Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes (video)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Btw, what exactly is an 'act of god'? ie is it really an 'act of god' if someone can show that god visits their community several times per decade? LOL

That would certainly have the religious fanantics stuttering and stammering! -:)

If you don't ask, or read the policy, just assume you aren't covered for flood.

Not at all. The soil doesn't lie and can nail it right to the month of a year that a flood happened.

Who is him?

I don't particularly want to get him flared up again. Let's just say I rec'd a "red" from him this morning as usual.

Last edited:

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Climate change obviously caused by the oil sands exploitation. Gaia is wreaking vengeance.

Walter- could you please stop the inane trolling? This is a disaster area.

Regardless of the causes & the lack of preparation here in Calgary, at least a dozen posters are telling you to 'pack it '

There were similar (albeit not quite as severe) in 2005 around this same time... Pretty much any community along either of the rivers is being affected

Good point...
I really feel for people trapped by the water.
However, the proposed elbow river high dam at Powderface ridge was 'voted out' in the 1970's- and it was proposed to hold back this sort of flood plus store water for the inevitable dry cycles that are coming.

As was the Bow Valley flood control dam. We either have to rethink water control in Alberta, or move out of the floodplains.

BTW,I was at the opening of the twin Valley dam on the Little bow in2001.
The planning engineer was 'Swarmed' by environments groups during the planning sessions. so instead of Four impoundments on a glacial outwash valley, PLUS a diversion sluice on the Highwood river we got one dam, a small feeder canal- and our fingers crossed.

Well, maybe now we build the stuff we need.....

Peewee?

Or ask.

I believe he means walter......

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I believe he means walter......

Yep, there are probably 100 thousand people right now who are just feeling "sick", and jokes don't help them much.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I just heard on the radio that there is water up to row 10 in the Saddledome. Not sure if its accurate but if so that is a pretty bad situation.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yep, insurance companies have a way of ducking their responsibility when it comes to flood damage. I suppose if all damage here was compensated for, many ins. companies would be declaring bankruptcy.

I think the Province of Alberta will have to bail people out of this mess being they declared a state of emergency..

It's not like they don't have enough money..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I could be wrong, but the state of emergency declarations have been 'local state of emergency', ie., city government declarations, not provincial.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I could be wrong, but the state of emergency declarations have been 'local state of emergency', ie., city government declarations, not provincial.

Yes you're correct, but I still think the province should and will help out financially..

Last time there was flooding in Calgary I was living in Crossfield, AB, when I returned to Calgary, I picked the high ground at the base of nose hill park on the 3rd floor walk up..

Don't people look at history of flooding before they build or buy a residence?? I feel sad for those people, and have driven down to see the flooded areas which is really, really bad.. but where is the common sense not to build on the banks of the Bow River that has a nasty habit of flooding every year..

The province needs to bail these people out, but I also wonder about personal responsibility for bad choices too.

Nose Hill Park (highest point in Calgary)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If I buy an established home, I generally trust that city planning and infrastructure knows/knew more about the safety of the area than I do. I'm not gonna bash on people who put similar trust in a city.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
(This rain really screws with my DirecTV signal.. God no TV)

If I buy an established home, I generally trust that city planning and infrastructure knows/knew more about the safety of the area than I do. I'm not gonna bash on people who put similar trust in a city.

...trust the city, and toss common sense out the window, is that what your saying Karrie?? Boy do I have some land to sell you.. this nice parcel of land that sits right on the banks of the Mississippi.. ;)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
(This rain really screws with my DirecTV signal.. God no TV)

...trust the city, and toss common sense out the window.. buy do I have some land to sell you.. this nice parcel of land that sits right on the banks of the Mississippi.. ;)

The only time I haven't owned on high ground was when I lived in the Peace River Valley outside of Fort St John, down at the sight of the original fort. But we were far back from the water, with good insurance and ample time to evacuate, and the area hadn't seen flooding in decades.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The only time I haven't owned on high ground was when I lived in the Peace River Valley outside of Fort St John, down at the sight of the original fort. But we were far back from the water, with good insurance and ample time to evacuate, and the area hadn't seen flooding in decades.

o.k. I'm out the door I'll post some pics of the flooding as I have to go down towards that area now..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

While an established house should ensure some safety, you want to be careful, check to see if drainage patterns have been changed over the years or removal of substantial vegetation.

Oh you have HughesNet? (or the Canadian equivalent?)

Shaw

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

I'm not in the flood areas. The Flood control dams on a. the Elbow b. the Highwood, and c, the Bow river were blocked bY :
a Inane environmentalists
B Misguided environmentalist's
C. The Stony first Nation.

For between 40 and 12 years, at least.

WE ROLLED THE DICE UNTIL IT SNAKE- EYED.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
What's the word I'm looking for...oh, yeah...no.

I remember helping folks clean out their basements in 1974 after Cambridge ON was devastated by the flooding Grand River and the only thing that got the people through this tough time was humor. Oh yeah another term for hun dolt, "Up yours." Now that's funny.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Watching CTV Calgary right now - the Saddle dome is flooded up to the 13th row, Stampede grounds under water, Calgary downtown flooded, Calgary zoo flooded - Canmore, High River and other towns flooded, numerous roads in the province shut down - this is a major disaster for Alberta and my thoughts and prayers are with all those effected by the flooding.

I know when it poured here all day Wednesday, my computer was slower than molasses.

Same thing happens with my satellite reception, JLM. We haven't had a day in over two weeks when it hasn't rained here though we are luckier than folks in Alta as water levels are stable. Some of our local creeks are higher than they have been in many years as is Canim Lake but no flooding so far. We are still waiting for the snow in the mountains around us to melt.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
What's the word I'm looking for...oh, yeah...no.

I remember helping folks clean out their basements in 1974 after Cambridge ON was devastated by the flooding Grand River and the only thing that got the people through this tough time was humor. Oh yeah another term for hun dolt, "Up yours." Now that's funny.

The group consensus is that you are a 'disaster troll' trying to get a rise out of posters.
Ain't working, "pee wee/"