B.C. drought by the numbers: Vancouver, Victoria saw less than 10% of average rainfall since July

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I see, it's a personal view. That explains plenty.
No, just because people understand the definition of a thing doesn't make that thing a 'personal view'. It just means they personally have sufficient education and intelligence that they're familiar with that definition.

But obviously you have no interest in an honest discussion on the subject (i'm assuming you're not ACTUALLY dumb enough to have meant what you said) so i'm just going to ignore the rest of your replies on this subject.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I’ll bet you a thousand that you cannot predict where and when the next extreme weather event happens . No , hmmmn there you go .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I’ll bet you a thousand that you cannot predict where and when the next extreme weather event happens . No , hmmmn there you go .
ROFLMAO - well i guess that's a pretty good way of admitting you were wrong without saying you were wrong :)

You were the one questioning if there would be an event in the future. No need to know the date and time, As long as i can predict that there will be one your argument falls apart.

But sure - lets go back to my original bet and you'll see it does predict when and where - In bc, within the next two years. There you go :) LOL

But nice try :) So - you gonna take me up on my bet? We can make it 1000 bucks if you prefer? Unless you know i'm right and just don't want to lose a grand being stupid on the internet. Which i could understand.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
You sure read lots that isn’t there . I think there will be lots of events , but who determines if an event is unprecedented . Forest fires are part of a healthy environment , the Pineapple Express is an intergalactic part of the wet coast rain forest . Snow happens every winter . The press sensationalizes every thing as unprecedented and you eat it up . But hey what about Trump .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You sure read lots that isn’t there .
You sure back peddle a lot.
I think there will be lots of events , but who determines if an event is unprecedented .
Nobody used the word 'unprecedented'. I get you want to try to change the narrative here but nobody's talking about weather that is without precedent. What we're talking about is extreme weather. Which we've always had - some years are hotter/colder than others. But now those extremes are often higher. Cases in point would be the heat dome last year - we've had heat waves before but that was more extreme than what we've seen in the past. The flooding in the winter - we've had flooding before but that was more extreme than what we've previously seen. And the expectation is that we'll tend to see more of those than we have previously.
Forest fires are part of a healthy environment , the Pineapple Express is an intergalactic part of the wet coast rain forest . Snow happens every winter . The press sensationalizes every thing as unprecedented and you eat it up . But hey what about Trump .
I'm gonna be kind and let you think about that for a bit. If we have 10 forest fires a year on average, and then suddenly jump to 100 a year, you COULD say "well we've always had forest fires and they're a good thing historically", but it would be remarkably stupid to suggest that something hasn't changed. It would be even stupider to suggest we shouldn't perhaps look at improving our forest fire fighting ability given that.

Yes - we've had rain before. But the intensity of what happened last winter was severely higher than the normal range.

I have no idea what you're point about snow is.

I guess you could say we've had heat waves before as well but not ones that burn entire towns and kill 500 people in a day. The intensity of the heat is beyond the normal range.

So - we get a heat wave that kills hundreds for the first time in our history, flooding that shuts the entire province down and causes more damage and hardship than ever before in history, and a drought that's comfortably 10 times worse than we've ever seen. BUT - it's all just media hype. None of it's real? I guess those dead people were just trying to prove a point? The flooding never happened? It rained when we weren't looking?

Whatever. It's pretty obvious even you don't think your argument is defensible or real.

We will be getting more extreme weather events. A wise man prepares for that and doesn't worry. A slow thinker claims it's the media and gets caught off guard when it happens. I prefer to be a wise person. You feel free to do you.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Nobody used the word 'unprecedented'. I get you want to try to change the narrative here but nobody's talking about weather that is without precedent. What we're talking about is extreme weather. Which we've always had - some years are hotter/colder than others. But now those extremes are often higher. Cases in point would be the heat dome last year - we've had heat waves before but that was more extreme than what we've seen in the past. The flooding in the winter - we've had flooding before but that was more extreme than what we've previously seen. And the expectation is that we'll tend to see more of those than we have previously.

I'm gonna be kind and let you think about that for a bit. If we have 10 forest fires a year on average, and then suddenly jump to 100 a year, you COULD say "well we've always had forest fires and they're a good thing historically", but it would be remarkably stupid to suggest that something hasn't changed. It would be even stupider to suggest we shouldn't perhaps look at improving our forest fire fighting ability given that.

Yes - we've had rain before. But the intensity of what happened last winter was severely higher than the normal range.

I guess you could say we've had heat waves before as well but not ones that burn entire towns and kill 500 people in a day. The intensity of the heat is beyond the normal range.

So - we get a heat wave that kills hundreds for the first time in our history, flooding that shuts the entire province down and causes more damage and hardship than ever before in history, and a drought that's comfortably 10 times worse than we've ever seen. BUT - it's all just media hype. None of it's real? I guess those dead people were just trying to prove a point? The flooding never happened? It rained when we weren't looking?

Whatever. It's pretty obvious even you don't think your argument is defensible or real.

We will be getting more extreme weather events. A wise man prepares for that and doesn't worry. A slow thinker claims it's the media and gets caught off guard when it happens. I prefer to be a wise person. You feel free to do you.
Five year ,fifty year , one hundred year and five hundred year flood events are measured on many rivers throughout the province . I am sure those events corespondent with all you have mentioned above in frequency and scope . The heat dome and rain storms could simply be a one of event not to be repeated for decades to come . No one can say when or if they might reoccur . El Ninos come and La Ninas go .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
As Fraser River freshet waters recede, and the city saw some minor flooding along the Vedder River during recent rains, The Chilliwack Progress took a look back at some historical photographs of the large floods that devastated Chilliwack both in 1894 and again in 1948.

The images show aerial views of the high water in downtown Chilliwack and the Fraser River. Boys on homemade rafts can be seen in one image as a rowboat outside the front door of the Toop family house is shown in another photo. Debris is seen floating in the street in one of the historical shots, while in another the water is so high it comes right up to the base of Atchelitz Bridge.

The first major flood came in 1894.

Forest fires have fallen off the map since the heatwave of the early 1900s and heatwave "dirty 30s".

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

When did we have a drought?
Can't count damage to property in the last little rainfall as being more than the last flood for the simple reason there are more people living in the area than in 1948. At that time the water reached the steps of the Royal Hotel in Chilliwack. Did the last one get that far? Same with fires. The fact that a town got built and destroyed between major fires is irrelevant. Even more so when the majority of fires are human caused.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Five year ,fifty year , one hundred year and five hundred year flood events are measured on many rivers throughout the province . I am sure those events corespondent with all you have mentioned above in frequency and scope . The heat dome and rain storms could simply be a one of event not to be repeated for decades to come . No one can say when or if they might reoccur . El Ninos come and La Ninas go .
They did not. The only reason you're "Sure" is because you want it to be true. Which is fine - if you're an ostrich.

And the idea that the other extreme events are 'one offs' is just wishful thinking. A wise man prepares and then doesn't have to trust to luck.

And as previously mentioned, pretending that the weather is just normal and nothing unusual happened is what children would do.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
They did not. The only reason you're "Sure" is because you want it to be true. Which is fine - if you're an ostrich.

And the idea that the other extreme events are 'one offs' is just wishful thinking. A wise man prepares and then doesn't have to trust to luck.

And as previously mentioned, pretending that the weather is just normal and nothing unusual happened is what children would do.
I am prepared as anyone in the big city needs to be , a pair of wellies and a hat .