Best Concert You Ever Attended?

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
One particularly memorable concert for me was the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in the Jubilee Auditorium in Edmonton in the mid seventies. They weren't a big enough name to fill something like the Coliseum (actually I think the coliseum hadn't opened yet, the biggest venue in Edmonton at that time was the Edmonton Gardens) but that worked out for the better as the Jubilee was basically an opera house, built with comfort and acoustics in mind. Their back-up act was an unknown stand-up comic named Steve Martin.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Youssou N'dour at Expo 86 in Vancouver he & his band were So Hot/So Tight/So Unique people literally floated out of the theatre afterward never having imagined music could be So Good.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Who and when?

I saw U2 in 1987 at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. They were at the top of their game. It was almost like a religious experience...66,000 people all singing in unison.

Saw Simple Minds in Ottawa ''85. Another solid show from a band in their prime.

BB King...Van Halen...The Posies...

So what notable bands have you seen? Who on this forum goes back the furthest with a rock 'n roll concert story? :)

The Posies put on an incredible live performance back in the early 90's. Still on of my fave bands to this day!

heart soul and a voice. i think that it was at the humming bird center.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Ashley McIsaac at a private party of roughly 60, 2013 ish. He played so hard he wore out his bow. Say what you want about him but that man can play a fiddle.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Four deaths probed at music festival in Michigan
Three men died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while woman's cause of death to be determined

Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Publishing date:Jul 19, 2021 • 7 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
Organizers of the Faster Horses Music Festival in Brooklyn, Michigan said they were saddened at the deaths during the fest.
Organizers of the Faster Horses Music Festival in Brooklyn, Michigan said they were saddened at the deaths during the fest. PHOTO BY FASTER HORSES FESTIVAL /Instagram
Article content
Four people were found dead in two separate incidents at a country musical festival in Michigan over the weekend.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Lenawee County Sheriff’s officers responded to a 911 call about unresponsive people at a Woodstock Township campground during the Faster Horses Festival on Saturday afternoon.

Deputies and emergency responders found five men in their early 20s inside a travel trailer.

Three of the men were were dead at the scene, while two were taken to a local hospital in critical condition and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, according to police.

Investigators said the call came from a friend of the five men who became concerned when he hadn’t heard from them.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
“This tragic incident is being investigated as a suspected carbon monoxide exposure from a generator located very near the travel trailer,” according to a police news release.

A fourth death was also being investigated after the body of a woman was found at the festival earlier Saturday.

Michigan State Police identified the victim as Melissa Donna Havens. The cause of death was not immediately known and an autopsy and toxicology test were being performed.

Investigators were looking for a man whom Havens was reported seen with in the 24 hours prior to her body being discovered.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Police said there was “no danger or threats to people attending Faster Horses Music Festival.”

Festival organizers expressed their sympathy, saying on Instagram that they were “deeply saddened by the tragic losses” and were in contact with law enforcement.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m going to come at this question in the thread title from a different direction. As a young man I worked at a stadium so I’ve seen about 70 different music concerts on top of every circus and agricultural show for years….back when the Agridome was still the Agridome.

I’ve seen everything from Alice Cooper to the Beach Boys…& from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to Corey Hart at the peak of his popularity with 14yr old girls, I believe the best high energy concert I’ve seen in person with an artist playing his own original music would’ve been David Wilcox (under the Centre of the arts in Regina). This was about 20 years ago and that guy was nuts! by the third song he was soaked in sweat and after about three hours his band members just unplugged his guitar and dragged him away and he was still playing his unplugged electric guitar…

Back in the early or mid 80s though I went and watched a cover band in a bar about 5 nights in a row. They were freak’n awesome!! The “Guy Jones Band,” and they did covers of every heavy metal group out there at the time back to back with instant costume changes and just rocked on HARD! It was an amazing crazy good time that the bar filled with almost the same people night after night after night….Petros would remember this bar as either Gillies or the Sahara Nights.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
l-r Doug Grant, Alfie Galpin, Guy Jones, Joey Wowk, Marco Tambasco
Among the groups that tore up the Vancouver scene during the late '80s was The Guy Jones Band. He assembled the group around guitarists Joe Wowk and Alfie Galpin, drummer Doug Grant (ex Ray Roper Band), and Marco Tambasco on bass.
They toured the Vancouver 'b' circuit in 1986, developing a progressive rock style that soon had them playing higher profile gigs. It led to a management deal with Sam Feldman's group, and the band did some home recordings of some material they'd written, but no actual studio demos were done. Within a year, and without a recording deal, everyone eventually drifted their seperate ways.
Following the band's demise, Jones continued touring the local circuit in various incarnations of mostly cover bands, then morphed into a predominantly Alice Cooper tribute that's played predominantly in Canada and the US, as well as an Orient tour.
Galpin left to hook up with Darby Mills' first solo project Plain Jane, then joined Grant in The Edge. From there he went on to play with Wild Kingdom and Scotty & The Slam Dogs. He joined Mills again in the late '90s in The Headpins. Wowk meanwhile joined touring ensembles of several west coast based bands over the years, including Sweeney Todd. He became a guitar instructor and opened Stone Finger Studio, producing and doing session work on various projects around Vancouver. Tambasco and Grant also bounced around in different groups for awhile, including Grant's project in the early '00s - a Bon Jovi tribute act.​

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Curious if people sort Alice Cooper under "A" or "C"? Technically correct imo would be under "A" but I've seen it under "C" as well.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The one in 1997 with my mate Neil and I decided to shout "Skinheads are fighting!" just for the fun of it as Alisha's Attic were performing, causing everyone to run away screaming, mounted police to arrive on the scene and the concert to be cancelled. It was great fun. I remember one of Alisha's Attic shouting through the microphone something like "Come on! Stop fighting!" even though nobody was. I would have been 15 or 16. Great days. The era of Britpop and Madchester.

Sadly, Neil is no longer with us after deciding, in October 2010, to douse himself in petrol and strike a match. Maybe it was because he didn't get to see the whole of Alisha's Attic's set that day in 1997.

Last edited: