Anyone following the Penticton B.C. missing couple story?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It wouldn't be (forum like) if we all reserved our judgement until the police investigation is over and I'm sure that the police do not discount foul play.....

Years ago here in Northern Ontario, an OPP officer named Deveaux (I forget his first name), went missing on a fishing trip on a river, his canoe overturned, and all his tent and gear on the side of the river.
They had search parties, and divers in the river to find his body in the river....the OPP go all out trying to find one of their own.
After about two weeks, one smart officer decided to check the guy's credit card and found one purchase made in Vancouver, a couple of days after the incident.
And that's where they found him schacked-up with a young woman...
He had decided to leave his wife and his job, and they couldn't charge him with any crime, since he hadn't commited any crime......and the credit card purchase that found him also proved that he wasn't trying to hide.....smart cop heh?
Since this all happened in late '80s early'90s, I can't seem to find any reference to the case...but I'll post it if I find any....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh grow up

You and perhaps even I may not agree with his position or his opinion on this subject, but he has every right to question or comment on this situation just as much as those giving well wishes and kissing her ass.

It's in the news, it's being shoved in our faces by all of the media that I come across.... as far as I'm concerned, her "Ordeal" is open to discussion and debate.

Don't like it?

Don't get involved.

Offended that someone is questioning the details of the story?

Too bad.

Added:

Oh and the personal insults don't help your argument.

I see, so she can be offensive towards someone she doesn't know because she doesn't agree with what she did, but I can't do the same thing to someone I don't know when I don't agree with that person. Is that the way it works prax? If she can voice her opinion, then I can voice mine, and as far as I'm considered she's a useless piece of skin for the accusations and the implications she has posted. Don't like it, put me on ignore. Don't like my choice of fu cking adjectives, put me on ignore. Otherwise, suck it up buttercup.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I see, so she can be offensive towards someone she doesn't know because she doesn't agree with what she did, but I can't do the same thing to someone I don't know when I don't agree with that person. Is that the way it works prax?

If you don't want to look like an equal Fu*king Idiot, yes, that's how it works, I'm glad we understand each other.

If she can voice her opinion, then I can voice mine, and as far as I'm considered she's a useless piece of skin for the accusations and the implications she has posted. Don't like it, put me on ignore. Don't like my choice of fu cking adjectives, put me on ignore. Otherwise, suck it up buttercup.

Aw, now wouldn't you just love me putting you on ignore?

No, actually there's another option which would be to report your personal insult to a mod..... that is if I really wanted to be a jackass.

And I am tempted at being a jackass today.

Other members can voice their opinions on a subject or people within a topic..... that's already well established in these forums, last I checked anyways.

But that does not equal to you singling out a member for their opinions and dropping personal insults their way simply because you didn't like their opinion or because they didn't kiss someone's ass enough for your liking..... someone you never met either and feel justified in defending with personal insults because you somehow think she'll come into these forums and read any of this.... or perhaps to pat yourself on the shoulder and think you did something benevolent.

I can post a thread or news report and call someone in that report a complete retarded moron all I want, but I can not do the same towards other members in these forums without facing some sort of consequence.

Otherwise I would have laid into you a long time ago and tell you how I truly feel..... and that just wouldn't be polite.

As far as I'm aware, you, I and everybody else are free to express our opinions on any given topic or thread/subject..... but this topic & thread isn't about what we think of AnotherMother. Attacking what she said is not the same thing as attacking her directly because of what she said.

It's simple.

By the way, I don't remember her insulting anybody, but raising questions, voicing her opinion & things that don't add up to her.

There's nothing wrong with someone saying how they might have reacted in a similar situation, even if you or I don't agree.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm sure they discussed the plan in length before he left.

They probably decided that she stay put, and he walk out, obviously.

They probably agreed that she should not leave the vehicle.

She probably thought about it many times, but would wonder that perhaps he would return,
and not know where she had gone.

I'm sure she thought he would show up at any moment for many many days, and when he still
had not come back, sure she would worry and wonder, but what is the point of her doing the same. Staying with the vehicle was
the safest thing for her to do, and obviously it saved her life.

Why was he not found on the road, if it was that simple, just walk back along the road the same way
you had driven in, then why didn't he do that, perhaps he was attacked by a bear, or a cougar, or
decided to take 'another' short cut, not too smart, he should have stayed on the road, or return to
the vehicle.

We can only speculate, there is no point in trashing either one of them, there is too much sadness
in their lives right now, just imagine if it was someone close to you, how would you feel, it is
just 'sad'.

I remember the story about the fellow who took the short cut over the hills somewhere in california
some years ago, he got many miles in, came onto snow, eventually his car got stuck, he waited and
waited, it was cold and snowy, no one knew where to look for him, during that time the road he
drove on was closed for the winter, he eventually knew he would die there and began writing journals,
and they found him very dead in his car with his story written, right beside him.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not judging this situation at all but I heartily agree with petros and SLM - never ever split up when you are lost. Your chances of surviving are markedly better if you stick together. I do hope that all turns out well but my hopes are fading fast.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not judging this situation at all but I heartily agree with petros and SLM - never ever split up when you are lost. Your chances of surviving are markedly better if you stick together. I do hope that all turns out well but my hopes are fading fast.

yes, once they split up, it was definitely touch and go, but I guess we must try to put ourselves in
a situation like that, just sitting there would be very difficult, I can imagine the restlessness and
also the fear that would set in, causing them 'not' to think logically but more emotionally and
maybe a bit panicky.

I'm sure he thought he could just walk all the way out, get some help and return within a couple of
days.

I sure wonder what happened to him.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Pssst. Mothers aren't "hims".

Another rule thumb when travelling. Toss the GPS your grandkids gave you out the window. If you don't it will tell you to take a shortcut on a logging road up a mountain pass.

This needs to be looked into for sure. There was also the girl heading home to NB or NS that was led up a logging road by her GPS. Found luckily in only 4 days. We have had a couple experiences with our Garmin GPS being totally wrong also.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This needs to be looked into for sure. There was also the girl heading home to NB or NS that was led up a logging road by her GPS. Found luckily in only 4 days. We have had a couple experiences with our Garmin GPS being totally wrong also.

Let me see. If you're using your GPS to go to a place you've never been, and you pass by a big roadsign telling you to take this exit, wouldn't you take the exit? Apparently not. And if your GPS told you to go down a road that had not been plowed, in the middle of winter, wouldn't you stop and think twice? Apparently not.

A GPS is a handy tool. Common sense, however, is far more useful.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you sit for 49 days when you are not injured and wait. Only 9 miles to the highway. If you were my husband I would be desperately looking for you not taking little walks wondering where you are if you had not come back by the next day! I would be more worried for your well being as my other half you are and what had happened to you not waiting for 49 days to pass. We have had to sleep in the vehicle on a washed out logging road road we slept in the car waited until the morning cold and damp on a logging road. It was 10 miles of dirt road into the bush to get to town from where we were. I have been there! Our neighbours son was misssing out there 17 years old they found his body about 40 yards off in the underbrush after search and rescue had been there for weeks. He was right there. No way would I have stayed in that vehicle for that many days. My dumb ass brother took him two days two mountains we figured they had been over he and a friend walked out found some loggers working after having slept on the mountain lost mushroom picking found there way out. Cold and wet and hungry. So yes we have been trapped stuck and slept in the vehicle but paid a little more attention I guess in the middle of the night with the rain and the thick woods. We just never let anyone ever wander off alone. It is easy to blame when it seems like common sense should prevail.

So I really hope that makes me not a ****ing idiot for knowing to stay together

And if I type the fu with a space before the rest of the word I can swear on here too wow

The bottom line is she made all the right decisions. I question the decision to go into the back woods without an adequate food supply, proper footwear for hiking and clothing for spending nights in the outdoors.

I'm sure they discussed the plan in length before he left.

They probably decided that she stay put, and he walk out, obviously.

They probably agreed that she should not leave the vehicle.

She probably thought about it many times, but would wonder that perhaps he would return,
and not know where she had gone.

I'm sure she thought he would show up at any moment for many many days, and when he still
had not come back, sure she would worry and wonder, but what is the point of her doing the same. Staying with the vehicle was
the safest thing for her to do, and obviously it saved her life.

Why was he not found on the road, if it was that simple, just walk back along the road the same way
you had driven in, then why didn't he do that, perhaps he was attacked by a bear, or a cougar, or
decided to take 'another' short cut, not too smart, he should have stayed on the road, or return to
the vehicle.

We can only speculate, there is no point in trashing either one of them, there is too much sadness
in their lives right now, just imagine if it was someone close to you, how would you feel, it is
just 'sad'.

I remember the story about the fellow who took the short cut over the hills somewhere in california
some years ago, he got many miles in, came onto snow, eventually his car got stuck, he waited and
waited, it was cold and snowy, no one knew where to look for him, during that time the road he
drove on was closed for the winter, he eventually knew he would die there and began writing journals,
and they found him very dead in his car with his story written, right beside him.

If you have any idea you are going to be in a situation where you have to hike in the bush, be sure to have several rolls of survey flagging so you can flag your trail every 50 yards or so, so at least you can find your way back and so others searching for you can pick up your trail.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If you don't want to look like an equal Fu*king Idiot, yes, that's how it works, I'm glad we understand each other.

If I actually gave a shyte about "looking like an idiot" in some brainless wonders eyes, you "might" have a point.

Aw, now wouldn't you just love me putting you on ignore?

I couldn't care less.

No, actually there's another option which would be to report your personal insult to a mod..... that is if I really wanted to be a jackass.

And I am tempted at being a jackass today.

Go for it, I've been reported by far better people than you.

Other members can voice their opinions on a subject or people within a topic..... that's already well established in these forums, last I checked anyways.

But that does not equal to you singling out a member for their opinions and dropping personal insults their way simply because you didn't like their opinion or because they didn't kiss someone's ass enough for your liking..... someone you never met either and feel justified in defending with personal insults because you somehow think she'll come into these forums and read any of this.... or perhaps to pat yourself on the shoulder and think you did something benevolent.

Hmmmmm, I gather you're psychic since you seem to know what I "think". Can you also tell us the winning numbers on Fridays lotto max?

I can post a thread or news report and call someone in that report a complete retarded moron all I want, but I can not do the same towards other members in these forums without facing some sort of consequence.

Nope, if you're going to call someone a "retarded moron" you should be prepared to receive the same.

Otherwise I would have laid into you a long time ago and tell you how I truly feel..... and that just wouldn't be polite.

Go for it.

As far as I'm aware, you, I and everybody else are free to express our opinions on any given topic or thread/subject..... but this topic & thread isn't about what we think of AnotherMother. Attacking what she said is not the same thing as attacking her directly because of what she said.

Then I guess she should have done, what a few others in this thread did, and stuck to just commenting on "what" her and her husband did without the implications that she was responsible for his death because of what she didn't do.

By the way, I don't remember her insulting anybody, but raising questions, voicing her opinion & things that don't add up to her.

There's nothing wrong with someone saying how they might have reacted in a similar situation, even if you or I don't agree.

I guess your memory isn't very good then. Maybe you should have that checked out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another Mother
gerryh is absolutely right. You are an f-ing idiot. You have a lot of nerve judging this woman! You have no clue; maybe she has medical/physical issues that would prevent her from walking very far. I don’t care what her age is. And I care even less what you would do in what you think would be that situation.
(Mrs. Chretien is the same age as my sister. With physical issues my sister has, she can’t hardly walk to the end of the city block.)
As far as your comment.. “the son calls him Al not dad” What business is it of yours what he calls him!?!

As right as you guys are and I agree with the gist of your comments, wouldn't it be more appropriate just to say "you are drawing the wrong conclusions due to not knowing all the details" than to say "you are a fu cking idiot"- they both convey approximately the same message but one is more polite. :smile:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As right as you guys are and I agree with the gist of your comments, wouldn't it be more appropriate just to say "you are drawing the wrong conclusions due to not knowing all the details" than to say "you are a fu cking idiot"- they both convey approximately the same message but one is more polite. :smile:

Yup, could have.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Missing B.C. man's body found

By Michael Platt, QMI Agency

CALGARY - It’s a bittersweet discovery that brings closure for a Canadian woman who spent 49 days lost in the Nevada wilderness.
Rita Chretien, of Penticton, B.C., has confirmed police in Elko, Nev., have located the body of her husband Albert Chretien, who went missing in March 2011 while seeking help for his ailing wife.

“It’s final closure — you can say goodbye, but there’s always that part missing. This is the physical proof that he’s not out there, wandering around somewhere,” Rita told QMI Agency.
The couple were on their way to a trade show when their van ended up stuck on a wilderness road.
Albert went looking for help, and was never seen alive again.
Rita stayed with the van, eating trail mix, candy and snow, before hunters found her nearly two months later.

Missing B.C. man's body found - Canada - Canoe.ca

A sad but not unexpected ending. At least the family can lay him to rest now.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:-(........The hunters who found him said he was going in the right direction, and was not "too far" from a road, but was probably overcome by deep snow.

Very sad.