Chicken Recipes

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Braised Boneless, skinless, chicken thighs.

This is a simple recipe that never fails. You'll need about a dozen thighs for four people. Pound the chicken thighs out to a uniform thickness. Use a piece of Saran wrap so you don't get chicken on the walls. They don't have to be thin. They just should be all the same thickness. Dredge the pounded thighs in flour and pepper both sides. Heat a half cup of oil and when it is hot add a quarter cup of butter or margarine. Brown in hot oil and butter.. Place the browned chicken in a medium sized baking dish, sprinkle with paprika and add half a can of chicken broth. Cover and cook in a three hundred and fifty degree oven for twenty five minutes.

Serve with what ever veggies you like. Roasted new potatoes and snow peas are nice.;-)

Last edited:

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Some of your posts had me laughing loads! and i had to wonder a few times "I thought this was a chicken recipe thread" ... Ha!

Anyways, I just have to share my favourite chicken dish with you all, it is Da Bomb Yummy! and not too good adding inches to the tummy and one dish our guests LOVE but my hubby doesn't eat it, but he's so darn fussy and more for me!

I serve it with rice and many serve with salad or serve with a mix of breads if you like... It is delicious and hoping you have all the ingredients or the equivalent of in Canada... I use previously cooked chicken too if I have it ready to go ...

BUTTER CHICKEN...

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken cut up into pieces.
2 tomatoes (blended)
2 onions chopped
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
15 cashew nuts (made into a paste using water)Blitz in wizz or use a pestle & Mortar (nuts are optional)
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp thick cream
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oil
coriander for garnishing

Marinade:
1 tbsp tandoori masala
1/2 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin powder
5 tbsp yogurt
Salt to taste
Mix all the above ingredients well in a bowl

Method:
1. Marinate the chicken in the marinade for one hour or overnight.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry the chicken for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and keep aside.
3. In the remaining oil, fry the chopped onions till golden, then add the ginger-garlic paste and fry sprinkling some water now and then till oil separates.
4. Add the cashew nut paste, chili powder, tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add the butter, cream and chicken. Mix well and cook until it is done.

Serve as suggested above.. MMMmmmmmmmmm so Good!

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Sounds good providing the tandoori masawhatsit and the other one are palatable. I'll ask the wife to try chasing some down. I think I'll get her to pass on adding mortars and pestles, though.

Awwww Les, you're not one of them fussy eaters are you?

If my husband hasn't tried a food or a dish he doesn't like it! How can you not like something you've never tried? I tried cuffing him round the ears but he just laughs at me... (lol) ...

He loves spuds and meat that guy and dry salad no mayo! LOVES a beer though, brews his own..

those other ingredients are bought in herb size packets as dried goods.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, I'll go so far as to lick them. But I've tried chewing golf balls before (too much beer) and might again even. Mortars and pestles are a bit daunting, though. About the only things I dislike are squashes & family.
Our kids were like your hubby for a while. Now they switched from alternate dislikes of various veggies meats, cereals, etc. to a definite dislike of fast foods from choke n pukes like McDonald's. :D

kiwi_NZ

Electoral Member
May 23, 2009
New Zealand
Well, I'll go so far as to lick them. But I've tried chewing golf balls before (too much beer) and might again even. Mortars and pestles are a bit daunting, though. About the only things I dislike are squashes & family.
Our kids were like your hubby for a while. Now they switched from alternate dislikes of various veggies meats, cereals, etc. to a definite dislike of fast foods from choke n pukes like McDonald's. :D

You don't like family? God you're a hard case with some of the things you say! Cracks me up here ...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Spicy Chicken Bake
I got this recipe from a friend who said he brought it back from Trinidad. Regardless of it's heritage, it is a good way to do chicken.

Ingredients
about a three pound fryer cut into the usual pieces.
12 ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 small cans of tomato paste
1 cup water
2 tablespoons chilli powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1tablespoon olive oil
medium onion quartered
three large carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
2 teaspoons dried basil

Directions
Coat the bottom and sides of a large Dutch oven with the olive oil
Add chicken
Add all the ingredients except carrots and basil... use your fingers to thoroughly mix the sauce ingredients among the chicken pieces. Lay carrot pieces decoratively on top of the chicken. Sprinkle basil over top. Cover and place in 350 degree oven for an hour and forty five minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Stuffed chicken breasts:

4 chicken breasts sliced lengthwise down the middle but not quite all the way through(butterfly)
2 bunches of green onions
½ pound of sliced mushrooms

preheat oven to 350
heat to saute temp a squirt of olive oil and tablespoon of butter and saute the mushrooms and onions

2 cups bread crumbs or croutons
1 clove garlic minced of chopped fine
bit of cilantro
1 jumbo egg or equivalent
mix and then add the sauteed shrooms & onions including the butter/olive oil
mix more

open the butterflied chicken out flat, spread a layer of stuffing onto them and then roll the layered chicken up and hold them together with toothpicks.
Lay seam side down and slather a can cream of celery soup mixed with a can of golden mushroom over them.

slip into the oven for an hour.
Serve with potatoes and veggies or whatever you like

Oh yeah, if you have stuffing left over roll it into little balls and add to the soup gravy or munch on it as snacks or .....

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
One of my fave ways to have chicken is to cut up some breast into cube shapes, marinate in BBQ sauce, freshly ground thyme, honey, garlic, and them skewer them with mushrooms and bell peppers...

Fry and enjoy!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Spicy Chicken Drumettes

The supermarket often has chicken drumettes in fairly large trays. The one I have here is just under two kilograms. Just over four dozen drumettes. This should easily serve four people, with leftovers. This is something I've done before but I never seem to do it the same way twice. Anyway...;-)
sauce ingredients
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup wooster sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
two tablespoons vegetable oil
two cloves of garlic crushed

Dump the drumettes into a large baking dish. Stir sauce well and pour over chicken in baking dish. With your hands, stir drumettes around and make sure they are all coated. Let sit for four or five hours. Place baking dish in three hundred and fifty degree oven for one and a half hours. Baste twice and turn drumettes to keep from burning. This recipe is kind of neat because you can make it part of a full meal with rice and veggies or you can use them as an delicious hors d'oeuvre...Supply lots of napkins....;-):lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We made chicken salad rolls last night for supper and the kids demolished it.

I sliced two chicken breasts super thin, marinated it in fish sauce and lime juice, and fried it with onion.

The fillings are as simple or as complicated as you like. Rice or rice noodles, shredded veggies of your choosing, and any sauces you like. We went with rice, red peppers, shredded lettuce, and 'pickled' carrots and cabbage (marinate the veggies in wine and sugar for at least two hours... easy peasy). Topped it all off with a peanut hoisin sauce I made, and YUM!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Chicken Parmagiana (sp?)

2 chicken breasts, squished to about 1 inch thick
2 tbsp of olive oil, plus a squirt for shallow frying
2 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp of dried oregano
1 pint of diced tomatoes
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp plain flour
⅓ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup grated cheddar or whatever flavor you like
¼ cup parmesan

1. Heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and gently cook for 2 minutes.
2. Empty the can of chopped tomatoes into the pan and the oregano. Season and stir. Cook over a low/medium heat for 20-25 minutes until sauce is thick.
3. Meanwhile, coat the pieces of chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Next dip into the egg, and then finally dip into the breadcrumbs, ensuring the chicken is evenly covered.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C.
5. Heat enough olive oil for shallow frying in a frying pan. Fry the chicken on both sides until golden.
6. Place the chicken in a roasting tray and pour over the tomato sauce. Sprinkle over the grated cheeses and place in the middle of the oven. Bake until the cheeses have melted and the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 mins.
7. Serve with mixed salad leaves, tossed in a little vinaigrette.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We made chicken salad rolls last night for supper and the kids demolished it.

I sliced two chicken breasts super thin, marinated it in fish sauce and lime juice, and fried it with onion.

The fillings are as simple or as complicated as you like. Rice or rice noodles, shredded veggies of your choosing, and any sauces you like. We went with rice, red peppers, shredded lettuce, and 'pickled' carrots and cabbage (marinate the veggies in wine and sugar for at least two hours... easy peasy). Topped it all off with a peanut hoisin sauce I made, and YUM!

Did you roll up stuff in the chicken or did you roll everything in a tortia of some sort? Maybe I'm just thick...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Did you roll up stuff in the chicken or did you roll everything in a tortia of some sort? Maybe I'm just thick...

lol... gee... that's a crucial little bit of info isn't it? lol.

We used rice paper wrappers.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I'm usually wary of trying new food, especially east Indian food (because of how it looks), but everybody raves about this "butter chicken" which I tried for the first time tonight. Damn that stuff is good! Now I know what everyone was talking about. :)

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm usually wary of trying new food, especially east Indian food (because of how it looks), but everybody raves about this "butter chicken" which I tried for the first time tonight. Damn that stuff is good! Now I know what everyone was talking about. :)

So, unless you are willing to earn #juan's ire, give us the recipe.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Chicken Catalina.

Use whatever pieces you please,(whole cut to pieces , drums, wings what have you) 1 bottle Kraft Catalina dressing, 1 bag of onion soup mix. 2 cored and pureed apples all in a roaster. Serve with rice.

Yum!