Canada needs to boost home building by 50 per cent to keep up with immigration, report says

JadynBurgess

Mar 7, 2023
With immigration playing a vital role in Canada's population growth, addressing the housing shortage is paramount. Incorporating Schüco aluminum windows into the construction projects can enhance the visual appeal of these new homes while also ensuring long-lasting quality and energy efficiency. It's an opportunity to create welcoming and sustainable living spaces for both immigrants and existing residents.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hello, newly minted Housing Minister Sean Fraser and congratulations on your promotion. Ditto Marc Miller, also recently arrived in the Immigration portfolio after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s seismic shuffle this week.

The left hand of Immigration seems to be unaware of what the right hand of Housing is doing. So shake hands and start working together.

The Trudeau government has what it calls an “ambitious” target of bringing in 465,000 new permanent residents in 2023, 485,000 in 2024 and 500,000 in 2025.

According to its National Housing Strategy, the federal government is committed to building, “up to 160,000 new affordable homes” over the next 10 years.

You don’t have to be a math genius to see the problem. The government is committed to bringing in 1.4 million people over the next three years and has a plan to build only 160,000 new homes. That leaves approximately 1.2 million newcomers looking for homes. Certainly, the private sector will fill many gaps – if they’re allowed to.

We already have a housing crisis, with people under-housed or homeless and those who can’t afford a mortgage in this over-inflated economy the government has created.

No one is arguing that this country shouldn’t bring in newcomers. Canada was built on immigration. It’s our economic lifeblood. But the numbers have to add up. And these don’t.

Fraser said recently he would, “urge caution to anyone who believes the answer to our housing challenges is to close the door on newcomers.”

Fair enough. Now show us your logical and practical plan to house them.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland recently turned down Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow’s reasonable request for more federal funding to help deal with a massive influx of asylum seekers who were living on the streets.
Freeland set an adversarial tone for every big city. The federal government will bring in hundreds of thousands of newcomers to this country, dump them on cities, shortchange those communities and tell them to deal with it.

It’s not just housing. Where’s the funding for new schools, community centres and healthcare? The government is creating a crisis.

Trudeau needs to put his money where his mouth is – and fund those newcomers before they, too, are living on the streets.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hello, newly minted Housing Minister Sean Fraser and congratulations on your promotion. Ditto Marc Miller, also recently arrived in the Immigration portfolio after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s seismic shuffle this week.

The left hand of Immigration seems to be unaware of what the right hand of Housing is doing. So shake hands and start working together.

The Trudeau government has what it calls an “ambitious” target of bringing in 465,000 new permanent residents in 2023, 485,000 in 2024 and 500,000 in 2025.

According to its National Housing Strategy, the federal government is committed to building, “up to 160,000 new affordable homes” over the next 10 years.

You don’t have to be a math genius to see the problem. The government is committed to bringing in 1.4 million people over the next three years and has a plan to build only 160,000 new homes. That leaves approximately 1.2 million newcomers looking for homes. Certainly, the private sector will fill many gaps – if they’re allowed to.

We already have a housing crisis, with people under-housed or homeless and those who can’t afford a mortgage in this over-inflated economy the government has created.

No one is arguing that this country shouldn’t bring in newcomers. Canada was built on immigration. It’s our economic lifeblood. But the numbers have to add up. And these don’t.

Fraser said recently he would, “urge caution to anyone who believes the answer to our housing challenges is to close the door on newcomers.”

Fair enough. Now show us your logical and practical plan to house them.

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland recently turned down Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow’s reasonable request for more federal funding to help deal with a massive influx of asylum seekers who were living on the streets.
Freeland set an adversarial tone for every big city. The federal government will bring in hundreds of thousands of newcomers to this country, dump them on cities, shortchange those communities and tell them to deal with it.

It’s not just housing. Where’s the funding for new schools, community centres and healthcare? The government is creating a crisis.

Trudeau needs to put his money where his mouth is – and fund those newcomers before they, too, are living on the streets.
So. . . not a big fan of free-market solutions?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So. . . not a big fan of free-market solutions?
I’m not sure where you got that from, but ok. The free market isn’t bringing in 1/80th or more of our national population annually without a plan to house them. Given time and controlled growth the free market would catch up…but that’s not currently what’s happening.

I’m not sure how the American system works in all honesty as far as the terminology of things goes, but here’s the terms applicable to the article that I quoted on the Canadian side of the border.

People come to Canada as either Immigrants or refugees, or temporarily on a visa for various reasons, or as tourists. In the immigration process, whether one starts out as an immigrant or a refugee, the next step in the process is to become a “permanent resident”….& and then the final step is to become a “citizen.”

Becoming a permanent resident can take years….& one simply does not enter as a permanent residence…or be brought in as a permanent resident…so the above article is somewhat misleading.
These 400,000 to 500,000 entering people per annum may eventually become permanent residents, but they don’t enter as permanent residents. If they are entering as immigrants, then they may be able to bear the costs associated with the free market solution… but if they’re coming in as refugees, the costs associated with the free market would probably be beyond their means.
That 160,000 new affordable homes over the next 10 years, not annually.
You don’t have to be a math genius to see the problem. The government is committed to bringing in 1.4 million people over the next three years and has a plan to build only 160,000 new homes.
That’s building another 160,000 new “affordable” (which is going to have different meanings to different people depending on their own situations) over the next 10 years.
That leaves approximately 1.2 million newcomers looking for homes. Certainly, the private sector will fill many gaps – if they’re allowed to.
Is this where you believe I’m anti-free market?

The above is real. It’s not anti-free market, but those below the average income are cut out of home ownership at this point.

…& I’m not saying that either.
Fair enough. Now show us your logical and practical plan to house them. The federal government will bring in hundreds of thousands of newcomers to this country, dump them on cities, shortchange those communities and tell them to deal with it.
The free market isn’t controlling immigration & refugee policy, and give time in one form or another it’ll catch up hopefully….is this where you think I’m against the free market?
This goes back to the concept of “controlled growth.” I’m assuming those entering Canada either as immigrants or refugees were not planning on arriving in order to be homeless, without resources, support infrastructure, and living on the street.
Is this where you think I’m anti-free market? Seeking balanced immigration & refugee policies to housing & infrastructure policies isn’t anti-anything but maybe that’s just me.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Fuck "policies." Decide on the immigration quotas, including sub-categories, and bring 'em in. The market will respond to the demand for housing.

Forget the fucking "plans" and get out of the way. Be small-L liberal (for the national government) in negotiating whatever variances on provincial and local zoning laws are needed (including grants).

Just. . . quit the Lib/Con circle jerk and get people into housing in places where the economy isn't boom and bust. Or where it is, with the clear understanding they may have to up sticks and move come the bust.

Get bloody smart. If you live in a known boom-n'-bust area, invest in rental housing that can be sealed up, left for a year or ten, and re-opened with minimum time, effort, and cost. If it's an area that calls for seasonal work, container houses are ideal.

Just for fuck's sake quit using it as a stick to beat the other party with, and try solving the damn problem instead of blamethrowing.

This is what government should be for. Interpreting the local impact of national policy, informing the market, and clearing the road to get shit done.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I concur with your assessment of the situation. Currently with the current immigration quotas, the market is not keeping up. I’m advocating for controled growth so that the free market can keep up or catch up to government policy as it stands.

Yes, I’m using it as a hammer on a pot to make noise to wake people up, or trying to. We’re being screwed into a generational financial hole and I don’t like it. Things need to change and they’re not changing with our current government. I would love to see them get their poop in a group! I really would!! I would love to see this nation be successful, regardless, of who gets elected into office! Right now, I’m not seeing that and I can’t for see things getting better or changing for the good without some real changes top down.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Fuck "policies." Decide on the immigration quotas, including sub-categories, and bring 'em in. The market will respond to the demand for housing.

Forget the fucking "plans" and get out of the way. Be small-L liberal (for the national government) in negotiating whatever variances on provincial and local zoning laws are needed (including grants).

Just. . . quit the Lib/Con circle jerk and get people into housing in places where the economy isn't boom and bust. Or where it is, with the clear understanding they may have to up sticks and move come the bust.

Get bloody smart. If you live in a known boom-n'-bust area, invest in rental housing that can be sealed up, left for a year or ten, and re-opened with minimum time, effort, and cost. If it's an area that calls for seasonal work, container houses are ideal.

Just for fuck's sake quit using it as a stick to beat the other party with, and try solving the damn problem instead of blamethrowing.

This is what government should be for. Interpreting the local impact of national policy, informing the market, and clearing the road to get shit done.
Sounds great , but it still takes a year minimum to get all building permits approved prior to moving one shovel of dirt .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Gets weirder too. After coming to office on promises of “affordable housing,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said this week it’s not a “federal responsibility.”

“I’ll be blunt … housing is not a primary federal responsibility, it’s not something that we have direct carriage of,” Trudeau said at a Monday press conference announcing the opening of several federally subsidized housing complexes in Hamilton, Ont.

Standing behind a lectern affixed with a sign reading “building more homes faster,” Trudeau added that housing is “something we can and must help with.”

The comments stand in contrast to more than 10 years of Liberal Party messaging, in which Trudeau has often promised decisive action on bringing home ownership within reach for average Canadians.
The Liberals’ 2015 campaign platform promised “affordable housing for Canadians.” “We have a plan to make housing more affordable for those who need it most – seniors, persons with disabilities, lower-income families, and Canadians working hard to join the middle class,” Trudeau said at the time.

Housing affordability was actually one of the first issues championed by Trudeau when he first entered the House of Commons as a Liberal backbencher in 2008.

“In my travels throughout my riding of Papineau, I heard time and time again how access to affordable housing is a major challenge for Canadian families … high housing costs mean young people and new Canadians cannot buy homes, which leads to increased pressure on existing affordable housing,” said Trudeau in his second-ever parliamentary comments, delivered on Nov. 21, 2008.

In 2015, the average Canadian home price stood at $413,000. Now, according to the latest estimates from the Canadian Real Estate Association, average home prices have risen to $702,409 — an increase of about 70 per cent.

Shelter costs have been even worse for renters. In 2015, the median rent across Canada’s 35 largest urban centres stood at $966 per month. As of the latest figures from Rentals.ca, that figure has almost doubled to a median rent of $1,811 per month for a one-bedroom.

Reporters at the Hamilton event noted that Trudeau was cutting the ribbon on an affordable housing complex at which average rents would be $1,400 a month, and where the cutoff for household income stood at $90,000. “Is this what is being considered affordable in Hamilton at this point?” asked a reporter.

It’s true that the Canadian federal government does not have direct control over the usual levers that drive Canadian housing construction. Zoning and permitting are generally decided at the municipal level, but they can be overridden by provincial mandate. Last October, for instance, the Ontario government proposed the More Homes Built Faster Act, which would kneecap the ability of cities to deny building permits.

Subsidized and affordable housing, similarly, are usually greenlit by cities or provincial legislatures – although they can be driven by federal monies, as with the Hamilton projects that Trudeau was visiting Monday.

But the federal government has not always shied away from asserting its power over policy areas that are technically supposed to be left to the provinces.

This most noticeably describes the current state of Canadian health care. Although it’s up to provinces to administer their own health-care services, the Canada Health Act uses conditional funding to tightly control what these health-care services look like.

As recently as March, the federal government was threatening to deny health funding to provinces that allowed the establishment of for-profit virtual care.

Conservative Party leader Pierre Poilievre has campaigned hard on the promise of increasing Canadian housing supply and driving down real estate prices. His plan, unveiled in March, leans heavily on the threat of denying federal funding to municipal and provincial governments who don’t meet defined federal targets on home construction.

As one plank reads, it would “require unaffordable big cities like Vancouver to increase homebuilding by 15 per cent annually or face big financial penalties and have portions of their federal funding withheld.”

The Trudeau government also retains unilateral control over one of the most conspicuous policies driving up demand for Canadian real estate: immigration. The Trudeau government has dramatically increased Canada’s immigration quotas, leading to an unprecedented one million new residents entering the country last year.

The result is a rate of national population growth that is dramatically outstripping home construction. Although home building was up for 2022, the year closed with a raw number of housing “starts” standing at only 240,590.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Gets weirder too. After coming to office on promises of “affordable housing,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said this week it’s not a “federal responsibility.”

“I’ll be blunt … housing is not a primary federal responsibility, it’s not something that we have direct carriage of,” Trudeau said at a Monday press conference announcing the opening of several federally subsidized housing complexes in Hamilton, Ont.

Standing behind a lectern affixed with a sign reading “building more homes faster,” Trudeau added that housing is “something we can and must help with.”

The comments stand in contrast to more than 10 years of Liberal Party messaging, in which Trudeau has often promised decisive action on bringing home ownership within reach for average Canadians.
The Liberals’ 2015 campaign platform promised “affordable housing for Canadians.” “We have a plan to make housing more affordable for those who need it most – seniors, persons with disabilities, lower-income families, and Canadians working hard to join the middle class,” Trudeau said at the time.

Housing affordability was actually one of the first issues championed by Trudeau when he first entered the House of Commons as a Liberal backbencher in 2008.

“In my travels throughout my riding of Papineau, I heard time and time again how access to affordable housing is a major challenge for Canadian families … high housing costs mean young people and new Canadians cannot buy homes, which leads to increased pressure on existing affordable housing,” said Trudeau in his second-ever parliamentary comments, delivered on Nov. 21, 2008.

In 2015, the average Canadian home price stood at $413,000. Now, according to the latest estimates from the Canadian Real Estate Association, average home prices have risen to $702,409 — an increase of about 70 per cent.

Shelter costs have been even worse for renters. In 2015, the median rent across Canada’s 35 largest urban centres stood at $966 per month. As of the latest figures from Rentals.ca, that figure has almost doubled to a median rent of $1,811 per month for a one-bedroom.

Reporters at the Hamilton event noted that Trudeau was cutting the ribbon on an affordable housing complex at which average rents would be $1,400 a month, and where the cutoff for household income stood at $90,000. “Is this what is being considered affordable in Hamilton at this point?” asked a reporter.

It’s true that the Canadian federal government does not have direct control over the usual levers that drive Canadian housing construction. Zoning and permitting are generally decided at the municipal level, but they can be overridden by provincial mandate. Last October, for instance, the Ontario government proposed the More Homes Built Faster Act, which would kneecap the ability of cities to deny building permits.

Subsidized and affordable housing, similarly, are usually greenlit by cities or provincial legislatures – although they can be driven by federal monies, as with the Hamilton projects that Trudeau was visiting Monday.

But the federal government has not always shied away from asserting its power over policy areas that are technically supposed to be left to the provinces.

This most noticeably describes the current state of Canadian health care. Although it’s up to provinces to administer their own health-care services, the Canada Health Act uses conditional funding to tightly control what these health-care services look like.

As recently as March, the federal government was threatening to deny health funding to provinces that allowed the establishment of for-profit virtual care.

Conservative Party leader Pierre Poilievre has campaigned hard on the promise of increasing Canadian housing supply and driving down real estate prices. His plan, unveiled in March, leans heavily on the threat of denying federal funding to municipal and provincial governments who don’t meet defined federal targets on home construction.

As one plank reads, it would “require unaffordable big cities like Vancouver to increase homebuilding by 15 per cent annually or face big financial penalties and have portions of their federal funding withheld.”

The Trudeau government also retains unilateral control over one of the most conspicuous policies driving up demand for Canadian real estate: immigration. The Trudeau government has dramatically increased Canada’s immigration quotas, leading to an unprecedented one million new residents entering the country last year.

The result is a rate of national population growth that is dramatically outstripping home construction. Although home building was up for 2022, the year closed with a raw number of housing “starts” standing at only 240,590.
Ban Air BnB and the likes for starters.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada’s housing crisis “absolutely cannot” be solved without the aid of new immigrants who bring their skills here, Immigration Minister Marc Miller told reporters on Friday.

“The federal government is making housing more affordable and bringing in the skilled workers required to build more homes,” Miller said in Montreal.

“Without those skilled workers coming from outside Canada, we absolutely cannot build the homes and meet the demand that exists currently today.”

Miller was asked by reporters if he was considering slashing Canada’s immigration targets, which are currently at historic highs, in response to a recent Bank of Canada report that new immigrants are adding to housing demand.

The minister said he was not.
“People coming to this country are resourceful. When they bring capital, they are able to acquire houses,” he said.

“If people are asking us to slash, what does that mean? Does that mean slashing the skilled workers that we need to actually build those houses? Slash family reunification, which can be devastating for the mental health and well-being of the families that are already here?” Damn the torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead!!”
Canada aims to welcome 451,000 new immigrants in 2024.

By 2025, the number is expected to go up to 500,000 new immigrants in one year.

Miller said around 60 per cent of new immigrants to Canada are economic migrants, many of whom are the kind of skilled workers needed to build more housing. Family reunification visas account for around 20 per cent of those migrating. The rest, he said, are refugees and asylum seekers.

“We have a humanitarian duty towards people that are fleeing war and persecution,” Miller said.

Last week, a spokesperson from Miller’s office told Global News that fulfilling Canada’s labour shortages is one of his key priorities, and a key goal of the government’s immigration targets.

“Strategies like Express Entry, and the historic Immigration Levels Plan, which is largely made up of economic migrants, are a great asset to our nation as they will directly help combat the ongoing labour shortage. This is especially true when it comes to the housing sector,” Bahoz Dara Aziz, press secretary to the immigration minister, told Global News.

“With provinces like Ontario needing 100,000 workers to meet their housing demands, it is clear that immigration will play a strong role in creating more homes for Canadians.”

The federal government increased its immigration targets in November 2022, and Miller has suggested those targets may need to keep rising.

The construction industry is short tens of thousands of workers, and experts say a coming wave of retirements could make the problem worse. Meanwhile, Canada is millions of homes behind what’s needed to reach housing affordability this decade.

The job vacancy rate in construction is at a record high with around 80,000 vacancies in the industry, CIBC deputy chief economist Benjamin Tal said in a recent note.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Can’t. Just try and get a building permit in a timely manner. Where I live 6 months is about average to build a single family home. A big subdivision here is 50 lots. That takes around 2 years for permits after getting approved. Then you get to clear the ground and put in services.then you can sell lots.
various government agencies have made an industry out of permits.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

To be fair, TurdOWE probably didn’t know housing was not his mandate when he was electioneering. He most likely thought that as dicktator, he could wavy his little wand and the peons would make it happen.
and, of course the Liberal party has a track record of downloading costs when even they can’t stomach the cost of one of their vote buys schemes.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Conservative Party leader Pierre Poilievre has campaigned hard on the promise of increasing Canadian housing supply and driving down real estate prices. His plan, unveiled in March, leans heavily on the threat of denying federal funding to municipal and provincial governments who don’t meet defined federal targets on home construction

this explains why so many left leaning city councils don’t like conservatives.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Canada’s housing crisis “absolutely cannot” be solved without the aid of new immigrants who bring their skills here, Immigration Minister Marc Miller told reporters on Friday.

“The federal government is making housing more affordable and bringing in the skilled workers required to build more homes,” Miller said in Montreal.

“Without those skilled workers coming from outside Canada, we absolutely cannot build the homes and meet the demand that exists currently today.”

Miller was asked by reporters if he was considering slashing Canada’s immigration targets, which are currently at historic highs, in response to a recent Bank of Canada report that new immigrants are adding to housing demand.

“People coming to this country are resourceful. When they bring capital, they are able to acquire houses,” he said.

“If people are asking us to slash, what does that mean? Does that mean slashing the skilled workers that we need to actually build those houses? Slash family reunification, which can be devastating for the mental health and well-being of the families that are already here?” Damn the torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead!!”

Miller said around 60 per cent of new immigrants to Canada are economic migrants, many of whom are the kind of skilled workers needed to build more housing. Family reunification visas account for around 20 per cent of those migrating. The rest, he said, are refugees and asylum seekers.

“We have a humanitarian duty towards people that are fleeing war and persecution,” Miller said.

Last week, a spokesperson from Miller’s office told Global News that fulfilling Canada’s labour shortages is one of his key priorities, and a key goal of the government’s immigration targets.

“Strategies like Express Entry, and the historic Immigration Levels Plan, which is largely made up of economic migrants, are a great asset to our nation as they will directly help combat the ongoing labour shortage. This is especially true when it comes to the housing sector,” Bahoz Dara Aziz, press secretary to the immigration minister, told Global News.

“With provinces like Ontario needing 100,000 workers to meet their housing demands, it is clear that immigration will play a strong role in creating more homes for Canadians.”

The federal government increased its immigration targets in November 2022, and Miller has suggested those targets may need to keep rising.

The construction industry is short tens of thousands of workers, and experts say a coming wave of retirements could make the problem worse. Meanwhile, Canada is millions of homes behind what’s needed to reach housing affordability this decade.

The job vacancy rate in construction is at a record high with around 80,000 vacancies in the industry, CIBC deputy chief economist Benjamin Tal said in a recent note.
Wigwams tents and teepees . No problem .

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Incompetence Minister Miller seems rot have lost site of the fact that all these homes would not be needed if we were not bringing in so many immigrants. This massive spending spree, most of which is borrowed money is only to create the illusion of a robust economy, when in fact Canada is close to bankruptcy. Certain connected people will make out like the bandits they are, while everyone else starves.

Reactions: bob the dog

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Incompetence Minister Miller seems rot have lost site of the fact that all these homes would not be needed if we were not bringing in so many immigrants. This massive spending spree, most of which is borrowed money is only to create the illusion of a robust economy, when in fact Canada is close to bankruptcy. Certain connected people will make out like the bandits they are, while everyone else starves.
Are you starving?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

What a moron!