Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes (video)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes

Canada Alberta Calgary Floods June 20, 2013 - YouTube

As many as 100,000 residents of Calgary, Alberta, could face evacuation because of flooding, the director of emergency management said early Friday.

Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued for 20 communities, Bruce Burrell said. Parts of of southern Alberta face rising floodwaters and the possibility of more rain.

The levels of the Bow and Elbow rivers are expected to peak overnight, but not drop until late Saturday at the earliest, he said.

"I have never experienced any flooding of this magnitude," he added.

There have been no initial reports of deaths or injuries.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said military assets, including helicopters, have been deployed to assist local emergency officials with rescue and evacuation efforts.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those families who have been affected by the serious flooding in Calgary and Southern Alberta," Harper said, adding that "any and all possible assistance" would be provided by the federal government.

A state of emergency was in effect for Calgary, according to a news release from the city. Police and fire officials were driving through communities, broadcasting the evacuation order over loudspeakers. Residents were being asked to mark their homes with an "X" to indicate they had evacuated.

The news release said the level of the Elbow and Bow Rivers had risen significantly.

source: Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes - CNN.com

House Smashes Against Bridge | Bragg Creek Alberta Flood 20/06/2013 - YouTube

June 20th 2013 - An Entire House can be seen Smashing against a Bridge after floating down Bragg River.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Climate change obviously caused by the oil sands exploitation. Gaia is wreaking vengeance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I feel for those who lost everything.

He's poking fun JLM.

Yep, insurance companies have a way of ducking their responsibility when it comes to flood damage. I suppose if all damage here was compensated for, many ins. companies would be declaring bankruptcy.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
some will collect premiums but not tell you that you aren't covered until something happens. This is criminal because if a homeowner is under the belief that they are covered, they may not take other measures including moving, or finding another insurance company.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
some will collect premiums but not tell you that you aren't covered until something happens. This is criminal because if a homeowner is under the belief that they are covered, they may not take other measures including moving, or finding another insurance company.
Tell you? Aren't you supposed to read a contract before signing it?

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
absolutely, reading a contract is your best defense. unfortunately the insurance company's definition of the words used aren't always the same as a layman's definition.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think that there will be some real losses for a number of folks.

10-15 mm expected for today and just announced that the schools are closed
There will be some here too making claims after a massive dump yesterday. I finally refinished my basement last winter after flooding in 2011.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yep, I suppose if a guy was smart he wouldn't buy or build until he found out what coverage he could get.
The soil will tell you everything you need to know about flood risk if you take the time to sample.

absolutely, reading a contract is your best defense. unfortunately the insurance company's definition of the words used aren't always the same as a layman's definition.
Then don't use layman's terms when reading it.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
my best recommendation is: write up your top 6 or so nasty scenarios, and get your insurance company to officially comment on where your policy says you are covered.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I wouldn't 'ask'. Unless you have something in writing, you aren't going to be in a good legal position if things turn sour for you.

Btw, what exactly is an 'act of god'? ie is it really an 'act of god' if someone can show that god visits their community several times per decade? LOL

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you don't ask, or read the policy, just assume you aren't covered for flood.

You may have a hard time determining the 200 year flood level unless it was quite recent.

Les Gilbert's very appropriate moniker for him!
Not at all. The soil doesn't lie and can nail it right to the month of a year that a flood happened.

Who is him?