Assembling a new barbeque

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
On the first half decent weekend this year I tried to fire up the gas barbeque and the burners had apparently finished rusting away over the winter. Canadian Tire and Home Hardware both will sell replacement burners and bits and pieces to get the thing working again but the cost was around a hundred and twenty dollars and I decided that for a few dollars more I could buy a brand new barbeque with all the new features the old barbeque didn't have. Yesterday, three hundred dollars later, I had our new barbeque on our sun deck in a huge cardboard box. There is some assembly required with my new "Chef Master" barbeque from Canadian Tire. There is a lot of assembly required and some of it requires three or four hands. Anyway, the assembly is about half done and I reckon another two hours should finish it off and we can barbeque the steaks that we planned to have yesterday

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
On the first half decent weekend this year I tried to fire up the gas barbeque and the burners had apparently finished rusting away over the winter. Canadian Tire and Home Hardware both will sell replacement burners and bits and pieces to get the thing working again but the cost was around a hundred and twenty dollars and I decided that for a few dollars more I could buy a brand new barbeque with all the new features the old barbeque didn't have. Yesterday, three hundred dollars later, I had our new barbeque on our sun deck in a huge cardboard box. There is some assembly required with my new "Chef Master" barbeque fron Canadian Tire. There is a lot of assembly required and some of it requires three or four hands. Anyway, the assembly is about half done and I reckon another two hours should finish it off and we can barbeque the steaks that we planned to have yesterday

I am surprised a new replacement burner was 4120. I used to be in the barbecue business a few years ago, and stainless steel burners went for around $40.

I have found that even the bbqs that said no tools required went together easier if you did use tools.
Anyway, enjoy your new 'q' and steaks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Seems like this guy just jumped out of a plane, trying parachuting. After several hundreds of feet of free fall, after several desperate pulls, his chute refuses to open.

As he is falling, he meets a guy in the air, flying UPWARDS. He shouts to him: "Do you know antyhing about parachutes?"

The guy answers: "NO! Do you know anything about gas BBQ's"?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Seems like this guy just jumped out of a plane, trying parachuting. After several hundreds of feet of free fall, after several desperate pulls, his chute refuses to open.

As he is falling, he meets a guy in the air, flying UPWARDS. He shouts to him: "Do you know antyhing about parachutes?"

The guy answers: "NO! Do you know anything about gas BBQ's"?
lmao Thanks, Jack. :D

Juan, I hope you get your BBQ all fixed up. We got a stainless jobbie a while back that was a bit more stubborn to put together than the advertising touted. It works great, though.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, I hope you get your BBQ all fixed up. We got a stainless jobbie a while back that was a bit more stubborn to put together than the advertising touted. It works great, though.

The assembly was relatively easy........I mean it is not rocket science. You just need an extra pair of hands occasionally. My only other complaint is that the drawings and instructions are really awful.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The assembly was relatively easy........I mean it is not rocket science. You just need an extra pair of hands occasionally. My only other complaint is that the drawings and instructions are really awful.
That's what I meant. The picture on our box of parts showed typical housewife patting her newly built BBQ with her apron-clad husband (supposedly) smiling behind it. "Easy to assemble", it said, and the instructions referred to the parts with letters. Well, if automakers published shop manuals for their cars using letters instead of names of parts, mechanics would really be screwed. lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
They usually put in an extra piece or 2, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah. If I remember correctly, we didn't have any burners or wheels left over, but we did have nuts n screws left over. My guess is, the packagers didn't really count how many they packaged. :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We got the barbeque put together and it worked perfectly. We had a pair of rib eye steaks waitng and they turned our great. We got the barbeque from Canadian Tire. It is a Chef Master 400. The neat thing is that you can light any one of the four burner elements with a push of a button. We have some friends over tomorrow and we can do a couple chickens along with some corn on the cob. Looking forward to Summer. :lol:

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What's wrong with an old hubcap, shelf out of an oven and a few briquettes or pieces of wood? Simple,cheap and spare parts can usually be found along any gravel road.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Saw these advertised on tv this morning

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

When I bought my b'bq many years ago, I simply paid Canadian Tire 25$ to assemble it for me. They delivered it all assembled, ready to use. In my opinion, the extra money was well worth it, to avoid all the headache of putting it together.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I hate those damned directions that come in some sort of English translated directly from Chinese....

You got that right. They gave every part a number but there was no identifying number on any part. We ended up taking a digital camera to the Can Tire store and photographing the unit that was already assembled. It took us about five hours to put the damn thing together. The good news is that it works great.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When I bought my b'bq many years ago, I simply paid Canadian Tire 25$ to assemble it for me. They delivered it all assembled, ready to use. In my opinion, the extra money was well worth it, to avoid all the headache of putting it together.

I asked about it, but the guy said they didn't offer that service. I would have paid double that at least.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We got the barbeque put together and it worked perfectly. We had a pair of rib eye steaks waitng and they turned our great. We got the barbeque from Canadian Tire. It is a Chef Master 400. The neat thing is that you can light any one of the four burner elements with a push of a button. We have some friends over tomorrow and we can do a couple chickens along with some corn on the cob. Looking forward to Summer. :lol:
Next thing you know we'll have BBQ's that park themselves when we are done with them, start from remote, and make rude noises when someone bumps them, too.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What's wrong with an old hubcap, shelf out of an oven and a few briquettes or pieces of wood? Simple,cheap and spare parts can usually be found along any gravel road.
Newfie/redneck/homeless (pick your descriptive) BBQ: