Bush’s Iraq syndrome

Démocrite

Nominee Member
Jun 1, 2004
Now we understand that the United States is not the most civilized country in the world, and is not the chief source of democracy.

Because they led the resistance to communism and tyranny in the second half of the 20th century, the present United States came to the conclusion that the country was chosen by God to lead the world to His will

I agree with you. The great empire is strong but shows at the same time signs of tiredness. Rationalising torture is one way to lead the empire to barbary and to its fall.

The US have become an old man going bald.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
A civil war in Russia would be sufficient. Both sides would be likely to possess at least tactical nuclear capability, and neither side would yield so long as possessing the means to resist. The fallout comes down with the rainfall, all around the world.

"A cooling system burns out in the Ukraine.
Trees and umbrellas protect us from the metal rain.
Armies of engineers to analyze the soil.
The food we contemplate, the water that we boil.
I can't run, but I can walk much faster than this."

--Paul Simon

LuShes, may I have this dance?

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
*slips on her dancing shoes*

Well dinosaurs never lasted, and neither will we. In 20,000 years, we will have another species populating the earth. Maybe not human looking. Prehaps they will be digging us up and studying how we onced lived. Or running around eating each other.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I'm not sure the US is at the peak of her strength, by any stretch. In the final analysis, a country is really only as strong as the minds and hearts of its citizens, regardless of how much an overt display of military strength might suggest otherwise.

Americans have become, to a large extent, slugs: fat, mind-numbed from television, drugged by prescriptive drugs guaranteed to keep a man from noticing that his life is in shambles, kept in constant fear by a government who understands the benefits of such fear, grossly undereducated even while holding a degree, blindly accepting of political insight garnered by Bush's personal news service FoxNews, and willing to lose all civil liberties in the name of a freedom they never really had. They're clinging to their rifles as a symbol of that freedom and looking the other way as every other hard-earned right is stripped away. Americans are losing a war they don't even know they're fighting, against a government with an agenda that does not remotely include consideration of its own citizens.

Canadians, with the constant (and happily welcomed by too many) bombardment of American values via television, are catching up to Americans.

So perhaps a quesition might be, can a country really be considered strong when its citizens are not?

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Haggis McBagpipe said:
I'm not sure the US is at the peak of her strength, by any stretch. In the final analysis, a country is really only as strong as the minds and hearts of its citizens, regardless of how much an overt display of military strength might suggest otherwise.

Americans have become, to a large extent, slugs: fat, mind-numbed from television, drugged by prescriptive drugs guaranteed to keep a man from noticing that his life is in shambles, kept in constant fear by a government who understands the benefits of such fear, grossly undereducated even while holding a degree, blindly accepting of political insight garnered by Bush's personal news service FoxNews, and willing to lose all civil liberties in the name of a freedom they never really had. They're clinging to their rifles as a symbol of that freedom and looking the other way as every other hard-earned right is stripped away. Americans are losing a war they don't even know they're fighting, against a government with an agenda that does not remotely include consideration of its own citizens.

Canadians, with the constant (and happily welcomed by too many) bombardment of American values via television, are catching up to Americans.

So perhaps a quesition might be, can a country really be considered strong when its citizens are not?

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make, Haggis.

Seems to me that Canada may even exceed the US in some respects, if 'weakness' is how you define it.

While the idea of the military itself as defining as the stregnth of a nation is, as you say, no indicator of the actual stregnth, the lack of a competent military is indicative of another kind of weakness.

Canada's military was more concerned with who was to pay for a sex change operation.

Speaking of the military, Canada has not met it's NATO obligations for quite some time.

Canada couldn't even provide proper boots for it's 'battle ready' troops in Afghanistan.

Canada's version of socialized medicine, while an admirable idea, hasn't stopped the flow of Canadians into the US for treatment or surgery. In fact, the numbers crossing the border have increased.

Canada has legitamized gay marriage, despite polls showing the majority of Canadians of all stripes and religions oppose the idea.

Religious leaders of all stripes may be subjected to 'hate laws' when preaching from their religious texts (so much for civil liberties).

Canada's legislative cost is much higher than in the US. The cost per taxpayer is considerably higher in Canada-- which has a per capita greater sized government. Canada actually has 6.8 more representatives per capita.

Canadians give only a fraction of the amount to charity their U.S. counterparts do -- $743 on average versus $3,302.'

I could go on and on, of course-- but my point is, throwing stones at sweeping generalities is a pointless endeavor.

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
There is no perfect country. There is no perfect human. No perfect citizen. Though I do like Haggis' point.

Yes I agree Canada is so Americanized now it makes me sick. Well alot of countries are now. It's sad...so many cultures are being lost. It's just like that game board "Risk" All being assimilated!

Just call me number #7, from teh collective Borg ;) lol

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
researchok said:
I have a question for you, Lushes....

What makes a Canadian, a CANADIAN?

And thats why this site is here ;)

Reconizing Canadian values, polictics, religions, habitat, food, and life.

Recipe site on Canadian Content is based on all Canadian foods, even some dated back to the 1800's, with traditional foods from the war.

But basically what Canadians are now...is what I describe as a "Heinz 57" A little bit everything thrown in. We are so multi-cultural now, with alot of American influence, it's hard to tell what from what anymore. We are good people, and hold our pride, and thats what matters.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
LuShes said:
researchok said:

Recipe site on Canadian Content is based on all Canadian foods, even some dated back to the 1800's, with traditional foods from the war.

But basically what Canadians are now...is what I describe as a "Heinz 57" A little bit everything thrown in. We are so multi-cultural now, with alot of American influence, it's hard to tell what from what anymore. We are good people, and hold our pride, and thats what matters.

Well, I grew up in Canada-- and we had the same thoughts in the 70's and 80's (I moved to US in early 90's-- still a proud Canadian I might add-- but for reasons diferent than you might think.).

Is multiculturalism so bad? I'm curious as to your opinion.

Démocrite

Nominee Member
Jun 1, 2004
Americans have become, to a large extent, slugs: fat, mind-numbed from television, drugged by prescriptive drugs guaranteed to keep a man from noticing that his life is in shambles, kept in constant fear by a government who understands the benefits of such fear, grossly undereducated even while holding a degree, blindly accepting of political insight garnered by Bush's personal news service FoxNews, and willing to lose all civil liberties in the name of a freedom they never really had.

This is a caricature of reality. This is contrary to the truth. One out of two science Nobel recipient is American.

Everything we now know about Americans torturing Iraqis comes from American journalists who did their critical tasks (60 minutes issued the first pictures, followed by the Washington Post and the New-Yorker). The New-York Times disapproved of the war in Iraq from the beginning. There are lots of intelligent people in the US, don't fool ourselves with chauvinistic pride.

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
researchok said:
LuShes said:
researchok said:

Well, I grew up in Canada-- and we had the same thoughts in the 70's and 80's (I moved to US in early 90's-- still a proud Canadian I might add-- but for reasons diferent than you might think.).

Is multiculturalism so bad? I'm curious as to your opinion.

No multi-culturalism is not so bad. It shows Canada and the United States are more open minded in allowing to share their country to whom ever. Two heads are better than one, we have learned so much from other countries its great. Different foods, and cultures.
But its also good to remember your roots ;)

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
This is a caricature of reality. This is contrary to the truth. One out of two science Nobel recipient is American.

Everything we now know about Americans torturing Iraqis comes from American journalists who did their critical tasks (60 minutes issued the first pictures, followed by the Washington Post and the New-Yorker). The New-York Times disapproved of the war in Iraq from the beginning. There are lots of intelligent people in the US, don't fool ourselves with chauvinistic pride.[/quote]

Of course, you're right.

FYI, it was actually the Penatgon that first published the Abu Ghraib allegations.

As a Canadian living in the US now, I came here feeling 'superior', I admit.

After living here for a while, I can say that from my vantage point, Americans are essentially a good people. We may not always agree (as is natural) but how do you degrade a people (or government for that matter) that gives more away to help others than anyone else?

What bothers me here is the level of vitriol displayed against Americans. It's childish and immature.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
No multi-culturalism is not so bad. It shows Canada and the United States are more open minded in allowing to share their country to whom ever. Two heads are better than one, we have learned so much from other countries its great. Different foods, and cultures.
But its also good to remember your roots ;)[/quote]

My only real issue is the negative aspect of it all-- that is to say, that to be a good Canadian, somehow it is incumbent to bash the US.

By the way, the BEST Reagan funeral eulogy was given by Mulroony. He was very classy, very Canadian.

Made me proud!

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
researchok: I love but hate everyone. I love everyone because you can learn something new from every person you meet. I rather be open minded, than a grumpy old *&^$^ close minded person.

What I mostly hate is just human nature in general.