Breaking : Cdn news

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
LINK

Here is the full list of cabinet appointments:
Chrystia Freeland becomes deputy prime minister and minister of intergovernmental affairs
Anita Anand becomes minister of public services and procurement
Navdeep Bains becomes minister of innovation, science and industry
Carolyn Bennett remains minister of Crown-Indigenous relations
Marie-Claude Bibeau remains minister of agriculture and agri-food
Bill Blair becomes minister of public safety and emergency preparedness
Bardish Chagger becomes minister of diversity, inclusion and youth
François-Philippe Champagne becomes minister of foreign affairs
Jean-Yves Duclos becomes president of the Treasury Board
Mona Fortier becomes minister of middle-class prosperity and associate minister of finance
Marc Garneau remains minister of transport
Karina Gould becomes minister of international development
Steven Guilbeault becomes minister of Canadian heritage
Patty Hajdu becomes minister of health
Ahmed Hussen becomes minister of families, children and social development
Mélanie Joly becomes minister of economic development and official languages
Bernadette Jordan becomes minister of fisheries, oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
David Lametti remains minister of justice and attorney general of Canada
Dominic LeBlanc becomes president of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada
Diane Lebouthillier remains minister of national revenue
Lawrence MacAulay remains minister of veterans affairs and associate minister of national defence
Catherine McKenna becomes minister of infrastructure and communities
Marco E. L. Mendicino becomes minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship
Marc Miller becomes minister of Indigenous services
Maryam Monsef becomes minister of women and gender equality and rural economic development
Bill Morneau remains minister of finance
Joyce Murray becomes minister of digital government
Mary Ng becomes minister of small business, export promotion and international trade
Seamus O’Regan becomes minister of natural resources
Carla Qualtrough becomes minister of employment, workforce development and disability inclusion
Pablo Rodriguez becomes leader of the government in the House of Commons
Harjit Sajjan remains minister of national defence
Deb Schulte becomes minister of seniors
Filomena Tassi becomes minister of labour
Dan Vandal becomes minister of northern affairs
Jonathan Wilkinson becomes minister of environment and climate change
Trudeau also named several other appointments that are not technically part of the cabinet.
Pablo Rodriguez becomes Quebec lieutenant
Jim Carr becomes special adviser for the Prairies
Kirsty Duncan becomes deputy leader of the government in the House of Commons
Mark Holland remains chief government whip
Ginette Petitpas Taylor becomes deputy government whip
Kevin Lamoureux becomes parliamentary secretary to the leader of the government in the House of Commons

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Trudeau 2.0: Je ne regrette rien

Today we have naming of parts. If you have a minister of middle-class prosperity and a minister of economic development and an entirely separate minister of rural economic development and a minister of workforce development—remember when the workforce was part of the economy? Ok, boomer—and a minister of small business and a minister of finance and a minister of industry and a treasury-board president, who’s running the economy?

It’s a trick question, of course. None of them is. Differences among them will be settled at the Block Formerly Known as Langevin, from whence emissaries will be dispatched to inform the eight economic ministers of their opinions. Just as emissaries were dispatched, 14 times, a year ago to inform the attorney general of her opinion on the proper conduct of criminal trials.

A multiply redundant federal cabinet will quickly become a pretext for central control even if that wasn’t the point of building it that way, because none of the title-holders holds enough of the elephant to discern its shape, let alone influence its path. A lot of European countries have a minister of finance, who writes budgets, and a minister of the economy, who here would once have been called the minister of industry. But Justin Trudeau has always preferred a multiplicity of inputs without worrying too much about results, and this does not seem to have much changed.

(An important exception: Two ministers who were never persuasive, Kristy Duncan at science and Ginette Petitpas-Taylor at health, have been bounced out to parliamentary roles, deputy government leader and deputy whip. This is unfortunate on compassionate grounds—Duncan in particular tried her hardest, all the time—but it’s a fair call.)

I wrote here two weeks ago that the Liberals were coming to think of themselves as the big winners of October’s election, and that it would not make them particularly prone to change their ways. That’s their right; Andrew Scheer and Jagmeet Singh and Elizabeth May took turns visiting Trudeau to insist he implement their election platforms, and it would hardly do for the Liberals to be the only apologetic party in the Commons. But it’s also turning into a handy guide for predicting Trudeau’s actions. Almost everyone in his shuffled cabinet won a larger margin of victory in their ridings in 2019 than in 2015. They feel like, after everything that happened this year, they won big. Meanwhile Jane Philpott is between jobs, Jody Wilson-Raybould will have lots of time to inspect the drapes at the back of the Commons, and Chrystia Freeland is deputy prime minister. This is a valuable lesson in the rewards for staying in line.

So Navdeep Bains, the architect of a perfectly incomprehensible supercluster strategy, will be responsible for not fixing it. Jean-Yves Duclos, the nicest man in this government, will be responsible for enforcing fiscal rigour at treasury board, which means there won’t be any. Some changes are puzzling: Jim Carr was minister for trade diversification for about a year. He was the first minister with that title. Now there is no minister for trade diversification (the title hasn’t been given to anyone else while he concentrates on his health). What changed? You may say titles don’t matter. I would be glad to agree. But then why is the government still generating twee portfolio names around the clock?

Other changes are encouraging. Patty Hajdu is a confident, activist minister with an independent streak. Finding her at health is encouraging. It’s not clear what can be done about the opioid crisis, which killed an estimated 1,082 Canadians in the first three months of this year and has killed about 1/3 as many, since 2016, as died in World War II. It can confidently be predicted that Hajdu will set to work immediately.

About Freeland at intergovernmental affairs, it may be best to reserve judgment. In the 1970s and 1980s, people in that job had clout because they were negotiating major constitutional change and therefore had something to offer. This government hasn’t done much bargaining. It’s not clear how much manoeuvring room it has.

On that score, I would be worried, if I were a Liberal, about Steve Guilbeault at Canadian heritage. Most of the French-language questions to Trudeau on Wednesday were about the apparent snub of Guilbeault, a career environmental activist who isn’t the environment minister. Every time the Trudeau government sins against ecological virtue, there will be a chorus calling on Guilbeault to resign on principle. He begins to look like Amanda Simard, the franco-Ontarian who was a member of Doug Ford’s governing Ontario caucus until she wasn’t.

(That Guilbeault does not seem to be any kind of devotee of the performing arts is a second-tier concern, although I do recall that Bloc Québécois leader Yves-François Blanchet used to work in the recording industry and still knows Quebec’s cultural industries well. So for the Liberals’ sake, Guilbeault had better take a briefing well.)

A last word on David Lametti, who remains the justice minister and attorney general. Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion noted that the first time a government staffer wrote to Jody Wilson-Raybould’s office to ask why she wasn’t ordering a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) for SNC-Lavalin was in mid-August of last year, seven weeks after the 2018 Budget Implementation Act received royal assent, making such settlements legally possible. So, seven weeks after DPAs become an option, Ben Chin at Bill Morneau’s office wrote to Wilson-Raybould’s office to ask, what the heck, why no deal?

This is interesting because David Lametti has now been Canada’s attorney general for 10 months. Every day he does not order the Public Prosecution Service of Canada to issue a DPA is a day on which his policy is functionally identical to Wilson-Raybould’s. The PMO and Morneau’s office pushed Wilson-Raybould repeatedly to change her mind. Lametti is getting all the time in the world. Is it because he’s a man? Is it because he quickly learned she had very good reasons to make the decision she did? Life is full of mysteries.

www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/trudeau-2-0-je-ne-regrette-rien/

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Minister of Middle Class Prosperity?? Anyone have clue what exactly this is all about?
I laughed out loud when I heard that.
Is there a Minister of Poor People?
No?
I guess that they don't get out and vote, enough.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Minister of Middle Class Prosperity?? Anyone have clue what exactly this is all about?
Those in the middle and those working hard to join them , and a ministers salary , a larger staff and budget and gravy . Virtue signalling nonsense like we have seen in politics since at least Lester B.Pearson if not before .

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What is middle class in Canada? What is the official government definition of middle class in Canada? Is there one? I believe most people think they’re middle-class whether or not they actually are. It’s like the political spectrum... Most people think they are in the middle of the spectrum regardless of how far off to the left or right they actually are.

Can somebody please post a definition of middle-class from a government website (The CBC is not a government website) ??

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
What is middle class in Canada? What is the official government definition of middle class in Canada? Is there one? I believe most people think they’re middle-class whether or not they actually are. It’s like the political spectrum... Most people think they are in the middle of the spectrum regardless of how far off to the left or right they actually are.

Can somebody please post a definition of middle-class from a government website (The CBC is not a government website) ??

I sure as hell wouldn't call myself poor, but I also wouldn't call myself middle class, either.

IMO if you can pull in about 75K plus a year, you're maybe low tier middle class and that's with a two person income.

There is no middle class for a single person.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Chris Selley: 'Minister of Middle Class Prosperity' isn't a joke. It should be

Wednesday’s Cabinet shuffle featured the usual head-scratching reorganization of portfolios and outright invention of others, “bigger” being for some reason a stated goal. Joyce Murray, for example, becomes Minister of Digital Government. It has a very pre-Y2K ring to it, but then again the government in question accepts payment for access-to-information requests by cheque, and sometimes fulfills them (if at all) via CD-ROM, and it can’t manage a simple payroll system. So maybe it’s not such a bad thing to have someone on that job specifically.
Then there’s Ottawa-Vanier MP Mona Fortier’s new job. I literally assumed people were joking about the Liberals’ obsessive branding, but it’s true: No word of a lie, she is an Associate Minister of Finance and, specifically, the Minister of Middle Class Prosperity.
Should a government need a minister whose job is to ensure Canadians are prospering? One might reasonably hope that’s the goal of pretty much any minister when she rolls out of bed in the morning. But they sure don’t always act that way, so maybe a Minister for Making People Richer isn’t such a bad thing...……………………...More

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
there is also a minister of social development and poverty reduction.

the entire apparatus of the federal (and provincial) governments works for the benefit the ultra rich and always has

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
"while a vote for NDPees is useful in getting the ILLUSION of a free lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Problem is, too many people in this country want that free lunch.

Yeah.........................but THEY ARE GOING HUNGRY anyway........................

in spite of how they voted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The public will figure it out eventually!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relentless BAIT AND SWITCH IS NOT...................

a long term strategy for building a stable govt...................

nor for getting re-elected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
Haven't you applied for your very own, shiny new "Sunny Ways" picket fence and matching rainbow?

OH Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST GOT MY LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It made me SMILE just thinking about my govt issued picket fence...................

and my rainbow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously.................I need a new fence...............................................

preferably a HIGH ONE - to block out a neighbour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spilledthebeer

Executive Branch Member
Jan 26, 2017
there is also a minister of social development and poverty reduction.

the entire apparatus of the federal (and provincial) governments works for the benefit the ultra rich and always has

UH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HemerHOID is sinking DEEPER.................................

into DELUSIONAL BULLSH+T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That LIE-beral BE PANICKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!