Curried Shrimp

Ingredients

one pound of large, peeled, raw, shrimp
one medium white onion chopped
one large clove of garlic crushed and finely chopped
one medium red bell pepper finely chopped
one can chunk light tuna including the juice
two tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes(or to taste)
two to three tablespoons flour
1/4 pound of butter
one cup milk
one cup creamo

Directions

Saute onions, garlic, and peppers in hot butter until onions are tender
Add curry powder, red pepper flakes, and flour. Stir well until butter and flour are well incorporated. Add the milk and cream. Stir over medium heat until milk thickens. Add the can of tuna with the juice. With a wooden spoon, crush all the lumps of tuna until the sauce is quite smooth. Add in the shrimp and stir gently while the curry is heating up again. If sauce is too thick, add a bit more milk. Simmer for another twenty five minutes.

I would serve this curry with steamed rice and your choice of veggies This curry will be fairly hot (spicey hot) You might put a couple small bowls of sour cream on the table so your guests can put their fire out....;-)

My wife and I enjoy this curry so it isn't extremely hot.

PS...If you've peeled those shrimp, you could simmer the skins and stuff in a half cup of water for about twenty five minutes and use it in place of a half cup of the milk.

Last edited:

Artryru

Nominee Member
Jan 27, 2009
My sister's cauliflower curry chowder is to die for. I've been begging her to give me the recipe, but she's being evil and would won't divalge her secret.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Chickpea and tomato curry. Really good with fish.

Preparation Directions
1. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, gingerroot and curry powder in oil about 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are tender.

2. Stir in chick peas and tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro, lemon juice and salt.

3. Serve over rice; top each serving with yogurt.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I've printed out both these recipes.

I LOVE CURRY...you could put curry on cement and I'd eat it

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My family loves green curry. We just buy the canned liquid from Super Store, to pour over whatever veggies and meat (chicken or shrimp) that we've whipped up. The kids LOVE the stuff.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Me and my wife have researched Indian food for a long time and have some pretty good tricks for making it. We don't use curry powder, preferring to mix and grind all the spices when we're going to use them. A mix that goes great with most things includes cumin, coriander, fenugreek, turmeric (has to be powder, never seen the fresh stuff) hot mustard powder, hot pepper (flakes or powder) black pepper, little bit of cloves and salt to taste. Grind all this up then set it aside- often we'll add water to it to make a kind of thin paste

Fry up some onions til they're "clear", then add whatever you are planning on "currying"- a fine suggestion here would be eggplant cut in cubes. Toss it around with the onions til it starts to get nice and cooked on the outside. Once it is on its way, thoss in a can of chickpeas (drained), then add the spice mixture and a half a cube of creamed coconut (comes in little bricks)some chopped garlic and if you like, tomatoes in some form (you can use canned or fresh it really doesn't matter)

Turn the heat down so it simmers and cover it and stir it frequently til it has reduced down to where you like it and eat with rice

Oh and if you want a variation on the taste, take any "whole" spices (black pepper, cumin, coriander, cloves) and put them in the dry frying pan before you add any oil or onions- make sure to keep them moving as they WILL burn- once they start to smell nice and toasted, pour them out into a bowl and let them cool before you grate them. This will soften the "strength" of the spices a bit but adds a nice nutty taste to the whole dish- we do this for 1 out of every 3 curries we make

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My family loves green curry. We just buy the canned liquid from Super Store, to pour over whatever veggies and meat (chicken or shrimp) that we've whipped up. The kids LOVE the stuff.

I've never used any canned liquid. Do you have a brand name? I use good curry powder or one of the curry pastes like Vindaloo. Some of the traditional Indian curries are like molten lava.....Imagine a recipe for four people using a tablespoon of Cayanne pepper....Too much warmth for me;-):lol:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Green Curry would PROBABLY be based on fresh coriander

OH and something that goes GREAT with curry is Indian pickle, they don't use vinegar so the taste is kind of strange (mostly from the asafoetida I think) but they are a MUST if you really want to authentic it up- lemon or lime pickle tends to be the least hot (some are sweet, many are spicy and SOME are deadly hot)

Patak's makes some darn good pickle (and if you are lookin for it, it looks more like jam or something, not like "normal" pickles in any way)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Green Curry would PROBABLY be based on fresh coriander

OH and something that goes GREAT with curry is Indian pickle, they don't use vinegar so the taste is kind of strange (mostly from the asafoetida I think) but they are a MUST if you really want to authentic it up- lemon or lime pickle tends to be the least hot (some are sweet, many are spicy and SOME are deadly hot)

Patak's makes some darn good pickle (and if you are lookin for it, it looks more like jam or something, not like "normal" pickles in any way)

Thanks mabudon
Any tips are welcome. I have a few recipes but anything you can come up with would be appreciated......Cheers

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've never used any canned liquid. Do you have a brand name? I use good curry powder or one of the curry pastes like Vindaloo. Some of the traditional Indian curries are like molten lava.....Imagine a recipe for four people using a tablespoon of Cayanne pepper....Too much warmth for me;-):lol:

Green curry is Thai... it's coconut milk, lemon grass, ginger or galangal, green chilies, coriander, garlic, and other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

We use either President's Choice brand, or, Taste of Thai brand. Both are equivalent, and both are DELISH. Since none of the ingredients are things I would have on hand in my pantry on a normal day, I feel justified buying premade sauce rather than making it myself, unlike other sauces and spice blends.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quoting Karrie
We use either President's Choice brand, or, Taste of Thai brand. Both are equivalent, and both are DELISH. Since none of the ingredients are things I would have on hand in my pantry on a normal day, I feel justified buying premade sauce rather than making it myself, unlike other sauces and spice blends.

Whenever we have lamb chops, we have at least one meal of curried lamb. I always buy leg chops rather than loin or shoulder chops. A little more expensive but worth it. I will try that curry sauce the next time we have lamb.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Whenever we have lamb chops, we have at least one meal of curried lamb. I always buy leg chops rather than loin or shoulder chops. A little more expensive but worth it. I will try that curry sauce the next time we have lamb.

I don't know how it would be with lamb juan. It's great with seafood and chicken, but, I've never tried with red meat.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't know how it would be with lamb juan. It's great with seafood and chicken, but, I've never tried with red meat.

There are lots of green lamb curry recipes out there. I think lamb lends itself to curry recipes better than most things. I will let you know how it turned out.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
If you can find them grinding mustard seeds is better than the powered. There are also curry leaves that help build the heat that is present without burning your mouth.

A mortor and pestle are great for grinding spices nice and fine.

Also I find tossing frozen peas into the curry works some sort of magic.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Ahh yes peas are good- sometimes I will make either lentils or peas beforehand, boil them til mushy and mix them into a curry.. I can't believe I never thought of using frozen peas- and we're makin curry tomorrow so I have it fresh in my mind

Thanks for posting that idea!

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Hey Karrie, thanks for the tip on the green curry sauce. When you said your kids liked it I figured it wouldn't be overly hot. At my wee grocery here they had jars of PC red and yellow curry sauce. No green. Then I saw it, in a small can, with the tiny word "HOT" on it, which I didn't see.

So I threw some over some veggies and rice, and :angryfire:. No, I wasn't mad, but flames were sure shooting out my mouth. Yowza! I had just used a little, so since then I have learned to temper the heat with a bit of tumeric. And I love it. I've tried it with all sorts of things. I adore the kefir lime leaves in it. Yum yum.

So this will now be a staple in my pantry. I was wondering if you get yours in a jar as it seems a bit more economical in that size. Have you tried the red or yellow? I went to the PC web site and didn't find a match for green curry hot, only medium. So that made me curious. Of course I didn't read all the 200,000 Google matches, but I was wondering if this hot one was a special run, or maybe something left over from years ago. 8O

If anyone knows more about this, I'd love to hear about it. As well as what the PC yellow and red curry sauces are like. I did save the recipe for the make-your-own spice, and thanks for that Mabudon. But I do so appreciate something in a jar, too. :smile: