B.C. drought by the numbers: Vancouver, Victoria saw less than 10% of average rainfall since July

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They did not. The only reason you're "Sure" is because you want it to be true. Which is fine - if you're an ostrich.

And the idea that the other extreme events are 'one offs' is just wishful thinking. A wise man prepares and then doesn't have to trust to luck.

And as previously mentioned, pretending that the weather is just normal and nothing unusual happened is what children would do.
Everyone around here knows my background as an "earth scientist" and they know I can crunch numbers like an alligator. Are you prepared to take me on? I'll run phis and arcs around you if you dare. Are you truly serious about normal not normal?

Can you "see climate change/global warming"? From where? The porch of your moon cabin? Are you 60 and have stunning empirical data comparing the 2 data sets you've Iived through?

In your professional opinion, what is the mostly drastic geophysical change you've observed in your 35 years in geoscience?

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I am prepared as anyone in the big city needs to be , a pair of wellies and a hat .
Prepared for? More rats and bike lanes? Strip away the asphalt, farmland, and houses, would the temperature of the south coast be higher or lower? Would storms be different? Regular or extreme?

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Prepared for? More rats and bike lanes? Strip away the asphalt, farmland, and houses, would the temperature of the south coast be higher or lower? Would storms be different? Regular or extreme?
Hey I have one of those e bikes I am set .

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you a lesbian Liberal? Do you truly believe there is a diall the GoC can adjust the global temperature to set the 30 year average temperature through taxation? Why didn't humans adapt to the smoking hot era of the 1930s and 1940s when it was without arguments "hot" day AND night? Why does 1936 and 1937 still to this day hold record daytime AND NIGHT TIME heat records? Why were these temperatures GLOBAL and not just localized to western North America like the "pineapple heat dome river express"? Was it C02 at less than 350ppm which allegedly has skyrocketed? Why are nights cooler, why arent there anywhere near the "extremes" human experienced in the 30s and 40s? Why did climate plummet from the 50s to 70s? Was CO2 higher in the 30s and 40s than the 70s which in comparison were setting record cold? Why are current global temps declining while polar ice caps are growing with CO2 at all time highs? Why has forest "burn acreage" dropped by 85+%?

Is it CO2 and slow adaptation cooling the planet?

I'm prepared with numbers to quash the "increase in weather event severity and frequency" narrative.

If you think humans should adapt", what is it we should adapt to? Media hype?

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Are you a lesbian Liberal? Do you truly believe there is a diall the GoC can adjust the global temperature to set the 30 year average temperature through taxation? Why didn't humans adapt to the smoking hot era of the 1930s and 1940s when it was without arguments "hot" day AND night? Why does 1936 and 1937 still to this day hold record daytime AND NIGHT TIME heat records? Why were these temperatures GLOBAL and not just localized to western North America like the "pineapple heat dome river express"? Was it C02 at less than 350ppm which allegedly has skyrocketed? Why are nights cooler, why arent there anywhere near the "extremes" human experienced in the 30s and 40s? Why did climate plummet from the 50s to 70s? Was CO2 higher in the 30s and 40s than the 70s which in comparison were setting record cold? Why are current global temps declining while polar ice caps are growing with CO2 at all time highs? Why has forest "burn acreage" dropped by 85+%?

Is it CO2 and slow adaptation cooling the planet?

I'm prepared with numbers to quash the "increase in weather event severity and frequency" narrative.

If you think humans should adapt", what is it we should adapt to? Media hype?
Sensationalization sells papers cool calm analysis not so much . But hey look at those pp tapes .

Reactions: petros

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
They did not. The only reason you're "Sure" is because you want it to be true. Which is fine - if you're an ostrich.

And the idea that the other extreme events are 'one offs' is just wishful thinking. A wise man prepares and then doesn't have to trust to luck.

And as previously mentioned, pretending that the weather is just normal and nothing unusual happened is what children would do.
You need to get out of the city more.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You need to get out of the city more.
You need to read a bit more. "out of the city" was where all the flooding was this last winter, and I don't live anywhere near a city. I'm miles from a town or village.

If you thought extreme weather only affected cities you were pretty wrong. Ask lytton. Or the fraser valley. Or any of the people cut off from the rest of the country during the extreme flooding.

Yeash dude - where did you get the idea this was some sort of city problem?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
You need to read a bit more. "out of the city" was where all the flooding was this last winter, and I don't live anywhere near a city. I'm miles from a town or village.

If you thought extreme weather only affected cities you were pretty wrong. Ask lytton. Or the fraser valley. Or any of the people cut off from the rest of the country during the extreme flooding.

Yeash dude - where did you get the idea this was some sort of city problem?
It is mostly city people that think this was some kind of unusual event. It wasn’t. Almost all the problems were man made. A serious lack of ditch and culvert maintenance throughout BC. A Sumer of mostly man made fires, that would not have been that serious if proper forest management had been practiced for the last 10 years. Then there was no thought given to to controlling the runoff from the burned areas that were above the non maintained ditches. I have seen 24 inches of rain in 24 hours and never lost a single logging road.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It is mostly city people that think this was some kind of unusual event.
No, it's mostly people. I absolutely guarantee you everyone in the fraser valley knows very well this was an unusual event. And the families of the hundreds who died in the heat dome know that's not normal. Anyone who can read with access to historical records knows the drought we have just seen in the southern coastal area is extreme.
It wasn’t.
It was. That's obvious. A quick check of the historic data shows it was.
Almost all the problems were man made.
How was the heat dome man made? The extreme water fall over the province was not man made. (unless you're making the argument that it's due to global warming and global warming is man made. I guess you could make that case) The amount of water that falls from the sky is not actually controlled by culverts. Sorry to burst your bubble.

24 inches in 24 hours isn't the problem. 24 inches in 24 hours for 7 days in a row... that's a problem and not normal.

Now - if you want to say the impact was larger than it needed to be because there's things we could have done to prepare more.... sure. You just made my argument :) we should be doing more to prepare so that the impact of extreme weather events don't impact us. You're absolutely right. Thanks! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Taxslave2

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
14’ of rain in a week? 420+cm’s, 168 inches, in a consecutive 7 day stretch. That would be some kind of record I’m sure. Where did this happen?
British columbia, in november. All manner of records were broken:

at one point 11 inches of rain a day was coming down per day for more than a week, and in some areas even worse. So yeah - it broke records.

In total, 20 rainfall records were broken across British Columbia.[17] Hope, Agassiz, Malahat, Lillooet, and Abbotsford set new daily rainfall records on November 14, while both Hope and North Vancouver exceeded their average rainfall levels for all of November in a span of two days[18]

The entire average rainfall of November (November in bc mind you, one of the rainiest months of the year) exceeded in 2 days. And it rained for more than 2 days.

So for those who claim it was just a 'normal' year.... yeah, not so much.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did the floods come from the rain or the unusually heavy snowfall in late Oct early November that rapidly melted from the warm pineapple express rains?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Marketing?
Well how about billions of dollars in damage? Or deaths - perhaps you think that hundreds of dead people is just a 'marketing' gimmick? I'm a little surprised at you Ron. 815 people died directly related to the heat on those days - that's a lot of families who will have to bury loved ones. That's not marketing. The province was largely cut off from the rest of country, many thousands of cattle and pigs died, a lot of people's lives were pretty much trashed, some first nations have to move their entire settlements now, it's kind of a big deal.

But yea. marketing. That's all it is.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
815 died from a 50 year flood or the 50 year heatwave?

Marketing was referring to your "extreme drought". Try to keep up.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well how about billions of dollars in damage? Or deaths - perhaps you think that hundreds of dead people is just a 'marketing' gimmick? I'm a little surprised at you Ron. 815 people died directly related to the heat on those days - that's a lot of families who will have to bury loved ones. That's not marketing. The province was largely cut off from the rest of country, many thousands of cattle and pigs died, a lot of people's lives were pretty much trashed, some first nations have to move their entire settlements now, it's kind of a big deal.

But yea. marketing. That's all it is.
815 died from a 50 year flood or the 50 year heatwave?

Marketing was referring to your "extreme drought". Try to keep up.
What is the difference between a drought and an extreme drought? Is one drier than the other?
Marketing?
…& that was the train of question, asked and answered. Nothing about 815 people in BC etc etc etc.

“Extreme” as a word has become so overused in the last decade or more that it’s the butt of a punchline at this point, from Extreme Sports, to Extreme views, to Extreme weather events, to Extreme Extremist Extremism. “Quench Your Extreme Thirst with Product-X!” type extreme use of the word Extreme. That’s where I was going. Just count the number of times you encounter the word “Extreme” tomorrow in media (both written & verbal), in Sales Marketing, and in peoples day to day speech. Hell, just cruise the news headlines without even reading the stories and count the “Extreme’s” you encounter. It’s pretty extreme. 😉