CBC demands more money

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
T.V. is only one medium, radio is a more important one in my view. With radio you can do "multi tasking" with T.V. it's pretty tough!

I will agree to that. If you must fund broadcasting, indeed radio is more practical.

Not to mention that those who can't afford cable do not benefit from TV at all, wheeras with amfm they can still benefit from radio at least.

I think the CBC has a place. While living in the North it was the only game in town, and at least had some descent programming. I enjoyed Graham Kerr, Wok with Yan, The Fifth Estate, Front Page Challenge and so on. The prime time linup even had some good classic movies and the occasional miniseries they conned from the BBC. I liked Knowlton Nash, Barbara Frum could be a bit grating. But I got really pi$$ed when they replaced the Muppet Show with Fraggle Rock, which was also part of the early prime time, (between 7:00 and 8:00) programming.

I was unaware that in some regions the CBC really is the only game in town, but then in that case would it not be possible for the sake of cost savings to have the CBC specialize in those locations where there is nothing else. In those exceptional case3s, it might be worth funding it, but there is no need for CBC Ottawa for example when we have access to so many other options in the city.

In other words, let's have the CBC specialize in isolated communities only.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I've lived in various parts of Canada, and have met and made friends from all walks of life. Get off the couch and make some friends. Our identity is refelcted in our daily lives, not in front of the boob tube.

We are talking about Canadian identity programming right?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In B.C. we have literally hundreds of small isolated communties (possibly comprising 10% of the population) where the only reception is C.B.C.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We are talking about Canadian identity programming right?

What do you mean by Canadian identity programming? The private sector is not capable of that?

In B.C. we have literally hundreds of small isolated communties (possibly comprising 10% of the population) where the only reception is C.B.C.

Then let's have the CBC specialize in those areas. This woudl also help better acquaint us city-dwellers with the more isolated parts of the country we don't visit as much.

Or just specialize in radio.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
CBC North was a public service, just as CBC was back even earlier. That should have been broadcasts that were without corporate sponsorship and if that can't be supplied today (and it wouldn't be) then the funding should be at zero and let the advertisers decide what we will be watching on that redundant media.

As a publicly funded media would CBC not have the obligation to tell it's 'stockholders' the 'uncensored truth'?
(Classified) Bill Defends Against Flesh-Eating (Classified) - YouTube

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
CBC North was a public service, just as CBC was back even earlier. That should have been broadcasts that were without corporate sponsorship and if that can't be supplied today (and it wouldn't be) then the funding should be at zero and let the advertisers decide what we will be watching on that redundant media.

As a publicly funded media would CBC not have the obligation to tell it's 'stockholders' the 'uncensored truth'?
(Classified) Bill Defends Against Flesh-Eating (Classified) - YouTube

I can agree in principle to the principle that public broadcasting ought to be 100% funded by the public. But then to keep its costs down, it shoud also be limited to radio or specialize in more isolated areas.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It must be both competitive and efficient... No point in having it if no one is listening

There is a difference between competitiveness and efficiency. Efficiency just means efficient use of resources. Competitiveness means trying to undermine the competition.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
There is a difference between competitiveness and efficiency. Efficiency just means efficient use of resources. Competitiveness means trying to undermine the competition.

I disagree, competition does not mean undermining the competitors. In my view, it relates to attempting to garner the biggest customer base possible.

In this case, CBC has a distinct advantage in that they need not sell air time to advertisers. You would think that this would be a strong advantage in itself.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Yep. They just mad because they don't want to (don't think they should have to) adapt to a reduced budget like what happens in the real world.

What a sad tragedy. :lol:

Fuk 'em.

Are you talking about the CBC or the majority of Canadians?

A Harris-Decima survey conducted for The Canadian Press suggests 46 per cent of Canadians would like the CBC's funding to stay at the current level and 23 per cent would like it to be increased.

Majority backs public funding for CBC, poll finds - The Globe and Mail

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Are you talking about the CBC or the majority of Canadians?

A Harris-Decima survey conducted for The Canadian Press suggests 46 per cent of Canadians would like the CBC's funding to stay at the current level and 23 per cent would like it to be increased.

Majority backs public funding for CBC, poll finds - The Globe and Mail

In the context of this OP/thread slim, now who do you think? :lol:

Besides, a poll showing 23% of Canadians are 'hey big spender' idiots is funny.

Oh, and, polls also show most Canucks believe in God. What of it?

A goodly number have probably seen Sasquatch too. :lol:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah, that was a good one! :lol:

Anyway, as for the CBC...no more soup for you!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wouldn't know about that...the few times that I was called by some polling outfit...they seemed to call while I was eating and I hung up on them...:smile:

I've heard too that a lot of people deliberately lie to the pollsters. Their claim of accuracy of 99%, 19 times out of 20 is pure B.S. too. I've been polled several times and just the way they limit the answers makes it impossible to get accuracy. When I've told them I'm undecided or don't know or don't care, they always pressured me to select one of the five answers.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I can agree in principle to the principle that public broadcasting ought to be 100% funded by the public. But then to keep its costs down, it should also be limited to radio or specialize in more isolated areas.
Should the first job be to get the current news to those Canadians in the remotest part of Canada of is educating the public done when you get 500 miles north of the US border.

Just to show where I'm coming from, when the company was first funded with public money the contract that went to private industry was to install a radio system that could reach all parts of Canada. Lots of money was spent and once the coverage got to the degree that 'consumers' were in large supply the desire to get the news and such to those who had no money fizzled out for the most part. How does the rescued publicly funded communication company that Hugo 'rescued' differ from what the CBC is supposed to broadcast. The deep independent investigations into politics and business certainly is a thing of the past so I'm already paying enough taxes to be lied to.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
In the context of this OP/thread slim, now who do you think? :lol:

Besides, a poll showing 23% of Canadians are 'hey big spender' idiots is funny.

Oh, and, polls also show most Canucks believe in God. What of it?

A goodly number have probably seen Sasquatch too. :lol:

I guess you forgot your hatred for polls when you posted that federal poll a couple of months ago. :p

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I guess you forgot your hatred for polls when you posted that federal poll a couple of months ago. :p

Yeah but we ain't talking 'bout that in this here threadaroo, are we jim bob. You maybe a tad. We be talkin' the CBC demanding more of our money.

Perhaps start a thread for those that dig or not dig polls...you know...maybe even create a poll about your polls and stuff...but for now, as RCR has sagely suggested in the past...slow deep breaths buddy, slow deep breaths. :lol:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yeah but we ain't talking 'bout that in this here threadaroo, are we jim bob. You maybe a tad. We be talkin' the CBC demanding more of our money.

Perhaps start a thread for those that dig or not dig polls...you know...maybe even create a poll about your polls and stuff...but for now, as RCR has sagely suggested in the past...slow deep breaths buddy, slow deep breaths. :lol: