Black Lives Matter-Ugliness of Racism.

Liberal Feminist

Time Out
May 14, 2021
I grew up with a divorced father who worked. and was the best camp cook I've ever met, and he also did the dishes and laundry built the house and all the boats, My mother was a DVM., then later, the head of a science department, so all this sounds kinda wacky to me
:)
The state would just replace every valuable thing generated by family for the family with robotic state slavery brainwashing pavlovian cheeze dog poo biscuits.
Sounds exceptional and cool.

My dad rest his soul made the best cast iron frying pan steak gravy I've ever had and nothing can replace his magic.

Again this has nothing to do with the state or national styled politics or analysis.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I did.

Still seen all the things I mentioned before.

Your fairness, trade off equality is a male spun myth pretty much.
You must be fairly young, because on the family farm up to almost the 90's everybody over the age of 5 did their fair share of work, money was thrown into a pot. The farm got the first and lion's share of it, then came the household's share, then kids schooling, after which the parents negotiated for what was left per their needs. In our household Mom put her foot down when she thought Dad was getting carried away.

My family works the same way, my wife will put the foot down if she thinks I'm getting carried away with our money, or not pulling my fair weight in household chores when I'm home from the fields.

• Sad
Reactions: Liberal Feminist

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
People hold up placards in support of the Black Lives Matter movement as they take part in the inaugural Million People March march from Notting Hill to Hyde Park in London on Aug. 30, 2020, to put pressure on the UK Government into changing the UK's institutional and systemic racism. The march is organised by The Million People Movement, and takes place on the bank holiday weekend usually associated with the Notting Hill Carnival, this year cancelled due to the coronavirus covid-19 pandemic. (Justin Tallis/AFP via Getty Images)
People hold up placards in support of the Black Lives Matter movement as they take part in the inaugural Million People March march from Notting Hill to Hyde Park in London on Aug. 30, 2020, to put pressure on the UK Government into changing the "UK's institutional and systemic racism." The march is organised by The Million People Movement, and takes place on the bank holiday weekend usually associated with the Notting Hill Carnival, this year cancelled due to the coronavirus covid-19 pandemic. (Justin Tallis/AFP via Getty Images)
US NEWS

Black Lives Matter St. Paul Founder Says He ‘Resigned’ After Learning the ‘Ugly Truth’

A Black Lives Matter chapter founder in Minnesota has resigned, claiming that the organization isn’t concerned about helping black communities or helping improve the education quality in Minneapolis, according to a video published last week.

Rashard Turner, the founder of a Black Lives Matter chapter in neighboring St. Paul, said he started the branch in 2015 but became disillusioned roughly a year after becoming “an insider” within the left-wing organization, according to a video released by TakeCharge—a group that rejects various provisions promoted by Black Lives Matter, including critical race theory-linked claims that the United States is inherently racist.

• Wow
Reactions: Danbones

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
London, Ont. principal loses post in fallout of Black Lives Matter wig-wearing allegations
Author of the article:Free Press staff
Publishing date:May 30, 2021 • 22 hours ago • 2 minute read • 43 Comments
École Secondaire Catholique Monseigneur-Bruyère, a high school in London. PHOTO: cscprovidence.ca
École Secondaire Catholique Monseigneur-Bruyère, a high school in London. PHOTO: cscprovidence.ca
Article content
Allegations raised on social media that a London high school principal wore a Black student’s shaved hair as a wig two years ago have cost him his job.

The removal of Monseigneur-Bruyère principal Luc Chartrand, confirmed by the head of the area’s French-language Catholic school board, came swiftly in the fallout of the allegations raised this weekend by Black Lives Matter London, which called for him to be removed from his post.

“We strongly condemn this type of behaviour and maintain a zero tolerance policy toward any racism, discrimination, or the appearance thereof,” Joseph Picard, education director of the Conseil Scolaire Catholique Providence, said Sunday.

“As such, we have immediately removed the principal from his current position.”

It wasn’t immediately clear whether Chartrand has been dismissed, suspended or re-assigned within the board. Attempts to reach Chartrand for comment were not successful as of mid-day Sunday.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content
Black Lives Matter London’s allegations stem from a cancer fundraiser in the spring of 2019, at which some students at Monseigneur-Bruyère shaved their heads. The group alleges Chartrand picked up some of the shaved hair of a Black student and put it on his own head.

A four-second video clip of the scene posted on social media Friday showed a man Black Lives Matter London alleges is Chartrand pick up the hair and place it on his head. The man’s action is met with surprise by the student, cheers and laughs from the crowd and one person exclaiming off camera, “Oh, that’s nasty!”

Black Lives Matter claims Chartrand then saved the unidentified student’s shaved hair, possibly with permission from the student, made it into a wig and wore it later in the year as part of a Halloween costume.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Picard, in a statement Sunday, said the school board “is aware of the video posted on Instagram regarding the conduct of one of our principals.”

Chartrand could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Black Lives Matter London says it was approached by a former student at the school who witnessed the incident and was hurt by it. The anti-Black racism group says the former student made a complaint to the school board about the incident last year.

In the two years since the incident at Monseigneur-Bruyère, Picard said the board has taken many steps to promote anti-racism and inclusion, including hiring a human rights and equity advisor and reviewing its hiring practices to ensure staff reflect the diversity of their communities.

“Despite these steps, this situation makes it clear that we have more work to do in order to establish and promote the kind of learning environment where everyone feels safe and respected,” Picard said.

“We will be taking further steps to address this issue across our board in the coming weeks and months.”

The French-language Catholic school board takes in 23 elementary and seven high schools in a wide area of Southwestern Ontario.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Concerns persist after London, Ont. principal's ouster, Black Lives Matter say
Author of the article:Heather Rivers
Publishing date:May 31, 2021 • 21 hours ago • 3 minute read
Black Lives Matter London has published this image of Luc Chartrand, former principal of Monseigneur-Bruyère, wearing what it says is a wig made of hair shaved off the head of a Black student in a fundraiser at the London high school.
Black Lives Matter London has published this image of Luc Chartrand, former principal of Monseigneur-Bruyère, wearing what it says is a wig made of hair shaved off the head of a Black student in a fundraiser at the London high school.
Article content
Questions remain after the local French-language Catholic school board ousted a city high school principal accused of wearing a Black student’s shaved hair as a wig, Black Lives Matter London activists say.

The organization posted a four-second video Friday it alleges shows Monseigneur-Bruyère Catholic secondary school principal Luc Chartrand taking the hair, chopped off at a fundraiser in the school gym, and wearing it on his head. The group also alleges he kept it for a wig he wore on Halloween.

Mexico accuses three fashion brands of cultural appropriation

Trackerdslogo
The board, Conseil scolaire catholique Providence, reacted with surprising speed, announcing on the weekend Chartrand had been removed from his post. But key questions remain, activists say:

• Was Chartrand terminated, or moved to another school or position with the board?

• Was the board previously aware of the video and alleged wig photo, both from 2019?

“I’m disappointed, but I am not surprised,” Gal Harper, a lead activist at Black Lives Matter London, said Monday about the lack of information from the board. The group has heard concerns from other students, parents and teachers at the Huron Street school, he added.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Harper said students at the school, which has a diverse student body, sent a letter to the board in June 2020 with concerns. “No action was taken,” Harper said.

Black Lives Matter London’s allegations stem from a spring 2019 cancer fundraiser, at which some Monseigneur-Bruyère students shaved their heads. The group alleges Chartrand picked up some of a Black student’s shaved hair and put it on his own head.

The short video clip posted on social media showed a man Black Lives Matter London alleges is Chartrand pick up the hair and place it on his head. The man’s action is met with surprise from the student, cheers and laughs from the crowd and one person exclaiming off camera, “Oh, that’s nasty!”

Black Lives Matter claims Chartrand then saved the unidentified student’s shaved hair, possibly with the student’s permission, made it into a wig and wore it later as part of a Halloween costume.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The school board did not answer Free Press questions Monday, but issued a statement saying “this situation makes it clear that we have more work to do in order to establish and promote the kind of learning environment where everyone feels safe and respected.”

In the two years since the incident at Monseigneur-Bruyère, education director Joseph Picard has said the board has taken steps to promote anti-racism and inclusion, including hiring a human rights and equity adviser and reviewing its hiring to ensure staff reflect the diversity of their communities.

Attempts to reach Chartrand for comment have been unsuccessful. But a man identifying himself as the principal spoke out on social media Sunday, apologizing for the incident and calling it “totally not acceptable” conduct.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I continue to educate myself on the matter and wholeheartedly support and appreciate the Black Lives Matter movement,” he wrote, adding: “I can only pray that I will have your forgiveness and we can all move forward together.”

The Ontario College of Teachers is the regulatory body for educators in Ontario. A spokesperson said Monday it was aware of the matter, but wouldn’t comment further, citing privacy laws.

The Providence board has 23 elementary and seven high schools across Southwestern Ontario.

Black Lives Matter is an international group, founded in 2013, to combat anti-Black racism. The organization has become well-known in the last year, since the murder of a Minnesota man, George Floyd, by a police officer.

Black Lives Matter London, its local affiliate, is active on social media and indicated Monday it has other concerns about Monseigneur-Bruyère. “We ask for your patience as we collect and sift through the hundreds of statements from students, parents and teachers,” the group wrote on Facebook.

HRivers@postmedia.com
1622573817519.png

• Wow

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
I'm not a Marxist.

See reading isn't your strong suit is it sir?
I know a Marxist when I deal with one. You may not call yourself a Marxist but your opinions and points of view pretty much makes me believe that you could very well be a Marxist with your words. One either has to be a real and true conservative or you have to fall into the category of a leftist of some sort. Just saying. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Liberal Feminist

Liberal Feminist

Time Out
May 14, 2021
You must be fairly young, because on the family farm up to almost the 90's everybody over the age of 5 did their fair share of work, money was thrown into a pot. The farm got the first and lion's share of it, then came the household's share, then kids schooling, after which the parents negotiated for what was left per their needs. In our household Mom put her foot down when she thought Dad was getting carried away.

My family works the same way, my wife will put the foot down if she thinks I'm getting carried away with our money, or not pulling my fair weight in household chores when I'm home from the fields.
I'm not fairly young but firmly middle aged sir.

Again YOUR household from YOUR, Male perspective.

That's hardly the norm in the world for rural women.

But good on you for trying to live in a fair and balanced way, but you are vastly the minority.

• Haha

Liberal Feminist

Time Out
May 14, 2021
I know a Marxist when I deal with one. You may not call yourself a Marxist but your opinions and points of view pretty much makes me believe that you could very well be a Marxist with your words. One either has to be a real and true conservative or you have to fall into the category of a leftist of some sort. Just saying. ;)
No you literally don't given my other responses and how that this actually works.

Leftist absolutely, middle left with strong wishes on Country and People before Parties and Corporations.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
MERICAN NEWS Jun 1, 2021 12:59 PM EST

HATE HOAX: BLM activist claimed she was the victim of hate crimes including arson—video shows she started the fire

A student at Viterbo University in La Crosse, Wisconsin, claims she had been the victim of racist incidents, including arson. However, police discovered that the alleged victim of framed hate crimes was the one caught on surveillance video starting the fire in the university's residence hall.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'The Office' star Ellie Kemper's 1999 pageant win stirs controversy
Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:Jun 01, 2021 • 21 hours ago • 2 minute read • 6 Comments
Actress Ellie Kemper
Actress Ellie Kemper PHOTO BY SLAVEN VLASIC /Getty Images
Article content
If you had Ellie Kemper as the next celebrity possibly getting cancelled on your 2021 bingo card, I guess … congratulations are in order.

The actress, who played Erin on NBC’s The Office, found herself a trending topic on Twitter after an old photo of her being crowned the 1999 Queen of Love and Beauty at St. Louis’ Veiled Prophet Ball resurfaced on social media.

“So was no one gonna tell me Ellie Kemper aka Kimmy Schmidt was crowned KKK queen in 1999,” one user asked sharing a photo of the smiling actress in a white dress.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The post quickly made the rounds on social media, as people learned that the Veiled Prophet Organization, which was founded in the late 1800s by a group of wealthy business owners in St. Louis, was reportedly associated with white supremacy. While the group itself doesn’t have direct ties to the Ku Klux Klan, The Wrap reports it has come under fire from Black Lives Matter for “upholding power structures in the area.”

A 2014 article in The Atlantic added that the event’s organizers “emphasized the existing power structure” and banned Black and Jewish members until the late 1970s.

According to USA Today, the Veiled Prophet Organization still holds an annual event called the Veiled Prophet Ball, in which the daughter of one of the group’s members is crowned queen by a Veiled Prophet, “a secret member who wears white robes and a white veil covering his face.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
A 1999 article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch announced that “Elizabeth Claire ‘Ellie’ Kemper, 19, (was crowned) the 1999 Queen of Love and Beauty” while she was a student at Princeton University. Her family, the article noted, had long ties to finance and her father, David, was a banking executive.

Images of a Veiled Prophet in robes led many to associate the group with the Klan, but USA Today notes that the imagery pre-dates the Klan by nearly 30 years.

After Kemper was branded a “KKK princess” on Twitter, CNN commentator Keith Bokin shared his recollections of the Veiled Prophet Fair.

“I was always told it was only for white people. The racial segregation was so normalized that people were just expected to know their place.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
But Kemper wasn’t without her defenders. Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro tweeted, “There is not a single iota of evidence that Ellie Kemper is racist. So naturally, Twitter is trending her and blue checks are calling her a ‘KKK princess.’ What absolute garbage.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The actress, who also starred in Bridesmaids and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, has yet to respond to the controversy.

mdaniell@postmedia.com
1622660409102.png

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
MERICAN NEWS Jun 1, 2021 12:59 PM EST

HATE HOAX: BLM activist claimed she was the victim of hate crimes including arson—video shows she started the fire

A student at Viterbo University in La Crosse, Wisconsin, claims she had been the victim of racist incidents, including arson. However, police discovered that the alleged victim of framed hate crimes was the one caught on surveillance video starting the fire in the university's residence hall.
These communist black lives matter buffoons are always trying to pull off some kind of racist hatred towards white people. The stupid fools do not realize that it was the white people that freed them from slavery. It's not the white people that are showing hatred every day, it is the BLM racists that are doing just that.

On Fox/Tucker last night there was an ex BLM founding member on his show that said that he left that communist outfit because BLM was doing nothing for black people. The BLM movement was all about making money and then spending all the money that they made on themselves and not on black people. Shocking indeed.

Have you been noticing lately that every commercial that we now see on TV in Canada has way more black people in them then what we have ever seen in the past? Why is that? I have no problem with it but it does seem strange to me as to how and why this is all happening all of a sudden.

Any comment? It's very interesting to me indeed. ;)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
WARMINGTON: Asking for a cop who identifies as 'Black' upsets DRPS members
Request was for a pay duty officer to be on hand at a mass vaccination event in Ajax

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Publishing date:Jun 04, 2021 • 1 day ago • 3 minute read • 79 Comments
Durham Regional Police Service logo
Durham Regional Police Service logo Twitter
Article content
A request on the Durham Regional Police’s online “pay duty” assignment board asking for an officer who identifies as “Black” has upset some officers and has their association demanding answers.

In fact, in a Tuesday letter to Chief Todd Rollauer, Durham Regional Police Association president Colin Goodwin pointed out, “My directors, VP and I have been fielding calls, text messages and emails from upset members all weekend because of this posting.”

Goodwin also wrote: “I am reaching out to you about the vaccine clinic pay duty that was posted on the pay duty system for June 6. This pay duty request specified ‘organizers are requesting DRPS officers who identify as black’ for the duty.”

The request was for a pay duty officer to be on hand at a mass vaccination event in Ajax.

“The provincial vaccination strategy for Black communities is hosting a mass vaccination clinic through the Black Physician Association of Ontario in partnership with Ontario Health, Carea, Lakeridge Health, DurhamOne and Durham Regional Health Department– organizers are requesting DRPS officers who identify as Black, reads the posting. “Report to Pickering High School, 180 Church St. N., Ajax.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

An online poster advertising the event describes it as a “COVID-19 Community Vaccination Pfizer Pop-Up Clinic for Black, African and Caribbean Communities” for a “first dose only — open to individuals 12 plus.”

Several Durham officers who contacted the Toronto Sun said they would be proud to protect people at this important event during a deadly pandemic but don’t have the appropriate race requirement as requested in the notice and thus don’t qualify for the job.

Others said the colour or race of a police office is irrelevant for any policing call.

“A police officer is a police officer,” said a source who was concerned with this kind of specific request. “We are trained, equipped and professional. Our skin colour is not used to determine any deployment.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
In his letter to the chief, DRPA’s Goodwin said, “This request should never have been entertained and the organizers of the vaccination clinic should have been told this” since “members work hard each day to make inroads with the communities they work for and something like this drives a wedge between the members and the communities they serve.”

Added Goodwin: “It is the position of the DRPA that to select a member for a pay duty based on one of the prohibited grounds contained in the Ontario Human Rights Code would result in a grievance.”

The chief has not commented but a force-wide memo was sent out by the Emergency Operations Centre, which handles COVID-19 issues for the DRPS, saying, “Concerns have been raised about a paid duty that was posted May 27 relating to a vaccination clinic that is to be hosted by the Black Physicians Association of Ontario on June 5 and 6 at Pickering High School.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
DRPS spokesperson Jodi MacLean told the Sun: “DRPS has a process for assigning paid duties and made no guarantees to the organizers of the clinic that officers identifying as racialized would be assigned.”

It’s still unclear how this ended up in the request, but either way DRPA say they will not partake in seeing any members assigned, or not assigned, based on race. Goodwin said the request for “DRPS officers who identify as Black” was removed from the site and will be handled at the divisional level.

Officers with DRPS, said Goodwin, don’t operate on race and each association member is qualified to take on any pay duty role regardless of the event.

jwarmington@postmedia.com
View attachment 8929

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ellie Kemper apologizes for participating in 'racist' ball: 'Ignorance is no excuse'
Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:Jun 07, 2021 • 37 minutes ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
Actress Ellie Kemper has apologized for her past participation in a controversial Missouri debutante ball.
Actress Ellie Kemper has apologized for her past participation in a controversial Missouri debutante ball. PHOTO BY MICHAEL KOVAC /Getty Images for ELLE
Article content
Actress Ellie Kemper has apologized for participating in a controversial beauty pageant that has been accused of racism in the past.

Kemper, who played Erin on NBC’s The Office, found herself a trending topic on Twitter last week after an old photo of her being crowned the 1999 Queen of Love and Beauty at St. Louis’ Veiled Prophet Ball resurfaced on social media.

“So was no one gonna tell me Ellie Kemper aka Kimmy Schmidt was crowned KKK queen in 1999,” one user asked sharing a photo of the smiling actress in a white dress.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The post quickly made the rounds on social media, as people learned that the Veiled Prophet Organization, which was founded in the late 1800s by a group of wealthy business owners in St. Louis, was reportedly associated with white supremacy. While the group itself doesn’t have direct ties to the Ku Klux Klan, The Wrap reported it has come under fire from Black Lives Matter for “upholding power structures in the area.”

A 2014 article in The Atlantic added that the event’s organizers “emphasized the existing power structure” and banned Black and Jewish members until the late 1970s.

A 1999 article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch announced that “Elizabeth Claire ‘Ellie’ Kemper, 19, (was crowned) the 1999 Queen of Love and Beauty” while she was a student at Princeton University. Her family, the article noted, had long ties to finance and her father, David, was a banking executive.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Kemper, 41, broke her silence on the controversy in a statement she posted to her Instagram on Monday.

“Hi guys, when I was 19 years old, I decided to participate in a debutante ball in my hometown,” she wrote. “The century-old organization that hosted the debutante ball had an unquestionably racist, sexist and elitist past. I was not aware of the history at the time, but ignorance is no excuse. I was old enough to have educated myself before getting involved.”

She continued, adding, “I unequivocally deplore, denounce, and reject white supremacy. At the same time, I acknowledge that because of my race and my privilege, I am the beneficiary of a system that has dispensed unequal justice and unequal rewards.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The actress went on to address the backlash she received on social media writing, “There is a very natural temptation when you become the subject of internet criticism, to tell yourself that your detractors are getting it all wrong. But at some point last week, I realized that a lot of the forces behind the criticism are forces that I’ve spent my life supporting and agreeing with.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
She ended her statement with a direct apology.

“I want to apologize to the people I’ve disappointed, and I promise that moving forward I will listen, continue to educate myself, and use my privilege in support of the better society I think we’re capable of becoming.”

In a statement to People last week, the Veiled Prophet Organization denounced racism.

“Our organization believes in and promotes inclusion, diversity and equality for this region. We absolutely reject racism and have never partnered or associated with any organization that harbours these beliefs.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com
1623105715699.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Don't ask IKEA to come up with a Juneteenth menu
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Jun 23, 2021 • 1 day ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
A 2020 IKEA catalogue
A 2020 IKEA catalogue
Article content
Juneteenth celebrations didn’t go over so well at one Atlanta branch of IKEA.

CBS 46 TV news reported as many as 33 employees called in sick to work to protest when a menu was announced to celebrate June 19, which marks the emancipation of the last enslaved Americans.

“Look out for a special menu on Saturday which will include: fried chicken, watermelon, mac n cheese, potato salad, collard greens, candied yams,” said an email obtained by TMZ, according to the New York Post.

Unfortunately, the menu included items that stereotype African-American dishes.

“You cannot say serving watermelon on Juneteenth is a soul food menu when you don’t even know the history,” an anonymous employee told Atlanta’s CBS 46.

“They used to feed slaves watermelon. It caused a lot of people to be upset. People actually wanted to quit. People weren’t coming back to work.”

Ultimately, CBS 46 reported the store’s manager apologized via an internal email.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“She said, ‘I truly apologize. The menu came off [offensive],’” the employee told the TV station.

But the worker said all of the controversy could have been avoided if people of colour had been included in choosing the menu in the first place.

“None of the co-workers who sat down to create the menu, no one was black,” said the employee.

Finally a new, revised menu was released for June 19 with the store manager telling CBS 46 it included collard greens, cornbread, mashed potatoes, and meatloaf.

And Sunday’s menu?

“Fried chicken, mac ’n’ cheese, collard greens,” the employee said.

IKEA did not return the New York Post’s request for comment.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Jamaica plans to seek reparations from Britain over slavery
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Kate Chappell
Publishing date:Jul 12, 2021 • 16 hours ago • 2 minute read • 11 Comments
The statue of 17th century slave trader Edward Colston falls into the water after protesters pulled it down and pushed into the docks, during a protest against racial inequality in the aftermath of the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, in Bristol, Britain, June 7, 2020.
The statue of 17th century slave trader Edward Colston falls into the water after protesters pulled it down and pushed into the docks, during a protest against racial inequality in the aftermath of the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, in Bristol, Britain, June 7, 2020. PHOTO BY KEIR GRAVIL /REUTERS
Article content
KINGSTON — Jamaica plans to ask Britain for compensation for the Atlantic slave trade in the former British colony, a senior government official said, under a petition that could seek billions of pounds in reparations.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Jamaica was a centre of the slave trade, with the Spanish, then the British, forcibly transporting Africans to work on plantations of sugar cane, bananas and other crops that created fortunes for many of their owners.

“We are hoping for reparatory justice in all forms that one would expect if they are to really ensure that we get justice from injustices to repair the damages that our ancestors experienced,” Olivia Grange, Minister of Sports, Youth and Culture, told Reuters in an interview at the weekend.

“Our African ancestors were forcibly removed from their home and suffered unparalleled atrocities in Africa to carry out forced labor to the benefit of the British Empire,” she added. “Redress is well overdue.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
An estimated 600,000 Africans were shipped to toil in Jamaica, according to the National Library of Jamaica.

Seized from Spain by the English in 1655, Jamaica was a British colony until it became independent in 1962. The West Indian country of almost three million people is part of the Commonwealth and the British monarch remains head of state.

Britain prohibited trade in slaves in its empire in 1807 but did not formally abolish the practice of slavery until 1834.

To compensate slave owners, the British government took out a 20 million pound loan – a very large sum at the time – and only finished paying off the ensuing interest payments in 2015.

The reparations petition is based on a private motion by Jamaican lawmaker Mike Henry, who said it was worth some 7.6 billion pounds, a sum he estimated is roughly equivalent in today’s terms to what Britain paid to the slaveholders.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“I am asking for the same amount of money to be paid to the slaves that was paid to the slave owners,” said Henry, a member of the ruling Jamaica Labour Party.

“I am doing this because I have fought against this all my life, against chattel slavery which has dehumanized human life.”

Grange herself declined to give a figure.

The petition, with approval from Jamaica’s National Council on Reparations, will be filed pending advice from the attorney general and three legal teams, Grange said. The attorney general will then send it to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth, she added.

The initiative follows growing acknowledgement in some quarters of the role played by slavery in generating wealth in Britain, with businesses and seats of learning pledging financial contributions in compensation.

They include insurance market Lloyd’s of London, pub owner Greene King and the University of Glasgow.

The petition also coincides with increasing efforts by some in Jamaica to sever formal ties with the United Kingdom.

Opposition lawmaker Mikael Phillips in December presented a motion to remove the British monarch as head of state.

More than 15 million people were shackled into the transatlantic slave trade, according to the United Nations.

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave