Breaking : Cdn news

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I think it might depend who you listen to. Locally that was a problem we had. I'd heard of other issues elsewhere so...

Maybe overall it went okay, but maybe I'm also being biased since I despise Higgs.
Your honesty is delightfully refreshing. ;-)

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Actually I said our PREMIER suggested nurses move out west if they wanted more money than they currently make in NB, despite doing the same jobs as those in Alberta.
My point was people don't WANT to have to move.
And we DON'T want to be bailed out. By the way, it's not just "oil" dollars... stop with that whole BS that's all where it goes to.
But successive governments do SFA to even try to bring NB up to a level that's helpful.

Sounds like he wants to get spending under control, why are the nurses asking for more money than the province can afford? You can't make the same money as Alberta nurses without taking Petro bucks from Have Oil provinces period.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Sounds like he wants to get spending under control, why are the nurses asking for more money than the province can afford? You can't make the same money as Alberta nurses without taking Petro bucks from Have Oil provinces period.

There's not enough nurses in NB as it is, because it won't offer up reasonable wages compared to the rest of Canada. NB has the lowest pay rate for nurses anywhere.

It's worse for Nursing Home Workers.

It's not a matter of spending. It's hellishly more complicated than just 'cut and don't spend'.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I work my ass off every year, pay my taxes every year and it's not enough.
It won't ever be.
Just like a lot of others in the province.
We've had mismanagement with every government elected since I can remember, both Liberal and Con - since that's ALL that's ever elected to be Premier here - and not ONE of them has done anything to fix the bail out issue.
So no, I DON'T grudgingly or otherwise accept it year over year over year. I've tried to vote for people who wanted to end this BS. Took me a long time to realize that there are certain people who don't want it to end, and THOSE people are the ones in power.
They'd rather take the hand-outs than do what they need to do.
Part of the problem of NB is the French and English split. Every election you can almost guarantee the results because French vote Liberal, English vote Conservative, with only a few rare cases diverging.
But it's also one of those you gotta live here to get it things. Pretty sure very few here will give a shit, they just think we can up and stop getting the Fed help.
More probably most of them are convinced federal help will come forever so there is no need to worry.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Actually we didn't in some areas.
Mine, for example, had a Liberal observer think they were part of the elections board, as well as election workers themselves, tell local students they couldn't/weren't allowed to vote when they had every right to..
Students had to call the board office and complain, as well as our local MLA who got right on it and made sure they knew they were allowed to vote.
Not sure if it was from improper training or what but our area doesn't need a reputation that it has issues with Students voting considering the student numbers we have.
Could be either/both. Election training is rushed and there are only a few people that do it often enough to really understand the rules. I once got screwed out of voting because no one in the polling place I got to understood the rules even though I tried to explain it to them. Didn't even have a copy of all the rules there. Our riding is about 3 hrs drive from end to end and I simply didn't have time to drive all the way home.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Or the cost of living that goes with it. The federal government has different pay scales for the same job in different regions based on the Cost of Living.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There's not enough nurses in NB as it is, because it won't offer up reasonable wages compared to the rest of Canada. NB has the lowest pay rate for nurses anywhere.
It's not a matter of spending. It's hellishly more complicated than just 'cut and don't spend'.
Not enough nurses in BC either. But as I mentioned above the cost of living eats up the higher wage and then some. Don't expect your local union leaders to mention it though.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

On average it looks like you are making more than Ont. and Que. a couple of bucks less than BC and Sask. and the same as the rest of the Atlantic coast. But yeah let's get paid on the high end of the scale since your province is getting money from them anyway, phuck 'em good

https://www.livingin-canada.com/salaries-for-registered-nurses.html

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
On average it looks like you are making more than Ont. and Que. a couple of bucks less than BC and Sask. and the same as the rest of the Atlantic coast. But yeah let's get paid on the high end of the scale since your province is getting money from them anyway, phuck 'em good

https://www.livingin-canada.com/salaries-for-registered-nurses.html

Wasn't talking just RN's... Higgs said this to an LPN but I suppose to you the LPN's aren't nurses?

Not asking for high end either.

But I know it won't matter to you.

The PC's will, as they always do. shit on NB. Just like the Liberals would have if they'd gotten into power.

Guess you guys will have to keep paying us out, even if we don't like it. (not that you believe that but then you are a fuking moron)

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Wasn't talking just RN's... Higgs said this to an LPN but I suppose to you the LPN's aren't nurses?
The PC's will, as they always do. shit on NB. Just like the Liberals would have if they'd gotten into power.
Guess you guys will have to keep paying us out, even if we don't like it. (not that you believe that but then you are a fuking moron)

You asked for Alta's wages which is the 3rd highest rate, you are $2/hour under Canadian LPN median rate still higher than Quebec. What is the average skilled labor rate in your province? More than construction labor for sure

https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Construction_Laborer/Hourly_Rate/c0e4d469/New-Brunswick-NB

From basic calculations you are around $50-55K a year equivalent to software developers, more than administration execs, retail store managers, accountants but less than executive directors average wages, not to bad for your province no?

https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/State=New_Brunswick/Salary

Oh BTW do you think you should be making more than Newfoundland? They are $3/hr higher than you and paying into equalization that your province collects from.

Last edited:

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
You asked for Alta's wages which is the 3rd highest rate, you are $2/hour under Canadian LPN median rate still higher than Quebec. What is the average skilled labor rate in your province? More than construction labor for sure

Didn't ask for Alberta's wages. You obviously missed the entire effing point of the post originally. It's not about what people make in Alberta, it's that our own Goddamn Premier is telling people to move to Alberta if they don't like what they make here.

Sorry that concept seems to be okay for you - for a lot of us who live in NB, and love our province, that was beyond disgusting.

My other point was that if that's the mentality of our new government, people out west can STFU about people here moving out there. Have an issue with it, talk to our leadership and the fukheads who keep electing the assholes, not those of us who stay behind and work our asses off because we might love our province.

Oh BTW do you think you should be making more than Newfoundland? They are $3/hr higher than you and paying into equalization that your province collects from.

You know what, you keep being an effing moron. I've answered this question, asking it different ways will not change the goddamn answer.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Actually I said our PREMIER suggested nurses move out west if they wanted more money than they currently make in NB, despite doing the same jobs as those in Alberta.
My point was people don't WANT to have to move.
And we DON'T want to be bailed out. By the way, it's not just "oil" dollars... stop with that whole BS that's all where it goes to.
But successive governments do SFA to even try to bring NB up to a level that's helpful.
Didn't ask for Alberta's wages. You obviously missed the entire effing point of the post originally. It's not about what people make in Alberta, it's that our own Goddamn Premier is telling people to move to Alberta if they don't like what they make here.
Sorry that concept seems to be okay for you - for a lot of us who live in NB, and love our province, that was beyond disgusting.
My other point was that if that's the mentality of our new government, people out west can STFU about people here moving out there. Have an issue with it, talk to our leadership and the fukheads who keep electing the assholes, not those of us who stay behind and work our asses off because we might love our province.
You know what, you keep being an effing moron. I've answered this question, asking it different ways will not change the goddamn answer.

But you are asking for more money, I pointed out top end (Alberta) as a RN, then you said LPN, I responded 3rd highest (Alberta), how much of a raise that your province can't afford are you looking for?

Is it fair to ask for money from NFLD (have province paying into equalization) and ask for higher wages than they pay for their nurses?

Any raise will be by Petro buck or by borrowing since your province is carrying a deficit, by calling me a phucking moron will not change the fact.

p.s. I have never called you a derogatory name, why the need to call me one when you are trying to side step a simple question of how much of a raise are you looking for?

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
One bad thing about healthcare remuneration is that the money attracts people who wouldn;t do the job for anything other than money and the profession is watered down. Nurses used to be interested in nursing and the pay was secondary.

Thing about how much they make is that the next layer up always bases their package on the lower range package so they don't really care. Patients are commodities.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
The thing about healthcare is that they never have enough people.