Assembling a new barbeque

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As I said, we did a couple of chickens the other night. It sounded like a good plan but what I didn't count on was all that fat that the chicken halves gave off. I spent most of my time putting out fires. I did the steak directly on the grille. It looks like maybe chickens would do better wrapped in foil.

Anybody have any experience cooking chicken on a gas grille? Any suggestions?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Fire up the BBQ & bring the temperature up (mine doesn't have a thermostat).
Then turn off one set (side) of burners, while leaving the other side going.

Put your chicken on the grill on the side where the burners are off, & close the lid.
You still get those cool grill marks and lots of heat, but the fire is on the other side
of the BBQ. ;-)

I'm assuming the fancy new BBQ has more than one burner. :lol:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
As I said, we did a couple of chickens the other night. It sounded like a good plan but what I didn't count on was all that fat that the chicken halves gave off. I spent most of my time putting out fires. I did the steak directly on the grille. It looks like maybe chickens would do better wrapped in foil.

Anybody have any experience cooking chicken on a gas grille? Any suggestions?

I put my chicken in boiling water for 15 minutes before bbqing them. There won't be any fat fires, and the chicken turns out great.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Has anybody b’bqed egg plant? Egg plant is a watery vegetable and barbeques very well. Cut the egg plant into 1 cm think slices, brush it with oil on both sides (oil burns off, you don’t end up consuming it) and with seasoning if you prefer.

Cook for about three minutes on each side.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Has anybody b’bqed egg plant? Egg plant is a watery vegetable and barbeques very well. Cut the egg plant into 1 cm think slices, brush it with oil on both sides (oil burns off, you don’t end up consuming it) and with seasoning if you prefer.

Cook for about three minutes on each side.

I have actually wondered about bbqing eggplant. What seasonings do you use?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Put your chicken on the grill on the side where the burners are off, & close the lid.
You still get those cool grill marks and lots of heat, but the fire is on the other side
of the BBQ. ;-)

It has three burners on which you can turn the gas up or down. What I can't change is the distance from the flame. I was barbequeing two chickens that had been cut in half with a leg, a wing, and a half breast on each piece. There is a little oil pan that is supposed to catch the excess oil that I emptied maybe three times and I still had a quarter inch of chicken fat on the bottom of the BBQ. If boiling in water for fifteen minutes works Risus, I'll be in your debt. Thanks

Ron I tried using the burners selectively but there was just too much oil. We'll get there eventually. I'll let you all know what works best. Thanks.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I have actually wondered about bbqing eggplant. What seasonings do you use?

You can cook it without any seasoning, just brush a bit of oil on both surfaces. Or you could be creative with seasonings. I have used a paste of curry powder and garlic powder in olive oil

It is a great alternative to corn.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It has three burners on which you can turn the gas up or down. What I can't change is the distance from the flame. I was barbequeing two chickens that had been cut in half with a leg, a wing, and a half breast on each piece. There is a little oil pan that is supposed to catch the excess oil that I emptied maybe three times and I still had a quarter inch of chicken fat on the bottom of the BBQ. If boiling in water for fifteen minutes works Risus, I'll be in your debt. Thanks

Ron I tried using the burners selectively but there was just too much oil. We'll get there eventually. I'll let you all know what works best. Thanks.

I'll second the boiling thing....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I an surprised a new replacement burner was 4120. I used to be in the barbecue business a few years ago, and stainless steel burners went for around $40.

I have found that even the bbqs that said no tools required went together easier if you did use tools.
Anyway, enjoy your new 'q' and steaks!!

I haven't yet fugured just where you got the 4120. number. I could have bought new burners etc for something like $120.00 plus a few other odds and sods that may or may not have fit. on the almost twenty year old barbeque. I decided to go with a new barbeque that had four controllable burners, electric spark ignition and all the racks can be put in your oven on the clean cycle and they are like new again. features the old barbeque didn't have.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I haven't yet fugured just where you got the 4120. number. I could have bought new burners etc for something like $120.00 plus a few other odds and sods that may or may not have fit. on the almost twenty year old barbeque. I decided to go with a new barbeque that had four controllable burners, electric spark ignition and all the racks can be put in your oven on the clean cycle and they are like new again. features the old barbeque didn't have.
Yeah, I miss typed. Should have been $120. I diidn't think burners went for that much. A few years ago they were $40 or $50.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I sold my old BBQ 3 years ago when I moved out here to Alberta. We never bothered to buy another until yesterday. I assembled the Master Chef S480 from Canadian Tire last night. I worked late into the night and I got the darned thing together with only 4 screws left over. We had our first BBQ this evening. Gotta love that electric start eh Juan?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I sold my old BBQ 3 years ago when I moved out here to Alberta. We never bothered to buy another until yesterday. I assembled the Master Chef S480 from Canadian Tire last night. I worked late into the night and I got the darned thing together with only 4 screws left over. We had our first BBQ this evening. Gotta love that electric start eh Juan?
We just bought a Master Chef a couple of weeks ago. I don't know which model and I'm not about to uncover the BBQ to find out. Bought it at Home Depot and paid $35.00 for it to be assembled. It was well worth it.

of the BBQ. ;-)

We do that (burner off on one side) with chicken and with roasts on a spit. I do boil chicken and Ribs first if I am doing them on the grill. The BBQ is just to finish them off and add a little flavour.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
VanIsle, the Master Chef S480 has the quad burners, flame tamers and electric start...ar ar ar. I've already curled the vinyl siding on house with the heat from this thing. You can't approach the unit unless you have a hazmat suit on and fire retardant oven mitts. Welders goggles are also recommended.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
My son and I were going to barbeque last weekend, but when I opened the lid there was mouse turds in it. Yuck!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
VanIsle, the Master Chef S480 has the quad burners, flame tamers and electric start...ar ar ar. I've already curled the vinyl siding on house with the heat from this thing. You can't approach the unit unless you have a hazmat suit on and fire retardant oven mitts. Welders goggles are also recommended.
Ours is nothing like that. We BBQ all year round. In this moist climate that means our BBQ has to be replaced about every 3 years. I don't like side burners so we avoid those and too many BTU's simply mean a lot of charred food. We have learned over the years that we should not buy the expensive models because either way - they don't last here. If we pulled it around to our garage all the time it would be okay but we like it handy so while we keep it covered, it still rusts out and we still have to replace it. We have lived here since October of 2002 and we are on our 3rd new BBQ. We don't get the real cheapies nor do we go for the big classy models anymore. We used to feel we had to buy top of the line but now we just stay middle of the road.
Some years ago we lived up Island and we had a heavy duty BBQ. Our son turned it on and curled the siding on our new house. I said nothing to his Dad hoping it would not get noticed. Then we had some friends drop by who said "what happened to your siding"!!! I never thought about it melting in the first place and certainly didn't expect anyone to rat out our son.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ever put one together and have a bunch of pieces left over?

Scary.

You know, there was not even an extra screw. If I had lost one, I would have had to find one somewhere or buy one. I think that is running things a bit tight.