Bad teeth,the new British disease

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You're being a tad too literal!

OK. Just that I am not uptodate with vampire lore, so I thought maybe in addition to sunlight, running water, cross (for Christian vampires only, of course), stake through the heart, garlic etc., perhaps cross dressing scares the vampire away.

It would be a nice addition to the vampire legend, though.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"That YJ is total nonsense. Current health care plan going through Congress (and looks likely to pass, probably much to your disgust) is medical care plan, it has nothing whatever to do with dental care."

Exactly!!

This so called universal health care does not give a damn about what goes in the mouth, the FIRST and arguably the the most defining stage of well-being.

At least Canadian Health Care Sysyem tells all Canadians: Look out after your own teeth.

Obama's Health Care fools Americans just like his financial "plan" did. Have you seen on youtube the fools who thought that Obama will pay for their mortgages, hydro bills food and gas in their cars?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Ca Ca Do Doo, I put my quotes in quotation marks. They are EXACTLY as I read them in their original form.

You lecturing me about the quote function is like Yosemite Sam lecturing Bill Gates about the Internet.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Ca Ca Do Doo, I put my quotes in quotation marks. They are EXACTLY as I read them in their original form.

You lecturing me about the quote function is like Yosemite Sam lecturing Bill Gates about the Internet.

No one know's who your quoting unless they go back and look for the post.

I bet Sam could figure it out.;-)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I had always understood that the stereotypical 'bad teeth' of the Brits had more to do with rationing and poor nutrition from about 1939 to 1970.

This, too, is what I understood the stereotype coming from. But like most
stereotypes....they only applied to a small percentage of a given population,
and the times have moved past severe rationing, etc...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Isn't there a part of Jolly Ol' where the water is so limey (hence the vernacular) it cakes to your teeth? It was the one thing Grand dad would always speak about from his war days.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I have to admit,when it come's to bad teeth the Brit's have nothing on the Inuitt,it may be because of the lack of dentists but they love their sweets. and that doesnt help.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I have to admit,when it come's to bad teeth the Brit's have nothing on the Inuitt,it may be because of the lack of dentists but they love their sweets. and that doesnt help.

Kakato, I am only guessing here, but I assume sweets are not indigenous to Inuit country, they are an imported food. So it is quite possible that Inuit don’t have any built in resistance to tooth decay, probably don’t know how to care for the teeth after eating sweets etc.

That may explain the tooth decay in Inuits. If they stuck to their own, native foods, something they have been traditionally eating for generations, I assume there would be very little tooth decay.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sharks must have bad dental hygiene, too. They're always losing their teeth.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Do Innu still use their teeth in treating furs?
I dont know about that but the old ways never die and the elders are trying to keep that alive as the only history they have is a running one passed on from clan to clan,nothing's written down.
They recognized that the younger peeps were losing the culture and the language and started an ambitious project to keep the old ways alive.
When a polar wanders into town they hold a raffle at the school to see who get's to shoot it,then some elders come and do a few classes to show the young peeps how to dress a polar and save everything,the way they have for many years.

Nunavut's a huge place but if the diesel ran out tommorow every single one of them would be back to the old ways living in an iglu and surviving off the land in less then 12 hours.

When I first went there I took modern military extreme winter gear from the US and Canada,after awhile I had snowglasses made out of caribou horns,fishing jigs made from the same,sealskin mitts,caribou hides for bedding and floor mats in the tent,I learned that because I allways had an Innuit with me and they know what works up there.

Their bad teeth come from sweets though,not chewing hides.:lol:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Kakato, I am only guessing here, but I assume sweets are not indigenous to Inuit country, they are an imported food. So it is quite possible that Inuit don’t have any built in resistance to tooth decay, probably don’t know how to care for the teeth after eating sweets etc.

That may explain the tooth decay in Inuits. If they stuck to their own, native foods, something they have been traditionally eating for generations, I assume there would be very little tooth decay.

When there's only one dentist within 700 miles and you have to get a flight to see him I can see why it's so bad.

The Innuit's native food's are mostly meat and sea creatures so they dont get many greens which would be far less harder on a persons teeth then just a meat sea food diet.

At camp they would just load up on the greens as they have to be flown in from winnipeg,a thousand or more miles away.
The Innuit I worked with that spent 20 years in the exploration camps all had good teeth,maybe that can be contributed to a good diet.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The British can just retaliate by poking fun at the huge number of obese North Americans. And bad teeth are less noticeable than somebody who weighs 45 stone and needs a crane to get out of bed.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Scary:

This is a picture of Franck Ribery, a Frenchman.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well, the British are the biggest candy eaters in the world.

"They chew through plays and they chew through films and they chew in trains," complained the London Daily Mail. "They suck lollies through Macbeth and Hamlet, and they while away Tennessee Williams with the chocolates with the scrumptious centers." The Mail's complaint was not another anti-American outburst, but a cultural critique of the world's most ravenous candy eaters: the British. Unfazed by calorie counts, the English last year ate an average 8 oz. of candy weekly, nearly double the sweet tooth of any other European country and well above the 5.6 oz. a week the U.S. puts away. All this amounts to a big rock candy mountain of 1.4 billion Ibs. of sweets annually. For Britain's 800 candy companies and 250,000 candy-peddling retailers, the sweet smell of success adds up to $800 million a year.

This is probably due to the fact that British sweets - especially chocolate - are one of the best in the world. British chocolate is certainly better than that eaten in the US and Canada, where chocolate is much sickly and sweeter and packed with much more nasty stabilisers and preservatives. British chocolate is less sweet and is more actually purer chocolate. I'd take Cadbury's over Hershey's any day.

It's the same with cheese. Britain has more variety of cheese than France has, whereas North American cheese is spray-on cheese from a can.