B.C. drought by the numbers: Vancouver, Victoria saw less than 10% of average rainfall since July

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022

So here's the thing. We can argue why weather is changing, but i think it's time to get serious about accepting that it is and doing the rational thing.

The rational thing is NOT stupid idiotic virtue signalling like carbon taxes that change nothing. Obviously there's NOTHING canada is going to do to make any real change at all.

So we need to get serious about adapting to changing weather patterns. In bc that might mean looking at increasing reservoir capacity and seriously upping the fire fighting teams and efforts to prevent fires from going out of control (clearing dead wood and debris) not to mention improving dikes and such, and in the atlantic it may mean seriously revisiting storm breaks and surge barriers and response ability etc.

If we accept that climate change is real, then we have to accept that adapting to it is far more productive than simply pretending we can fix it in 20 years if we just charge more tax on gas. Time to get real

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
This is not the first time we have had a dry fall , don’t worry you will be wet soon enough . Enjoy it well you can .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Well it's the first time we've had anything close to THIS dry - but again obviously we should be looking to adapt, not adding another 50 cents in taxes to everything and pretending we solved something,

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

So here's the thing. We can argue why weather is changing, but i think it's time to get serious about accepting that it is and doing the rational thing.

The rational thing is NOT stupid idiotic virtue signalling like carbon taxes that change nothing. Obviously there's NOTHING canada is going to do to make any real change at all.

So we need to get serious about adapting to changing weather patterns. In bc that might mean looking at increasing reservoir capacity and seriously upping the fire fighting teams and efforts to prevent fires from going out of control (clearing dead wood and debris) not to mention improving dikes and such, and in the atlantic it may mean seriously revisiting storm breaks and surge barriers and response ability etc.

If we accept that climate change is real, then we have to accept that adapting to it is far more productive than simply pretending we can fix it in 20 years if we just charge more tax on gas. Time to get real
No mention of the unusually cold, wet and late spring.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You know how to solve the problem of oceans that refuse to warm up and shred water?
Yes. Make sure you have water on hand. That way if nature doesn't show up you're good :) It's not complicated. People south of us have been living with this kind of thing for a very long time, we just have to adapt some of their techniques. But - we should adapt.

No mention of the unusually cold, wet and late spring.
Well setting the spring aside for a moment, it follows the worst flooding and destruction we've seen in a while that occurred in dec/jan. And that certainly was a major disaster for many who found themselves completely cut off from resupply or medical services.

Or the heat bubble the year before that killed several hundred people.

All of these things can be adapted to. But you just have to make a bit of an effort.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
It is raining now , life returning to normal .
Which is great. God knows we needed it. But your own comment implies even you didn't think it was 'normal' before :)

So the question remains, why aren't we pushing for gov'ts to adapt rather than pretend we can "get rid" of climate change with a gas tax. If droughts are going to be a thing for us now then fine - lets increase our reservoir capacity. It's not like we're anywhere near max :) Then it's not a problem any more.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Which is great. God knows we needed it. But your own comment implies even you didn't think it was 'normal' before :)

So the question remains, why aren't we pushing for gov'ts to adapt rather than pretend we can "get rid" of climate change with a gas tax. If droughts are going to be a thing for us now then fine - lets increase our reservoir capacity. It's not like we're anywhere near max :) Then it's not a problem any more.
Next year the weather will be different , and we will be crying all the same .

Reactions: petros

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Next year the weather will be different , and we will be crying all the same .
YOU might be crying. I generally adapt :) so no crying needed. Air conditioning got finished early this year and the pipes got better insulation to make sure if it's extra cold no problems. Made other upgrades too. And i'm toying with some water storage for next year, but honestly the 'drought' didn't affect me much in that regard. My community custom did it's water supply a few years back and we're not running out no matter how much drought there is. We didn't even have any watering restrictions.

So i was pretty darn comfortable :) For me it was just a really nice summer and a great fall. But i see a lot of other people crying.

So people with an attitude like yours may very well cry next year. What i'm suggesting is that a little adaptation goes a long way INSTEAD of crying. Or doing something useless like carbon taxes. It's weird that you're being so resistant to the idea. I don't know why you wouldn't prefer to take a few steps now that means we are more weather resistant in the future. But hey, if that's how you prefer it, cry away i guess. I just think it makes more sense to adapt to weather changes instead of being upset by them.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
YOU might be crying. I generally adapt :) so no crying needed. Air conditioning got finished early this year and the pipes got better insulation to make sure if it's extra cold no problems. Made other upgrades too. And i'm toying with some water storage for next year, but honestly the 'drought' didn't affect me much in that regard. My community custom did it's water supply a few years back and we're not running out no matter how much drought there is. We didn't even have any watering restrictions.

So i was pretty darn comfortable :) For me it was just a really nice summer and a great fall. But i see a lot of other people crying.

So people with an attitude like yours may very well cry next year. What i'm suggesting is that a little adaptation goes a long way INSTEAD of crying. Or doing something useless like carbon taxes. It's weird that you're being so resistant to the idea. I don't know why you wouldn't prefer to take a few steps now that means we are more weather resistant in the future. But hey, if that's how you prefer it, cry away i guess. I just think it makes more sense to adapt to weather changes instead of being upset by them.
Yikes . Why do I need to adapt , life is the same here it always has been rain in winter , spring and fall interspersed with the odd sunny day , all one needs is a hat and a good pair of wellies .

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

That won't fit the dogma. Carbon scam tax isn't even really a tax, but a wealth redistribution scheme, since some low income people will get a rebate and the tax doesn't apply to exported fossil fuels.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
That won't fit the dogma. Carbon scam tax isn't even really a tax, but a wealth redistribution scheme, since some low income people will get a rebate and the tax doesn't apply to exported fossil fuels.
Well it's mostly a tax with a little wealth redistribution thrown in for good measure. I believe the budget officer found that 80 percent of the people or more are worse off after the tax than before, and of the remainder only a small percent actually sees a noticeable benefit (the rest being around the break even point).

But you're right. It won't fit the dogma at all. And that's a problem.

It is not sane to think that we can resolve the issue of occasionally having more extreme weather events like the flooding last winter or the heat dome or the recent drought by somehow taxing our way out of it. THat is simply not sane.

It IS sane to think that adapting to it is 1000 times easier and more efficient. Which doesn't mean we still can't look at climate change if people want, but at least we will have done something real and useful in the meantime.

But absolutely nobody is talking about it. For the very reason you mention. it doesn't fit the narrative.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well it's mostly a tax with a little wealth redistribution thrown in for good measure. I believe the budget officer found that 80 percent of the people or more are worse off after the tax than before, and of the remainder only a small percent actually sees a noticeable benefit (the rest being around the break even point).

But you're right. It won't fit the dogma at all. And that's a problem.

It is not sane to think that we can resolve the issue of occasionally having more extreme weather events like the flooding last winter or the heat dome or the recent drought by somehow taxing our way out of it. THat is simply not sane.

It IS sane to think that adapting to it is 1000 times easier and more efficient. Which doesn't mean we still can't look at climate change if people want, but at least we will have done something real and useful in the meantime.

But absolutely nobody is talking about it. For the very reason you mention. it doesn't fit the narrative.
Where does it say we will continue having these extreme events ? The weather is different every year but somehow the climate stays the same .

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You are funny . The man who has never complained about the weather yet spending thousands worried about affects .
I never have to complain about the weather BECAUSE i spent money preparing for it's effects. :)

How is this a hard concept? it's pretty simple.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Where does it say we will continue having these extreme events ? The weather is different every year but somehow the climate stays the same .
Right here - "We will continue to have more extreme events". There you go. Not complex.

They won't happen all the time, but we'll get more of them.

Would you like to put some cash down saying there won't be any more extreme weather events in the next 2 years? Couple hundred bucks to make it interesting?

No? Hmmm. Well there you go.

For whatever reason the weather is changing a little. Which is no surprise, it always has. And we will get some more extreme weather as a result. So a wise man prepares for that .