Another Trudeau scandal?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is such a weird subject when it comes to a minimum wages…. Because minimum implies the bare bones, bottom end, and is that keeping up with inflation?

Between 2015 and today, how much less does your paycheque purchase if your pay has remained Static in that period? That would be the equivalent of a drop in income of what? 15%? 20%? Has the minimum wage increased by at least 20% just to keep up?
There are heavy cost of living swings across Canada. Even within Provinces so its a "weird" call as you say.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
This is such a weird subject when it comes to a minimum wages…. Because minimum implies the bare bones, bottom end, and is that keeping up with inflation?

Between 2015 and today, how much less does your paycheque purchase if your pay has remained Static in that period? That would be the equivalent of a drop in income of what? 15%? 20%? Has the minimum wage increased by at least 20% just to keep up?

In the end, really the answer is now because even IF minimum wage goes up, everything else does too from prices on food and bills to taxes. IMO it's a never ending cycle of fighting for a 'living wage' but never getting it because everything else hikes up at the same time.

https://cepr.net/this-is-what-minimum-wage-would-be-if-it-kept-pace-with-productivity/ - this is the US but I'd imagine Canada would be similar in the basics?

https://www.retailcouncil.org/resources/quick-facts/minimum-wage-by-province/ - breakdown of minimum wage by province. Even with those provinces having 15 an hour, factor in the cost of living (whole cost, not just the one to have a roof over your head), fifteen does squat to help you.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I looked online for an inflation calculator for Canada in though I couldn’t find one I did find something…..& again assuming that the numbers are going to be similar… I simply plugged in the dates for the current Trudeau Gov’t reign (‘cuz…I had to put some dates in there):
1673138000780.jpeg
This really means little I guess, as it’s not very specific, beyond the fact that, unless your income has increased by at least 20% since Canada last had a balanced budget, you’re probably worse off than before 2015. That’s not singling out those at the bottom of the economic scale on minimum wage but everyone as a whole.

(This isn’t factoring in the crazy increase in the costs of Damn near everything going into 2023 either)

Now, and I’m just winging this here, but those on the Welfare, I’m assuming (I know) that their shelter and utilities and basic transportation and medications and food and clothing and basic grooming necessities are going to be covered…..vs $15/hr x 168hrs/month x 70% or so to factor out income tax and UIC & CCP, etc… who is further ahead?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I looked online for an inflation calculator for Canada in though I couldn’t find one I did find something…..& again assuming that the numbers are going to be similar… I simply plugged in the dates for the current Trudeau Gov’t reign (‘cuz…I had to put some dates in there):
View attachment 16940
This really means little I guess, as it’s not very specific, beyond the fact that, unless your income has increased by at least 20% since Canada last had a balanced budget, you’re probably worse off than before 2015. That’s not singling out those at the bottom of the economic scale on minimum wage but everyone as a whole.

Now, and I’m just winging this here, but those on the Welfare, I’m assuming (I know) that their shelter and utilities and basic transportation and medications and food and clothing and basic grooming necessities are going to be covered…..vs $15/hr x 168hrs/month x 70% or so to factor out income tax and UIC & CCP, etc… who is further ahead?

There's a reason why people who get on Welfare usually don't want to leave it after.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
But I guess since it was reported by Radio Canada, it's junk and fake news? Cause, you know, it's Liberal Media and works for the Libs.
Oh look, your bigotry is showing again!

and please, keep the "Trudeau is a loser!" type BS out of this,
Sure, wouldn't want to insult your personal hero who's responsible for it.
- what's the opinion on firms like this working for Government? From the article, too much of what it does - and how it was awarded the contracts - is too quiet. The public needs to know what's going on, especially since Government is spending OUR money for it.
Normally it does. These problems are largely exclusive to the liberals on the federal level. We didn't see this when harper was in or mulroney, we did see it for chretien of course (money in brown paper envelopes) and we've seen it tonnes with justin. But - there's no penalty for them. People like you will continue to vote for them (while hilariously claiming you don't trust the conservatives because they might not be honest) so really what's the motivation to stop? They'll continue to line the pockets of their friends at the expense of Canadians as long as people like you and the rest of his supporters decide that corruption isn't really a big problem.

There's always a way 'around' the system, and as long as the public is going to let the liberals get away with it then it's going to happen - i guess the rule is there's no crime if you can still win an election after doing it. Conservative voters have a history of punishing that kind of thing and so do the ndp (provincially) so we don't see it as much there.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
View attachment 16940

(This isn’t factoring in the crazy increase in the costs of Damn near everything going into 2023 either)

Well, in Ontario Welfare doesn't even cover basic living expenses. It's $733/mo for a single person. Even on ODSP it can be rough. A couple on ODSP gets around $1750/mo. It rent that's killing them. I mean we live in a two-bedroom ersatz townhouse and the rent is pretty fucking cheap (for Ontario) at $1094/mo. As a point of reference, 15 years ago we were paying less than $700/mo for the same place.
My neighbuor and his wife are on ODSP. In those 15 years their rent also increased by $400/mo while their ODSP had only increased by $200/mo over the same period. The funny part is ODSP comes in two parts, basic needs and shelter. They give you something like $750/mo for shelter (for a couple). There's no place I've seen available in Ontario where $750/mo would cover rent. If you're single, fugetaboutit. Unless you have family that will take you in, you're either looking at renting a room in someone's house or renting a room above a tavern.

It's the same with those on minimum wage. In Ontario, rent usually increases by around 2.5% a year. If you're stuck in a minimum wage job for 4 years, your rent has increased by at least 10% while your wage remains stagnant. Of course that's also true for a lot of people making more than minimum wage.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Really? Maybe where you live it is. It's not in most places.

Some are not 'worth' that? If what a person is "worth" equals pay, well, then none of us would be surviving now, would we?

Not sure what you're talking about in that last bit though so...
The last bit was direct from a friend a couple of days ago. She went into a local store, that is forced to pay staff over $15/hr to buy some stuff. The total came to exactly $12.00, so she gave the clerk a $20 bill. Unfortunately, the clerk forgot to push the change due button on the till and could not figure out how much change to give. Then, to compound the problem ,she called another clerk over, who couldn't figure it out either. Being in a hurry, Marilyn said just give me my $8.00, I have places to be. The clerk then asked her how she knew it was $8.00. So there we have $30+ worth of cost that can't figure out that 20-12=8.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I'd never heard of it either. I just heard it on the news today and thought not only was it an interesting story, but also a "The CBC isn't as Pro Liberal as you think" dig at those who want to kill it.
Even a clock shows the same time twice a day. The CBC still needs to be defunded. Just because they got a story right, doesn't mean they should still exist as they do. Just sayin....

Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
The last bit was direct from a friend a couple of days ago. She went into a local store, that is forced to pay staff over $15/hr to buy some stuff. The total came to exactly $12.00, so she gave the clerk a $20 bill. Unfortunately, the clerk forgot to push the change due button on the till and could not figure out how much change to give. Then, to compound the problem ,she called another clerk over, who couldn't figure it out either. Being in a hurry, Marilyn said just give me my $8.00, I have places to be. The clerk then asked her how she knew it was $8.00. So there we have $30+ worth of cost that can't figure out that 20-12=8.
That's what a "great" education system gets you apparently and has for awhile. I've encountered the same thing & it's puzzling until you find out what is actually being taught in education has nothing to do with getting the skills you require for work. It's been an issue for awhile.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Even a clock shows the same time twice a day. The CBC still needs to be defunded. Just because they got a story right, doesn't mean they should still exist as they do. Just sayin....

Hmn... a story? I've heard/read of a few stories that were also "right" lately.

Or maybe it's that the CBC ISN'T as biased as you want to believe?

• Haha
Reactions: Taxslave2

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Ah.

Well in the end, all that was just stupid on the clerks for not knowing basic math. I've also been told that in some businesses, you can't 'count back' the change to someone, you have to put in what they give you on the computer and give back what it tells you to. So when you get incidents like this, and clerks who obviously have math issues, they get stuck. Or panic, or get an anxiety attack and their brains turn to mush.

But for this incident... shows how bad some kids are taught (or how some adults are inept).

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
That's what a "great" education system gets you apparently and has for awhile. I've encountered the same thing & it's puzzling until you find out what is actually being taught in education has nothing to do with getting the skills you require for work. It's been an issue for awhile.

Well, to be "fair" it's hard to do math as they're taught in schools now in the matter of seconds with people impatiently waiting while you get out a piece of paper to figure the equation out.

But you're right, how kids are being taught has not helped the real life applications lately in certain areas.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, to be "fair" it's hard to do math as they're taught in schools now in the matter of seconds with people impatiently waiting while you get out a piece of paper to figure the equation out.

But you're right, how kids are being taught has not helped the real life applications lately in certain areas.
Plus the fact that doing things the simple, sensible way on the job's likely to get you fired. If the cashier had just popped the drawer and given the lady eight bucks, her manager probably woulda thrown a fit.

See, ya gotta follow the Correct Change Subroutine in the Automated Inventory and Receipts software. . .

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
They keep telling me welfare don't pay squat here either, but we do weekly meet draws at the local pub and there are three people I know for a fact are on welfare are always in there. I also have a friend that is a bartender in another town on the island and he had remarked on it as well.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
They keep telling me welfare don't pay squat here either, but we do weekly meet draws at the local pub and there are three people I know for a fact are on welfare are always in there. I also have a friend that is a bartender in another town on the island and he had remarked on it as well.

Welfare doesn't pay squat.

What you're likely seeing is people preferring the local pub to drink over, say, paying bills, getting groceries, looking for a suitable job (provided they can work). Cause those things get in the way of drinking.

Reactions: Dixie Cup