Bad teeth,the new British disease

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
This is probably due to the fact that British sweets - especially chocolate - are one of the best in the world. British chocolate is certainly better than that eaten in the US and Canada, where chocolate is much sickly and sweeter and packed with much more nasty stabilisers and preservatives. British chocolate is less sweet and is more actually purer chocolate. I'd take Cadbury's over Hershey's any day.

It's the same with cheese. Britain has more variety of cheese than France has, whereas North American cheese is spray-on cheese from a can.

Can one get mad-cow by eating British cheese or chocolate?
Sign me,
Curious

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This is probably due to the fact that British sweets - especially chocolate - are one of the best in the world. British chocolate is certainly better than that eaten in the US and Canada, where chocolate is much sickly and sweeter and packed with much more nasty stabilisers and preservatives. British chocolate is less sweet and is more actually purer chocolate. I'd take Cadbury's over Hershey's any day.

It's the same with cheese. Britain has more variety of cheese than France has, whereas North American cheese is spray-on cheese from a can.

Here I disagree with you, Blackleaf. Swiss chocolates, Belgian chocolates are much better than British chocolates. British chocolates are good, better than North American chocolates, I give you that. Whenever I go to Buxton (for Gilbert and Sullivan festival), I bring some chocolates back with me (from Marks & Spencer or Woolworth).

However, European (particularly Swiss and Belgian) chocolates are undoubtedly superior to British chocolates.

As to cheese, some of the European blue cheeses (Danish, blue Brie and others) are exquisite. British don’t really know how to make good blue cheeses. The premier blue cheese from Britain is Stilton and it is very good, the ideal complement to Port. But by and large, again I would prefer European blue cheeses to British bleu cheeses).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If British chocolate were good, would they deep fry their Mars bars?

This reminds me of something, Spade. When we lived in Britain, the company which makes Mars bars (it is a well known, famous company, I can’t recall the name offhand) published a weight reducing diet. The diet included eating two Mars bars a day. They got plenty of flak fro that.