iraq had no links to al Qaeda or the events of 9/11.

The Christian president of the USA manipulated 9/11 anger and fear into support for an unprovoked war which killed 30,000 Iraqi soldiers (many of whom were involuntary conscripts) 100,000 civilians deaths directly as collateral damage and about another 900,000 as a result of civil war, increased violence and crime. The scale of death and destruction pretty much eliminates the war's justification on humanitarian grounds.

War is legal only if a country is attacked (Iraq never attacked the US), an attack is about to happen (Iraq had no real offensive capability) or the war was approved by the UNSC for for specific reasons, (they never did)

Therefore the US decision to invade and occupy Iraq violated the UN Charter and international law. That makes it a war crime and probably a crime against humanity.

Lessons of Iraq war underscore importance of UN Charter - Annan

16 September 2004 – Secretary-General Kofi Annan believes that the Iraq war in 2003 demonstrated the need for the international community to address the issue of preventive action in the context of Charter principles and showed the importance of joint efforts on matters of use of force, a United Nations spokesman said today.

Responding to media questions about the Secretary-General's comments in a BBC interview, spokesman Fred Eckhard told a press briefing in New York that in his remarks the Secretary-General had reiterated his well-known position that the military action against Iraq was not in conformity with the UN Charter.

In the interview, Mr. Annan was repeatedly asked whether the war was "illegal." "Yes," he finally said, "I have indicated it is not in conformity with the UN Charter, from our point of view, and from the Charter point of view it was illegal."...

http://www.un.org/apps/news/storyAr.asp?NewsID=11953&Cr=iraq&Cr1

Johnnny, you are a Christian. In your opinion as a Christian, "How would Jesus judge this war and the people who started it?"

Reactions: Spade

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Yep, Islandpacific, people lie about being churchers. Doubleplusungood! Take care. Thanks for your defence of Spade.
PS to Tyr
You are not a secret churcher, are you?

I was brought up "ardent" Catholic (taught by the nuns.. the whole nine yards) and was actually an alter boy.

At 15-16yrs old came to see the absolute hypocrisy of the Catholic faith and the hypocrisy of Christianity as a whole.

I'd consider myself a spiritual agnostic

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Iam a catholic yes, i jump to defend my catholic brothers when the heat is turned on, yes.

I do consider myself a free thinker cause i like to look at both sides of the story, like i encouraged in a previous post in this thread. I like to freely think there are two sides to each story.

When someone comes on here and generalizes one religous group (like the original poster) thats not free thinking. On the other hand if someone religous like iam were to come along and say this

thats free thinking, im not letting a news article tell me what to believe, im not letting my religous beliefs get in the way of your beleifs, im not caught in a dogma beleif that my religon is superior to anyones.

Compared to most athiests i think ive handled myself more politely and proffesionally

Quote: Just remember that for every misgiving brought on by christians, just as much has been brought by all of the other major religons people unfairly compare christianity to.

thats free thinking,

No that would be justification/rationalization and is generally exhibited by someone who feels that because of the flaw in their logic, it is best to deflect to something else

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
A Catholic support group. What a great idea. Like AA.

"Hello, my name is Cliff and I am a Catholic.
"I would like to make the following confession. On Sundays, around 11:00 am, I get an uncontrollable urge to cross myself, run to the nearest church, sniff incense, and search for weapons of mass instruction. I know I'm weak; I need your help to overcome these temptations and stay in bed!"

"Hi, I'm Tyr and I am....a Catholic"

I glad everyone is here fro me.

Last week, I slipped and found myself craving to be somewhere near a vestibule. I didn't care what happened or how I got there. I was trembling, sweating and could barely breadth. It was horrible. I phoned up my ex-catholic buddy and we talked. After a few of those little Jesus mints (the ones with the arms at his side, not outstretch - they taste uckky), I felt better and know I have the strenth to make it now.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

Johnnny,

I don't think anyone hates the religious... feel a little sorry maybe, but not hate. That just sounds like someone with a persecution complex. I realize Catholics try to keep a low profile (except for the pro-life lunatic fringe) because of past "mistakes". I think what gets most people's goats are the evangelical nut jobs that are out to shove their brand of lunacy down everybody's throat.

That is exactly the point Cliff. If they would just practice their religion amongst themselves, everybody could care less.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Once again, some people in this thread went a little too far. And as such i defended my religon, what i said earlier is valid. People like to talk ****...

Some valid personal points of view have been expressed, including yours. But that statement is pretty closed minded.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Johnnny I'm not attacking you. I support your right to choose to be Catholic. IMHO, you don't have to defend your beliefs.

But you never answered my question. I assume you have studied Christ's teachings as I have. "How would Jesus judge this war and the people who started it?"

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
No answer? How about this:

Matthew 7

..."Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

George W. Bush claims to be a Christian. But what fruit did his administration bear? During his adminstration, people could be detained indefinitely and tortured without charge or trial. Hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children were slaughtered without mercy. Americans lost their right to privacy, their government spies and on them. Finally they drove the American economy into a severe recession by allowing greed to determine economic policy.