Black Lives Matter-Ugliness of Racism.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A friend of ours from Mexico (who passed away a few years ago) had an interesting take on what you’re saying above.

He was not a big fan of law-enforcement, & he was not a criminal. In having a discussion about the above with him, as he was teaching us some of the do’s and don’ts with respect to interactions with law-enforcement in his nation…he explained that the police were notoriously underfunded, & that a certain level of corruption was expected just so that they could remain police officers…but you had to know how to approach the situation diplomatically in order to function in that society.

He explained that many in the law enforcement profession in Mexico where the failures of society, in his opinion too dumb or antisocial to be waiters or other useful members of society, and they had to be treated with a certain level of deferment while stoking their egos and bribing them simultaneously, but in a non-obvious fashion.

Law enforcement in Mexico are not paid a living wage. Law enforcement in the US are paid better, but most have to have second jobs to pay their bills to the extent that there are rules about where they can and can’t wear their police uniforms at their second jobs (security guards, collection agents, etc…). Canadian police are comparatively paid much better I’m told, with six figure incomes within the first few years.

(This may, or may not, play a role in the above discussion, but it is interesting.)

Yes, I agree that it sure seems like there’s a lack of training (budgetary reasons?) or a lack of supervision (budgetary again?) but definitely some weirdness going on.

In the specific example of the shooting of Ms Young, 30 seconds before she is shot, both officers are breaking into a different parked car in the handicap parking area of the Kroger grocery store. Is this a side-gig that in Canada is relegated to tow truck operators…but in the US it might fall to Law Enforcement who legally can carry break in tools for automobiles? Is what happened a reaction to Ms Young interfering with the officers ‘side-gig’ to scoop a little extra on the side for popping open a car that someone locked themselves out of???

Below is a screenshot from YouTube from the bodycam of the officer that shot Ms Young about 30 seconds before he shot her through her windshield:
1693840132687.jpeg
Interesting, and perhaps irrelevant, but still interesting. That’s a Lockout Airbag (locksmiths is them) to inflate in the gap between the door & the B-Pillar on an automobile so that further lockout tools can be used to pop the lock open.

if you could see through the windshield in the above picture on the car that the officers are breaking into, to the right of the blue car, is where Ms Young’s car is parked before the shit hit the fan.
1693841118214.jpeg

Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Allow me to clarify. I take the advice of a friend of mine who spent 40+ years in the military, as a cop, in State Department security, and as a private security contractor. I consider him expert, and his outlook is sensible. He says "Forget that '99% are good cops' crap. About 1/3 are good cops who will be patient and professional even if they don't have to be. Another 1/3 are bad cops, bullies with badges who should never have been allowed to be cops. The middle 1/3 are and will be as they are trained and led."

That sounds about right to me. I don't expect cops to have a detailed knowledge of the criminal law, but I do expect them to be trained on the criminal law and the rights and privileges of citizens. I also expect them to be professional and reasonably polite, and I will be professional and reasonably polite with them, while refusing to compromise any of my rights. I don't have to do their job for them or convince them of anything.

On the other hand, I recognize that I'm a qualified, licensed pizza delivery professional and have considerable advantages in knowing what I can do. And it's simply a fact, like it or not, that being Brown and old relaxes the cops some, not as good as White but better'n Black.

Yes, the problem is training and discipline. The longest police academy in the U.S. is six months. In most European countries it's 2-3 years. As a consequence, most police "training" is done in the squad car, the station-house locker room, and the cop bar. And unfortunately is mostly done by the worst cops. There's a lot of groupthink and us/them-ism. That is what needs to change, and that can only be changed from the top.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah. Thirds. Interesting is the timestamps on the above screenshots from the BodyCam:
1693841764678.jpeg
Above at 18:28:03
1693841799590.jpeg
Above at 18:28:11
1693841855850.jpeg
Above at 18:28:26
1693842085314.jpeg
Shot already fired through the windshield at 18:28:29. I wonder who felt threatened in this situation?

In the 20 seconds between 18:28:11 and 18:28:29 the second officer is screaming “Get out’a the Fucking Car!” Repeatedly while banging on the drivers side window, the windshield, and the car door.

If you where a pregnant woman, alone, in this situation, who got into her car and hadn’t even closed her car door at 18:27:56…
1693842698775.jpeg
Would you feel threatened? How would you react to the Law Enforcement De-Escalation techniques employed? 1/2 a minute between closing her car door and being shot through her windshield, and she still manages to roll down her drivers window a few inches to try to communicate with the guy dressed in black banging on her vehicle repeatedly while screaming and swearing at her before panicking and being shot.

(I wish the age censored video on the previous page was easier to pull screenshots from.) The second officer came from the passenger side of the vehicle they where breaking into as Ms Young was getting into her own car.
1693843789104.jpeg

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Allow me to clarify. I take the advice of a friend of mine who spent 40+ years in the military, as a cop, in State Department security, and as a private security contractor. I consider him expert, and his outlook is sensible. He says "Forget that '99% are good cops' crap. About 1/3 are good cops who will be patient and professional even if they don't have to be. Another 1/3 are bad cops, bullies with badges who should never have been allowed to be cops. The middle 1/3 are and will be as they are trained and led."

That sounds about right to me. I don't expect cops to have a detailed knowledge of the criminal law, but I do expect them to be trained on the criminal law and the rights and privileges of citizens. I also expect them to be professional and reasonably polite, and I will be professional and reasonably polite with them, while refusing to compromise any of my rights. I don't have to do their job for them or convince them of anything.

On the other hand, I recognize that I'm a qualified, licensed pizza delivery professional and have considerable advantages in knowing what I can do. And it's simply a fact, like it or not, that being Brown and old relaxes the cops some, not as good as White but better'n Black.

Yes, the problem is training and discipline. The longest police academy in the U.S. is six months. In most European countries it's 2-3 years. As a consequence, most police "training" is done in the squad car, the station-house locker room, and the cop bar. And unfortunately is mostly done by the worst cops. There's a lot of groupthink and us/them-ism. That is what needs to change, and that can only be changed from the top.
So blame Trump .

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Well, Trump did tell 'em not to be "too gentle."

Summary execution for suspicion of petty theft sounds about right.
Trump never said that - stop with that nonsense. You do like to "push" don't 'cha?
You can’t shoot to disable the car if you’re standing 2-3’ in front of it. That leaves one target.

What happened to basic training like “don’t stand directly in front (or behind) of a running car with someone behind the wheel?” Always OFFSET yourself from that situation…I took a basic 5hr course 40yrs ago to park cars for the exhibition association as a teen & got a cheesy certificate…& that was something that stood out to me then and now.

What happened to “keep your finger off the trigger until/unless you’re going to pull it” gun training? Helps prevent Alec Baldwin situations.
View attachment 19198

Guess the Officer placed himself directly in front of a running auto, with someone behind the wheel, with his finger on the trigger, according to his OWN body cam footage. Thats looking premeditated to me but I’m not any kind of authority.

Sure glad bodycam’s are a thing that exist now, as this story might be very different without one.

Two actually, with her being pregnant.

I watched a little snippet of released video, with the officer who shot Young breaking into a different car parked in the handicap parking stalls not 15 seconds before he has his gun out, finger on the trigger, and pointing it at Ta’Kiya Young through her windshield.
Nice De-Escalation Tactics being demonstrated too with the swearing & banging on her vehicle. This woman was effectively dead as soon as she closed her car door while the officers were still trying to break into the vehicle behind hers.

Here’s a separate breakdown of the encounter:
I wonder if Ta’Kiya Young actually took anything from the Kroger grocery store or not, but I guess that’s irrelevant to the outcome of the situation.
…& here are five de-escalation techniques:
  1. Speak calmly and with the right tone and use of words
  2. Ensure your body language is relaxed and in control
  3. Make a connection and be empathetic with people
  4. Get the agitated person away from weapons, harm, and other people
  5. Provide them with choices that empower them to comply
It's important to remember that de-escalation is a philosophy, not a process. However, there are certain de-escalation techniques that can help.

De-escalation training teaches police officers to slow things down, create space, ask open-ended questions, build a rapport with subjects, and hold off reaching for their guns.

One of the biggest benefits of police de-escalation is reducing the need for use of force by police officers, as well as officer-involved shootings. It also greatly reduces the likelihood that officers will be hurt during a confrontation.
It makes sense now as to why he didn't try to disable the car. Thank you for the information.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
5 people plead not guilty to Alabama riverfront brawl charges
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Published Sep 03, 2023 • 1 minute read
A brawl involving several men at Riverfront Park in Montgomery, Ala., was captured in a video shared on social media
A brawl involving several people at Riverfront Park in Montgomery, Ala., was captured in a video shared on social media. PHOTO BY TWITTER SCREENGRAB /BoreCure
MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Five people charged in an Alabama riverfront brawl that drew national attention as white boaters fought with Black riverboat crew members have pleaded not guilty to assault and disorderly conduct charges.

Four white boaters, who police said were filmed hitting or shoving a Black riverboat captain in Montgomery, pleaded not guilty to misdemeanour assault charges. A Black man, who police said was filmed swinging a folding chair and hitting people in the subsequent melee, pleaded not guilty to misdemeanour disorderly conduct charges.

Montgomery Municipal Court records show the not guilty pleas were entered last week.

Videos of the brawl were widely shared on social media and spawned a multitude of memes, jokes, parodies, reenactments and even T-shirts.

Richard White, a lawyer representing one of the white boaters, told WSFA that he wants to make sure his client is treated fairly given the national attention.

Montgomery Police Chief Darryl Albert told reporters last month that the brawl began when the owner of a pontoon boat refused to move from a docking spot designated for the city-owned Harriott II riverboat. The riverboat co-captain took a smaller vessel to shore to move the pontoon boat so the Harriott II could dock and let its 200 or so passengers disembark.
1693897851352.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Former British police officers admit sending racist messages about Meghan
Associated Press
Published Sep 07, 2023 • 1 minute read

LONDON — Five retired British police officers on Thursday admitted sending offensive and racist social media messages about Prince Harry’s wife, the Duchess of Sussex, and others.

The men, all in their 60s, were arrested after a BBC investigation last year sparked an internal police inquiry.

The charges say messages posted in a closed WhatsApp group referred to Harry and wife Meghan, as well as Prince William and his wife, Kate, and the late Queen Elizabeth II and her late husband, Prince Philip.

Some also mentioned U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, former Home Secretary Priti Patel and former Health Secretary Sajid Javid.

Robert Lewis, Peter Booth, Anthony Elsom, Alan Hall and Trevor Lewton pleaded guilty at London’s Westminster Magistrates’ Court to sending by public communication grossly offensive racist messages. All are former members of London’s Metropolitan Police department and spent time with the force’s Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection branch, which guards politicians and diplomats.

The force said none of the suspects was a police officer when they sent the messages between 2020 and 2022.

A sixth former officer, Michael Chadwell, denied one count of the same charge and is due to stand trial Nov. 6. The othersare scheduled to be sentenced the same day.

The biracial American actress Meghan Markle married Prince Harry, the queen’s grandson, at Windsor Castle in 2018. In early 2020, they stepped away from royal duties and left the U.K., citing what they said were the unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alabama woman gets a year in jail for hanging racially offensive dolls on Black neighbours’ fence
Associated Press
Published Sep 08, 2023 • 1 minute read

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — A south Alabama woman has been sentenced to a year in prison for hanging racially offensive homemade dolls on her Black neighbours’ fence in an attempt to get them to move.

Cheryl Lynn Pytleski, 64, of Chancellor, pleaded guilty to violating the civil rights of her neighbours and was sentenced Wednesday, U.S. Attorney Sandra Stewart said Thursday in a news release.

Authorities said Pytleski put out the dolls on Oct. 18, 2019, at her neighbours’ home in Dale County. She pleaded guilty in March to a criminal violation of the Fair Housing Act.

According to her plea agreement, Pytleski admitted to using the threat of force to intimidate her neighbours because of their race and because they were occupying a dwelling next to her.

The 12-month sentence is the maximum allowed under the federal law.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
A hateful, racial tirade against a black female TTC driver has man on charges

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Sep 13, 2023 • Last updated 2 days ago • 4 minute read

In a video circulating on social media, a man can be seen harassing a female TTC driver.
A verbal attack on a TTC bus driver in which slavery was referenced is now being looked at by Toronto Police as a possible hate crime.

“The Hate Crimes Unit is aware of the incident and the investigation is ongoing,” said Toronto Police spokesperson Const. Victor Kwong.

It’s a shocking video, that has already seen Toronto Police lay three criminal charges, showing a man claiming he comes from European background calling a black female TTC bus driver an “ex-slave whore” while pounding on the window of her bus she would not open the door to let him on.

Who could blame her? What went on there is disturbing.

The driver’s union boss, ATU Local 113 President Marvin Alfred calls it a “racist” attack on his member worthy of it being investigated as a hate crime.

It was gross! It was hateful as hateful can get.

This rude, crude loud-mouth jerk said the female bus driver at the wheel would lose her job for not letting him board. Ironically, it turns out he’s now arrested and charged by Toronto Police and facing a court appearance Wednesday. Calling it a verbal assault with “racist and misogynist language” Alfred said his driver was “traumatized” by the terrifying interaction.

If you think your job is difficult, try driving a TTC bus for a shift. The only difference this time is the outrageous, profane and belittling attack was caught on camera – shot and posted to social media by the accused himself. It shows a man berating a driver for half an hour for not allowing him on the bus.

Toronto Police say this occurred Wednesday, Sept. 6th at 10:45 a.m., at Drewry Ave. and Bathurst St. Police allege the driver was “attempting to reposition the bus before allowing passengers to get on” when “a man ran across the intersection and started to punch the bus and began yelling and swearing at the driver to open the doors.”

While other passengers tried to reason with the accused, he was relentless with his antics and insults which included referencing slavery, using the term “whore” and “bitch” and saying she was a “welfare” recipient while calling himself a “taxpayer” for 25 years.

At one point in the video, the man made it onto the bus where he said the driver was a “gangster” who was “going to count some drug money” later.

Six days after the incident, Toronto Police Tuesday charged Paul Sampalean, 38, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with “Mischief, Intimidation and Causing a Disturbance.” The charges against him have not yet been tested in court. But this accused has been introduced to Sun readers before in a 2016 story by reporter Maryam Shah telling about getting “a row of stitches” in his forehead in a Cuban hospital after what he said was a mugging and robbery in his hotel.

There are also other video rants circulating on social media. If there are mitigating medical factors in his background they should be addressed by the system but there is no denying this video shows concerning conduct in which a minority woman just doing her job was allegedly victimized and terrorized. Toronto Police is correct to probe this further as a potential hate-motivated incident.

No one should be subjected to what that woman was subjected to.

“Like everyone, we are shocked by what this video shows,” said TTC spokesperson Stuart Green. “TTC operators in the field are performing a vital public service. So to see one being subjected to this sort of vile abuse is appalling.”

He’s right. It’s beyond the pale deplorable. And with so many stabbings on the TTC this year, it was also extra horrifying for those involved.

“The operator has been offered all available peer and counselling resources” and in response to Alfred’s complaint that neither TTC security nor Toronto Police did not get there fast enough, Green added, “we are also looking into our response after she contacted our Transit Control Centre.”

This is a big problem for law enforcement now. Whether it’s the TTC or the police. They are spread thin and don’t always have the number of officers on shift needed in a city when many things happen at once. They are all working hard on this now and taking it very seriously. There are few bigger targets in this era than TTC drivers, who take a tonne of flack, even when behind protective security shields.

If anybody took on the role of a bus driver for a day, it would definitely be an eye-opener and a test of one’s patience, temper and resolve. In this case, the bus driver not only passes with an A-plus but also sets the standard of how to not lose your cool when being horribly abused.